3039 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Oregon vs. Tenn. within the forum Tennessee Vols Football. Here's a pretty good analysis of the Ducks by position at the end of spring practice. Thought you guys might ...

Go Back   VolNation > Tennessee Vols Forums > Tennessee Vols Football

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2013, 08:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Oregon vs. Tenn

Here's a pretty good analysis of the Ducks by position at the end of spring practice. Thought you guys might find it of value.

Projected Post-Spring Two-Deep Depth Chart

OFFENSE

QB Marcus Mariota (So.), Jake Rodrigues (RFr.)
RB Byron Marshall (So.), De'Anthony Thomas (Jr.)
WR Josh Huff (Sr.), Eric Dungy (Jr.)
WR Keanon Lowe (Jr.), B.J. Kelley (So.)
SLOT Bralon Addison (So.), Daryle Hawkins (Sr.)
TE Colt Lyerla (Jr.), Pharaoh Brown (So.)
LT Tyler Johnstone (So.), James Euscher (So.)
LG Mana Greig (Sr.), Andre Yruretagoyena (So.)
C Hroniss Grasu (Jr.), Karrington Armstrong (Sr.)
RG Hamani Stevens (Jr.), Everett Benyard (Sr.)
RT Jake Fisher (Jr.), James Euscher (So.)

DEFENSE

DE Taylor Hart (Sr.), DeForest Buckner (So.)
NT Wade Keliikipi (Sr.), Alex Balducci (So.)
DT Ricky Havili-Heimuli (Sr.), Arik Armstead (So.)
DROP Tony Washington (Jr.), Christian French (So.)
SAM Bo Lokombo (Sr.), Tyson Coleman (So.)
MIKE Tyson Coleman (So.), Joe Walker (So.)
WILL Derrick Malone (Jr.), Rahim Cassell (So.)
CB Terrance Mitchell (Jr.), Dior Mathis (Jr.)
CB Ifo Ekpre-Olomu (Jr.), Troy Hill (Jr.)
S Erick Dargan (Jr.), Avery Patterson (Sr.)
S Brian Jackson (Sr.), Avery Patterson (Sr.)

SPECIAL TEAMS

K Alejandro Maldonado (Sr.), Matt Wogan (Fr.)
P Dylan Ausherman (Jr.), Alejandro Maldonado (Sr.)
KR De'Anthony Thomas (Jr.), Keanon Lowe (Jr.)
PR De'Anthony Thomas (Jr.), Bralon Addison (So.)
H Dustin Haines (Sr.)
LS Drew Howell (Sr.)
KO Matt Wogan (Fr.), Alejandro Maldonado (Sr.)

Position Notes

Quarterback Only question at quarterback is who backs up Mariota. Rodrigues and Lockie were reportedly neck and neck throughout the spring, but if we have to choose one, Rodrigues appears to be the safest choice based on his combination of superior size, athleticism, and arm strength.

Running back Toss up here as far who will actually "start". Marshall and Thomas are virtually interchangeable at this point and it would come as no surprise either way to see either player get the nod. Expect true freshman Thomas Tyner to join the mix when he arrives on campus this summer.

Wide receiver The Ducks are as solid through their two-deep at receiver as they've been since before Chip Kelly was anointed head coach in 2009. Huff, Lowe, and Addison figure to be your starters, with reserves such as Dungy, Kelley, Hawkins, and redshirt freshman Chance Allen providing the bulk of the immediate depth.

Tight end Lyerla owns the starting tight end spot with Brown more or less locking up the backup job with his overall performance this past spring. Sophomores Koa Ka'ai and T.J. Daniel, along with redshirt freshman Evan Baylis, will receive their reps, but the two-deep currently belongs to Lyerla and Brown.

Offensive line Oregon feels good about their situations at both tackle positions and center, however both guard spots could be tricky to navigate this season. With Greig coming off knee surgery from last fall, the Ducks will rely heavily on Stevens and Yruretagoyena to provide consistency there. Fortunately for Oregon, they've recruited versatile players who can more or less be "plug and play", though their depth in experience won't be nearly as deep as it was in previous campaigns.

