How big of an upset would this be?

BanditVol

Florida 1998? No, that sprang us to the national title but we were ranked.

Miami 1985? Maybe, but again, we were SEC champions, ranked and in the Sugar bowl, so no again.

Bammer 1982? Well, now the parallels are there. Bammer was no. 1 in the country. It was Bear Bryant's last year (though that wasn't known at the time, I think). We were coming off a long down period, even longer than today. Bammer had won 11 in a row on us vs. the current streak of 6.

On the other hand, in 1982, bammer was 3 years removed from back to back championships, vs having won 3 of the last 4. So while we might have been beat down a bit more in 1982, or have been down a longer time (and I'm not even sure about that?) bammer was a bit more removed from it's championship run of the late 70s.

OTOH, since bammer is going for an unprecedented 3-peat in national championships, this could well be a bigger upset than 1982.

It's very close!

Not saying we WILL upset them at all...just saying that if we do, it might be the biggest since our original upset of them in 1926 first put us on the map. :rock:

Some incentive, maybe.....:)

Reactions: 2 people
I know this much. The folks saying we have no chance are really starting to piss me off. They play the game for a reason.

GBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 9 people
You know, stranger things have happened...an upstart, fired up team believing in themselves can take down any ranked opponent that is operating on cruise control...will we win? Who knows, but I think they (BAMA) might just crap their collective pants somewhere during the course of the game. :pepper:

Way bigger than UF 1998 and Miami 1985. Closer to Alabama 1982, but that Alabama team ended up 8-4 and in the Liberty Bowl.

Reactions: 1 person
Very, very big upset, and our team can do it, not easy at all, but they can do it.

I'll be pretty happy if at least they are worried in the fourth quarter.

But regardless, GO VOLS!

Uh...let's see...

Tennessee vs Alabama is one of the richest rivalries in the history of college football

We've owned them....and they've owned us...through the years

They are the reigning (3 out of the last 4 years) National Champion....

We are just a few months from being a dumpster fire with an almost dozen year run of bad karma...

They are Bama and we HATE them...

Uh........pretty much the BIGGEST EVER!!!!

Reactions: 4 people
This would be bigger than 1982 because that great win was at home, this feat is attempted at TTown! Would be the biggest upset in TN football history

david-and-goliath.jpg

Bigger than this!

Goliath was only favored by 19.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 people
If by some way we was to pull an upset off saturday it would by far be the biggest upset in TN history seeing how what all has happened the last 6 to 7 yrs. Could possibly be the biggest upset in college FB in a long time. GO VOLS!

In terms of the point spread it would be historically huge. 28 point underdogs don't win very often.

Interesting side not, Louisiana-Monroe was a 24 point dog when they beat Alabama in 2007.

I know our team is playing with some fire but its going to take a absolute miracle to pull this off saturday. We are going to have to have a lot of things to go our way saturday. All the bounses are going to have to go our way. GO VOLS!

Reactions: 3 people
Hell I'll be happy if we make it a game for 4 quarters and I have full faith we can with good execution. I trust Butch has our boys grounded and not listening to any type of hype going into this game.

Reactions: 2 people
This would be monumental on a national scale not just on a UT history scale. Look how much press A&M garnered from beating Bama. The difference here would be it would be a team win not a Johnny Football show.

If we get after their Quarterback, harass his ass all game, convert a couple of turnovers into touchdowns (need ball to bounce our way) and ALSO score a couple of touchdowns on offense, we would scare their ass good.

Defense
1-Stop the run
2-Force QB to throw
3-Get Pressure, create turnovers

Offense
1-Must be able to run enough to have manageable down/distance
2-Convert red zone opportunities into Touchdowns
3-Be patient, do not get baited into pick 6 etc.
4-Protect football

Not many are giving us a snowball's chance in hell. But I am beginning to like the energy that surrounds this team. I think it would do wonders for this team's confidence if they are within striking distance at the end of the game.

VN Store

Back