The Legend of Doug Atkins.

Sgt_Nick_Fury

Danneskjöld's love child.
Of all the Tennessee players Peyton included I'm not sure anyone has reached the mythical and legendary status of Atkins. I have heard he is still living in the Knoxville area, and has not been doing well. Guys like him really made the NFL, and they didn't get paid much for their efforts or their pain. If someone like Doug were alive today they'd be a multimillionaire. I kinda wish TN would allow people to buy Atkins Jersey's (they won't let you make one) But I wish they would sell them, and give him some royalties. Many people walk by his poster in front of Neyland...and are just unaware of who he was.... Atkins is LEGEND...

Doug Atkins is a UT football deity if ever there was one. Just wanted to put a thread up with links and info on him.

Great video:
Top Ten Pass Rushers: Doug Atkins - NFL Videos

1a147cdee6e120474831fdd9ce0289d064ba9cbb.jpg

Last edited:
First video up top is my favorite but NFL won't allow it to be posted on you tube..you have to hit the link, this is a great interview of him though.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlHkwS7fJAk[/youtube]

1:25 look at them paws!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
LOL sounds like a Doug story... I'm trying to find where I read about the tractor story..... where at the Bears practice field, he saw a tractor in a field, and would disappear from practice and they'd see he'd taken off in the tractor for fun.

There's another story that after the Saints games he'd go looking for bars with a bunch of bikes outfront, and go in and pick a fight, 6 bikers vs Doug Atkins was considered a fair fight........The thing about Atkins stories is I dunno how many are true and how many are myth.... I do know that he is the only player Butkus ever said he was scared of....and that's better then most myths.

I saw his rookie jersey ( he was drafted and played two seasons with Browns ) hanging in a store in Milan,Tn. years ago I could have used it for a tent it was huge.

Len Dawson tells the story of the first time he ever saw Doug Atkins, " It was the only time in my career I was glad I wasn`t starting."

My dad and I watched Doug play at UT when I was just a kid. He and my dad were close friends and remained so through the years. While I was in high school, Doug once held his big arm out and I did a chinup on his arm and I wasn't a little guy!

Here's a photo of Doug and my dad from around 56 or '57. For size reference, dad was 6' tall.

A great guy with a great sense of humor.

Attachments

• JPG CS Doug & Daddy023.jpg
    JPG CS Doug & Daddy023.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 21
From above article with manning...
Manning: How would you describe your
relationship with General Neyland?

Atkins: Well, you couldn’t talk directly to
Neyland, because he did all the talking. He
would talk tough and later in private, I think,
he sat back and laughed at his handling of
each situation He used that old Army stuff. He
figured out and did what he had to do to get
his players to play their best. Overall, I got
along with him pretty good, even though at one
time during my stay at Tennessee I was kicked
out of school by Neyland to knock me into line.

Manning: Do you feel that playing at
Tennessee helped you become a better player
in professional football?

Atkins: Oh, yeah. I don’t think I could have
learned to play football if it hadn’t been for
General Neyland. He stressed and taught
football fundamentals. As a result, when I got
to the pros, the fundamentals of football became automatic. The only thing I had (to) learn was
pass (rushing). In the 1950s in the Southeastern Conference we didn’t get to rush the passer that
much, and that was the tough part of the game for me to learn in the pros. I guess Vanderbilt
and Kentucky were the only passing teams we played.

If I recall correctly when he got kicked out briefly among other things it was for throwing beer cans from a balcony, think there was a final straw that involved a late night drive.....lol. Sounds familiar.

He worked with my Dad for quite a few years and was a good family friend. They lost touch over the years but I remember being about 8 and going to visit him and his wife (who was at an assisted living facility).

My favorite story he told me was how he was at Bears training camp and the rookies were staying in the room above him. He said they were partying and making all kinds of noise. He then told how he grabbed a shotgun, said for them to shut up, and proceeded to shoot at the ceiling. No one was injured, but he said they never made another sound all camp.

Reactions: Volbackhomefromtx
I once heard Johnny Unitas speak and in the Q&A, someone asked him about the hardest he had ever been hit. Without hesitation, he said they were playing the Bears when Atkins and Butkus played. He said he dropped back to pass and Atkins hit him high and the last thing he remembered was Butkus shouting to Atkins to "hold him up til I get there!"

That had to be a fright.

Just found this....

Which brings me to my favorite Doug Atkins story ... one he told me every year we worked together for his annual golf tourney to help Lupus victims. And, forgive me Doug if I get any of this wrong, but it has been 20 years.

The Chicago Bears always held their training camp near a little town in central Indiana on the campus of St. Joseph's College. It was a dry county, the campus surrounded by cornfields, and miles and miles from any city big enough to find trouble. But knowing the situation he was living in for those 8 weeks a year, Doug ALWAYS came prepared ... with plenty of gin and vermouth and a case of olives. Along with his handy 9 mm that went everywhere with him, especially any stadium that might contain pigeons.

This particular training camp had several malcontents, including Mike Ditka, who was quoted as saying "That tight son-of-a-***** throws nickles around like they were man-hole covers. " Of course, referring to George Halas, owner, head coach, GM and contract negotiator. Which prompted Doug to take a more forward and direct approach to re-negotiating his contract. A couple weeks after training camp opened, Doug and a few teammates were putting a serious dent in the gin stash. And Doug was drinking in proportion to his size. The more they drank, the madder they got over their contracts. The madder they got, the more determined Doug was to do something about it. So with all his friends egging him on, Doug storms out of the dormitory, after curfew, jumps into his car, and heads off to Chicago to have a "face-to-face with that SOB". He navigates through the cornfields, winds his way through the suburbs, and faces the traffic of the Big City to find himself on George Halas' doorstep. Still filled with rage, this behemoth man takes his massive fist and starts beating on hallas' front door, hard enough to nearly knock it off it's hinges. In no time at all, the front door opens, and to Doug's surprise, it wasn't George answering, but his wife.

