Whatever happened to Steve Kiner?

holtridge

Anybody have any info on Steve Kiner about what he is doing these days? Would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

He was on The Book of Manning .Talking about our 38-0 azz whippin from Ole Miss in 1969 and the Archie Who deal .

He was on the "Book of Manning" briefly, talking about the comments he made prior to the 1969 season, which unfortunately contributed to the 38-0 mauling at the hands of Ole Miss.

Here is the link to a lengthy article about Steve, most of which pertains to his subsequent career with the Dallas Cowboys: http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/headlines/20100518-Sherrington-The-curious-case-of-9746.ece. It states that Steve went on to earn two Master's degrees and has been in health care for over twenty years now.

Last time I saw him, he was sitting in the middle of the Arkansas Section waving a Huge Power T Flag (Orange and White) the entire game. 1971 Liberty Bowl. Arkansas vs Tennessee.

He was seriously going to whip some Azz don't think anybody crossed him in that game.

That flag never stopped Moving....

Reactions: 1 person
He and Hacksaw were the best! He had a nose for the football when Hacksaw busted it loose.

He and Hacksaw were the best! He had a nose for the football when Hacksaw busted it loose.

I saw Hacksaw at a Volwalk back in 06 and was shocked to see how small he was considering what a beast he was on the field. His bio says he was 6'1" 232 and that is what he looked like when he played. I would guess he's 5'10" 230 now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I saw Hacksaw at a Volwalk back in 06 and was shocked to see how small he was considering what a beast he was on the field. His bio says he was 6'1" 232 and that is what he looked like when he played. I would guess he's 5'10" 230 now.

I thought the same thing the couple of times that I have seen Jim Taylor (who used to play fullback for the Packers alongside Paul Hornung). They just loomed larger than life back in those days. :hi:

Anybody have any info on Steve Kiner about what he is doing these days? Would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

think he is back living in Tampa. Does a lot of fund raising for Walter Chadwick a team mate who is disabled.

He lives in Ga, and I speak with him from time to time. I played ball with his little brother Kelly at Livingston University, now UWA. I maintain communication with him about 2-3 times a year. Great person and a hell of a player for the big orange. Still a huge fan of Steve's.

think he is back living in Tampa. Does a lot of fund raising for Walter Chadwick a team mate who is disabled.

His brother lives in Tampa where they had a string of florist shops but Kelly is a city planner for Tampa. Steve has been in Ga for about 15 years, unless he moved since the start of the year.

I didn't read any of the articles but we've narrowed down his place of residence to Georgia, Memphis, and Florida...

He lives in Atlanta and if you are on facebook and he knows you are a Vol fan.....friend him. Vol legend and very humble man.

He lives in Atlanta and if you are on facebook and he knows you are a Vol fan.....friend him. Vol legend and very humble man.

I think he is a pychiatrist. If you have ever read Cowboys Were Always My Heroes, which is an oral history of the Dallas Cowboys, there is quite a lot about Kiner, even though his stay was quite short, and he was more famous for his antics than his play on the field. He roomed with Duane Thomas which was a story in and of itself. There is a story where he and Thomas went to Hollywood in the off season and kiner literally went off his rocker and whipped everybody in a bar. Kiner also was famous for beating up Rupert Breedlove, an incoming and I believe first African American basketball player for the Vols. I've also heard the one about Eddie a Brown getting the best of a Kiner. Kiner was a rabble rouser, to put it mildly.

VN Store

Back