Defensive line Perhaps the deepest position on the Oregon roster. The Ducks will rely on seniors Hart, Keliikipi, and Havili-Heimuli and rotate liberally with talented underclassmen like Buckner, Armstead, and Balducci providing most of the reserve reps.

Linebacker Far and away the most difficult position to project this upcoming season. The only truly known quantities from this group are Lokombo and Washington, but Malone, Coleman, Cassell, and junior Rodney Hardrick are all versatile enough to play virtually any of the linebacker positions. Keep a close eye on junior college transfer Joe Walker who had arguably the best spring of any linebacker on the roster.

Defensive back The one position that rivals defensive line when it comes to overall depth. The corners are set with Mitchell and Ekpre-Olomu and the safety positions are stocked with experience and proven production in Dargan, Jackson, and Patterson. Hill and Mathis provide the Ducks will solid depth behind Mitchell and Ekpre-Olomu at corner, and redshirt freshman Reggie Daniels is a rising star at safety.

Kicker The battle at kicker seems to rest on Maldonado's consistency and incoming freshman Matt Wogan's ability to prove a worthy challenger this fall. Maldonado gave onlookers promise when he buried a 48-yard field goal in the spring game, though still has many on-field demons to conquer in order to solidify "starter" status.
VN Likes: 7
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Their guards till know McCullers soon
VN Likes: 3
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Negalicious

We're getting pummeled this game imo. Too early in the year with too many questions at key positions for us, on the road, etc.. Probably something like a 38 - 20 score.
VN Likes: 6
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-21-2013, 08:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Big Member

I would rather we not go. When the opposing team qb is faster than every defensive player, it'snotgood.com
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

I agree woth Fade, just being realistic as we don't have the speed nor depth. I am afraid the Ducks will hang over 40 on us.

Will someone pls tell me what the "like" option is for? I rarely post - thanks.

Last edited by vol94; 07-21-2013 at 08:54 AM..
VN Likes: 3
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-21-2013, 09:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

Vol94 it just just gives you the option to let the person know you agree with or "like" what they had to say.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

I think the Vols will hang in there defensively a good part of the night...as long as we find a QB that can just play steady and not beat ourselves early. A turnover here and there and a little luck and we could still be hanging around in the 4th qtr with a chance. No doubt the Ducks are going to get some big plays. Just can't let them run away with it in the first half. Gotta create a little doubt in their minds for the second half.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
GATOR HATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by vol94 View Post
I agree woth Fade, just being realistic as we don't have the speed nor depth. I am afraid the Ducks will hang over 40 on us.

Will someone pls tell me what the "like" option is for? I rarely post - thanks.
Basically if you like what someone posted, agree, found it funny, whatever click the like. It's just an Internet thumbs up.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-21-2013, 09:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

my fear is ducks kill us then go to Fla the next weekget killed again n team never recovers... that will make for a long year.
VN Likes: 5
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-21-2013, 09:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
Yes to Olympic wrestling.

Thanks GoDucks! Do you mind if we send this to DBJ and the coaching staff?

On a more serious note, I was surprised to see Lyerla at TE. I remember when he was being recruited that they thought he'd be the next Uhrlacher...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brian-urlacher-getty.jpg (19.5 KB, 889 views)
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-21-2013, 09:11 AM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks for the quick replies. I look forward posting more comments in the future.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #12 (permalink)
Vol Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fade route View Post
We're getting pummeled this game imo. Too early in the year with too many questions at key positions for us, on the road, etc.. Probably something like a 38 - 20 score.
Oregon will be one of the best offenses, if not the best that we will face this year and as you said the game is early in the season and on the road, holding them under 40 would be a positive sign imo. Last year's defense wouldn't have held them under 55 unless Oregon had the bench warmers in by the end of the 3rd.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
5 star member

This game doesn't set up well.. Their defense is experienced.. If the Vols don't run the ball, shorten the game, well they'll get ran out of there early.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-21-2013, 10:01 AM   #14 (permalink)
Any team but Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by fade route View Post
i will take those 18 points for $50! Hard to believe Tennessee has fallen so Far that most have no faith we can keep it a game!
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-21-2013, 10:01 AM   #15 (permalink)

Last time we played Oregon, Matt Simms was QB.........I'll let that sink in. Either way though we still lose this game. Just being realistic, we lose 42-17
Reply With Quote TOP