Fulmer Debate II

There was no manipulation of facts or "spinning" to twist the discussion into my benefit. I simply posted the facts.

Does CPF have an excellent record in the SEC during the course of his overall career? Yes...certainly. Did he compile most of those wins and stats during a time when the SEC wasn't balanced and was dominated by basically two teams (Florida and Tennessee)? Yes.

Those are facts of the discussion that you chose to ignore.

If anyone has "spun" anything here it was yourself by going completely off track and inserting a remark about BHO that has NOTHING to do with this discussion nor do I even support that administration.

Plus it wasn't like he was taking over a TN program that was in bad shape like it is now!

There was no manipulation of facts or "spinning" to twist the discussion into my benefit. I simply posted the facts.

Does CPF have an excellent record in the SEC during the course of his overall career? Yes...certainly. Did he compile most of those wins and stats during a time when the SEC wasn't balanced and was dominated by basically two teams (Florida and Tennessee)? Yes.

Those are facts of the discussion that you chose to ignore.

If anyone has "spun" anything here it was yourself by going completely off track and inserting a remark about BHO that has NOTHING to do with this discussion nor do I even support that administration.

You missed the point. You downgrade (spin) CPF's record by saying the SEC was bad. Instead of celebrating his accomplishment, the entire conference was so bad, that must be the reason for his success. The record speaks for itself. And since you are so good at spinning CPF's record, Obama could use you to spin his healthcare plan. I never said you supported it or him. It was just an analogy. sheesh.

Plus it wasn't like he was taking over a TN program that was in bad shape like it is now!
technically, no he didnt. But in reality it was he that built it then was promoted from within so unlike Majors, Kiffin, Dooley, and Jones, CPF didnt walk in off the streets cold.

From Majors onset in 1977 until 1988 (the year before CPF was made OC), the team was 82-53-6 or 58% winning record. During that time they averaged 6.8 wins per year.

In 1989 CPF was promoted from line coach to OC. From 89-92 (the infamous split year but he was still OC), they were 38-9-2 or 77.6%. They averaged 9.5 wins per year.

While he took over a better team, he was part of the building of that better team.

Reactions: 7 people
While he took over a better team, he was part of the building of that better team.

Why do so many have so much trouble with this?

Phil literally held this team together at the end. I love Johnny, but the reality is Phil built Tennessee into the powerhouse we were, and it started when he became OC and RC.

Reactions: 10 people
So the gist of it is we have extremely unrealistic fans. They were spoiled under Fulmer for a long time. When hard times come like they always do he was solely to blame.

Reactions: 2 people
This thread isn't the same without Gibbs.

It wouldn't surprise me if utgibbs isn't hanging out under a new username on Volnation.

I think everyone knows we have a good egg in Butch Jones. That's why the epic beatdown by Oregon was a surprise. The loss wasn't a surprise, but everyone expected positives to be taken away. It didn't happen. We can still make that happen this week.

Until a coach can get us back into Atlanta though, this thread will live on. That's just what happens when you fire a HoF coach in midseason and don't hire Jon Gruden. It becomes epic infamous if you hire a septuagenarian DC and his son to come coach your team instead of Jon Gruden and his posse.

:hi:

It wouldn't surprise me if utgibbs isn't hanging out under a new username on Volnation.

I think everyone knows we have a good egg in Butch Jones. That's why the epic beatdown by Oregon was a surprise. The loss wasn't a surprise, but everyone expected positives to be taken away. It didn't happen. We can still make that happen this week.

Until a coach can get us back into Atlanta though, this thread will live on. That's just what happens when you fire a HoF coach in midseason and don't hire Jon Gruden. It becomes epic infamous if you hire a septuagenarian DC and his son to come coach your team instead of Jon Gruden and his posse.

:hi:

i wonder what name gibbs has chosen.

hmmm?

You are utterly stupid. We had a horrible record, until he was named OC, after which we got two sec championships. No I am not giving him HC credit, but we were sucking big time until he was named OC....and that is a fact. Remember that reporter that refused to leave the booth until we won? He was a big part of why we did win those championships, and he is also the guy that carried the team when Majors went MIA on the team. Majors had health issues, and also some things in his personal life. Not blaming him for his issues, but Fulmer was the one who came in and saved the season. You must get your info from johnny cause that is simply NOT how it went down.......If Fulmer didn't become OC, I really doudt we would have got those two SEC titles. We were sucking big time prior to that.

Apparently, you've forgotten about the SEC title in 1985. Yeah, Fulmer was there but as OL coach, which BTW, he was top notch.

If I had to choose the biggest win for UT in my lifetime, it would be the 1986 Sugar Bowl victory over a heavily favored Miami team. It put us back on the map of national relevance.

Reactions: 1 person
just like Majors was for Bama

Majors did win four in a row over Bama during a time when they were better than the years in which we dominated them in the mid to late nineties.

The victory over Bama in 1982 sent Bear to his grave.

But you're right when speaking of Majors entire time at UT. He seemed to "choke up" coaching against them similarly to the manner in which Fulmer "choked up" against Florida

Who had a bigger impact on their HC as OC? Fulmer to Majors or Cutcliffe to Fulmer? Majors won a SEC without Fulmer as OC. Fulmer NEVER won a SEC without Cutcliffe as OC.

Bringing up the BS that Fulmer built UT before he was HC is silly, but since some of you know-nothings want to do it, I have no problem bringing the other side into it and handing you your azzes on a silver platter:birgits_giggle:

VN Store

Back