"Well Doug, what brings you out on such a lovely evening?" she asked. Now Doug was raised as a Southern Gentleman, born in Tennessee, played in Tennessee, and never lost touch with those roots. So as politely as possible, Doug said: "'Scuse me Ms Halas, but may I please see that ... I am sorry for the time ma'am ... Is George here?" Seeing he was extremely angry and at some level beyond tipsy, Mrs. Halas invited Doug in, had him sit down, and then asked: "Why Doug, aren't you supposed to be at training camp?" "Yes ma'am." "And isn't it past curfew?" "Yes ma'am." "And wasn't Coach Halas at training camp with you today?" "Yes, ma'am." "Well then Doug, don't you suppose he's still there?" It was not until that exact moment that Doug realized he'd driven all the way to Chicago, while Hallas was sleeping quietly 3 doors down in the dorm. "Well Doug, I'll get you a raise right now. I won't tell George that you broke curfew, saving you a $250.00 fine. You can go tell your teammates you got a raise, and if you hurry, you can be back in bed before they find you're gone."

Had the honor of meeting him and Larry Seivers at the same time at an autograph signing years ago it is so rare to meet people you grew up watching and they turn out to be all you could hope for. Both acted as if I were doing them a favor allowing them to sign some helmets. Doug even joked the Manning auto would be worth less after he signed it . I told him it did not matter to me because you can not put a price on memories. What humble men seems like I have been truly blessed. My sons look at their UT collection daily

Atkins also was a fun loving guy and had little tolerance for any type of administrative restrictiveness. he played the game with abandon, but did not wish to be subjected to many rules off the field. For that reason, he often proved irksome to Bears leader George Halas who preferred everyone to conform. In one famous story, Halas attempted to administer punishment to Atkins for an infraction, yelling, "Take a lap-and wear your helmet!" Except for wearing his helmet as instructed, Atkins appeared for his run in the nude.

How could you NOT love having a drink with that guy! :D Forget the autograph I'd just like to have a beer with that man.

Los Angelas Times said:
"...Warning: If you put sports figures on a pedestal as examples for your children, do not allow them to read further.

The old Bears have some stories to tell.

Williams played in the Pro Bowl four times, but he is best remembered as the man Coach George Halas assigned to make sure 6-foot 7-inch, 290-pound defensive end Doug Atkins stayed out of harm's way when he was off the field.

The problem, Halas recalled later, was that Atkins could drink 12 martinis without feeling the effects. Williams usually was out after two drinks as if he had been hit in the head by Big Daddy Lipscomb's forearm shiver. If Atkins got into trouble, Williams didn't know about it until the next day, Halas said.

Williams doesn't recall it exactly like that. He said Atkins once challenged him to a martini-drinking contest. Even though they tied at 21, Williams claims he should have been declared the winner because he had to drive Atkins home. But even Williams admits there should be an asterisk by his name because of what happened afterward.

Upon arriving home, he took a bath. Then, he couldn't get out of the bathtub.

Williams' wife didn't think it was enough of an emergency to summon the police or the fire department. Still, she needed help to get her husband out of the bathtub. She called Atkins.

Ever since, Atkins has claimed he was the winner of the martini-drinking contest.

Then there was the time Atkins assaulted a man with a $20 bill. He and Williams were in a bar one Sunday night when another customer began complaining because the Bears hadn't beaten the point spread in the game that afternoon. The man said he had lost a $20 bet.

Atkins listened for a while, then pulled a $20 bill out of his pocket and rubbed it in the man's face until his nose began bleeding.

Then there was Atkins and the pigeons. During one workout at Wrigley Field, all the Bears were accounted for except Atkins.

"Where's Atkins?" Halas screamed.

Finally, one of the Bears spotted Atkins in the upper deck behind homeplate.

"Atkins," Halas yelled. "What in the hell are you doing up there?"

"Talking to the pigeons," Atkins said.

Halas once complained to Atkins about his poor practice habits.

"You don't pay me enough to play and practice," said Atkins, the only player on the team Halas allowed to talk back to him. That, Halas once explained, was because Atkins was the only player who knew almost as many curse words as he did.

While the other players sweated through two-a-day drills during training camp, Atkins often could be found on the sidelines, playing with his dog, a Rottweiler named Rebel.

Of course, Atkins' idea of playing with his 100-pound dog wasn't telling him to roll over. His idea of playing with the dog was to twirl him around at the end of a rope. If you can picture the hammer throw, you've got the idea.

Rebel took orders well. So did Atkins' teammates.

After workouts at the Bears' training camp in Rensselaer, Ind., Atkins invited other players, usually rookies, to his room to drink and listen to him tell stories. The word invited is used loosely. No one can remember anyone being man enough to turn him down. Only when Atkins gave his approval could the players leave these sessions, some of which lasted until dawn.

Just to make sure no one sneaked out, Atkins stationed Rebel at the door."

Anyone got a pic of Atkins with Rebel?
xRottweiler-9.jpg.pagespeed.ic.9WeqCpcbzB.jpg

Doug Atkins was possibly the best player ever at UT and many have never heard of him because he played so long ago. I remember John Ward and Bill Anderson speaking of how they thought he was possibly the best they had ever seen, and John and Bill certainally saw some great ones.

VN Store

Back