Can we fix our KICKOFF CHANT?

BigSteve09

Moran
A lot of schools have unique chants and/or cheers during their kickoffs. In many ways, it's the final acknowledgement and congratulations to the offense's drive and score. Sometimes it's to celebrate the start of a game. It's a battle cry before the defense takes the field. It amps up the special teams to run down the field and lay someone out or force a turnover.

It's only right that UT should have one.
Kickoff of the 2010 Tennessee Vols Season! - YouTube
(2010...sigh)

They all start the same: the fans, in unison slowly build up a "Oooooohhhh" or "Aaaaaaaahhhh"

The energy builds, the volume grows, the team starts running down the field, and the kicker boots the ball.

This is the climax of the experience. The fans are supposed to yell their unique chant or cheer for the team. For instance, UGA fans bark. Alabama fans yell RTR.

As illustrated by the video above, our big kickoff chant is "Aaaaaahhh Boom!" Or "Aaaaaaahh Yuuh!"

Why can't we decide on something a little more complex than the drunken cry of 100,000+ mesmerized by foot-to-pigskin contact? Boom and Yuuh aren't really synonymous with UT or anything that we do here.

What about: Aaaaahhh...U-T Vols!
Or something where we can turn the "U" sound that we all want to make into an actual cheer.

Just adding two syllables to the kickoff takes it from us just yelling nonsense to us chanting something that everyone can get in on. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Does this drive anyone else crazy?

Before people come in here caps locking "WE NEED TO WIN GAMES BEFORE WE CARE ABOUT KICKOFF CHANTS" just know that football season is coming up, and it's inevitable that our fans are going to yell. We're loud, we get wild, we like to chant and sing and yell all sorts of stuff. Might as well agree on something and get it going.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
I agree. My friends and I always say U-T on the kick-off but obviously just a few people out of a 100,000 isn't going to come out very audible.

Reactions: 1 person
For a whole season some friends and I tried to implement
Aaaaaaahhh Uuu-niversityOfTennesseeMakingTheSouthlandProudOneKickoffAtATime!!

I would jumble it up depending on the drinks

Reactions: 3 people
I say we all chant "Buuuutttcccchhhhhhh" when the kicker starts making his way toward the ball and the "Slapped!" After he kicks it.

Reactions: 28 people
Maybe we can get the Jumbotron to spell out "U T VOLS!" at the right time during the kickoff to get everyone on the same page. I don't know who you would ask to make that happen.

:salute:

I say we all chant "Buuuutttcccchhhhhhh" when the kicker starts making his way toward the ball and the "Slapped!" After he kicks it.

This is freaking GENIUS

Maybe we can get the Jumbotron to spell out "U T VOLS!" at the right time during the kickoff to get everyone on the same page. I don't know who you would ask to make that happen.

:salute:

That's a good idea too

Nearly every other school in the country has cheers or chants. UT has none, never has. You would think with 4 sides/ends of the stadium you could have the West sideline yell "V", the East sideline yell "O", the North endzone yell "L", and the South endzone yell "S". I believe the UT cheerleader tried it in the '90's and it never took.

Nearly every other school in the country has cheers or chants. UT has none, never has. You would think with 4 sides/ends of the stadium you could have the West sideline yell "V", the East sideline yell "O", the North endzone yell "L", and the South endzone yell "S". I believe the UT cheerleader tried it in the '90's and it never took.

Given how many fans we have at the games and how loud we get, you'd think we would have implemented something fun or something insanely intimidating for kickoffs.

Our kickoffs are largely apathetic.

Given how many fans we have at the games and how loud we get, you'd think we would have implemented something fun or something insanely intimidating for kickoffs.

Our kickoffs are largely apathetic.

Our fans are largely apathetic!

The only way it'll happen is if Butch tells us to yell something. As much as I HATE UGA, the gooooo dawgs sick em is epic

If there's one thing the past 5 years have taught us, it's that you never, ever incorporate a coach's name into a chant or screen name.

Reactions: 5 people
The only way it'll happen is if Butch tells us to yell something. As much as I HATE UGA, the gooooo dawgs sick em is epic

I don't like it at all. I went to the game last year at UGA. They all try to bark and it sounds like they are trying to mimic the sound of monkeys. Probably could use some tweaking.

Thryve done it more recently than that. Not sure why they don't try to make it stick

VN Store

Back