Any better than Dooley?

gasguy98

Ih8themaroonwave
Dooley should have beat LSU in his first year but didn't.
Dooley beat Cincy when he played Jones with this talent we see on the field now.

Jones almost beat UGA (minus two of their best O players). We did beat SC with a great play by North but every other competitive game has been a blowout and now we are seeing the team flat out give up.

I love the energy Jones brings, the cute slogans etc. but lets be honest....Dooley would have fared just as well this year. We see the exact same level of intensity that Dooley produced with pretty much the exact same results.

When SEC rivals set new records against team 117 it is not improvement. We simply have not improved one iota under Jones and it has me concerned that this turn around (if we are having one) is going to be a lot longer than many of us have the stomach for.

Fire away...

Reactions: 40 people
Dooley beat Cincy when he played Jones with this talent we see on the field now.

Jones almost beat UGA (minus two of their best O players). We did beat SC with a great play by North but every other competitive game has been a blowout and now we are seeing the team flat out give up.

I love the energy Jones brings, the cute slogans etc. but lets be honest....Dooley would have fared just as well this year. We see the exact same level of intensity that Dooley produced with pretty much the exact same results.

When SEC rivals set new records against team 117 it is not improvement. We simply have not improved one iota under Jones and it has me concerned that this turn around (if we are having one) is going to be a lot longer than many of us have the stomach for.

Fire away...

I will fire away. If you think we beat Jones' Cincy team with these players, then you are lost. We just lost two NFL WR's and and an NFL talent at QB. Comparing CBJ to Dooley is just ridiculous.

We need players, plain and simple. I feel sorry for people who don't understand this.

Reactions: 78 people

Fire away...

I miss Dooley's hair, but not his demotivational speeches. But this is looking in the past a bit.

Reactions: 1 person
I will fire away. If you think we beat Jones' Cincy team with these players, then you are lost. We just lost two NFL WR's and and an NFL talent at QB. Comparing CBJ to Dooley is just ridiculous.

We need players, plain and simple. I feel sorry for people who don't understand this.

What about the D Einstein?
We scored 23 points and gave up fifty whatever.

Reactions: 5 people

I feel sorry for everyone else having to put up with those people.

Reactions: 3 people

Fire away...

Dooley would not have beaten SC, so we would be 3-7 right now staring directly down the barrel of this program's first ever 8 loss season.

Go check the recruiting forum, you will feel better. Dooley would not have put that class together.

Reactions: 20 people
I don't know how long many of the posters on this site are but I suspect the average age to be about 25. I have a bit more time watching Tennessee football and I can tell you that even during Majors growing pains the team was almost always competitive.

Reactions: 8 people
I agree...the blind loyalty here toward butch is sickening.....it was just like this as well when Dooley was here.....anyone loyal to butch at this point should go join a cult...guy has proven zero so far...only bright spot Is recruiting...

Reactions: 19 people
Dooley would not have beaten SC, so we would be 3-7 right now staring directly down the barrel of this program's first ever 8 loss season.

Go check the recruiting forum, you will feel better. Dooley would not have put that class together.

Point taken. However Dooley did come within a tenth of a millimeter of beating LSU, on the road no less.

I sure hope we see something next year

Reactions: 2 people

We're staring at an 8 loss season THIS year,genius.

Reactions: 13 people
Clearly an upgrade in recruiting. In coaching...I'm not seeing a significant improvement.

Reactions: 6 people
It's really easy to pick apart this coaching staff after we lose. But I see a difference between the play calling now and when Dooley was around. Our defense blows, plain and simple, I don't see neyland coming back and making this defense any better. I think it will get better with time, but damn it feels like eternity.

On a side note, dobbs isn't going to get us to the promise land, ya maybe when hes a senior but not this or next year. Either ferguson better be badass or recruit a better qb.

Ok, u said fire away... This only requires one bullet.....

BANG, you are a F'n idiot!!!

...see one bullet, and I hit the bullseye.

Last edited:
i actually don't think that Dooley was as bad as some on here say,if Wilcox and company had of been retained,i do think that CDD would still be coaching and you have to remember,scoring points wasn't his problem

Reactions: 2 people
I don't know how long many of the posters on this site are but I suspect the average age to be about 25. I have a bit more time watching Tennessee football and I can tell you that even during Majors growing pains the team was almost always competitive.

I've thought about this.

Pace of play is much faster these days (more scoring), passing games are more prolific (more scoring) and there is less sportsmanship, i.e. more pouring on the points.

I truly believe that contributes for worse blow-outs than what we saw in eras past.

Also, our conference is much tougher than it used to be.

I don't think we are necessarily any worse than those late 70s Majors teams, but because of various factors like those listed above the point differentials are worse.

Majors was 4-7 his first season. He had non-winning seasons in 3 of his first 4 seasons. Rebuilding jobs never happen immediately.

The program was a mess when Majors came back. It was in every bit as much of a mess when Butch arrived.

I don't like losing either, but you have to give a new coach time.

Reactions: 10 people

VN Store

Back