Tennessee vs. Florida 1970

Enjoy. Doug Dickey's return to Knoxville is a bad one.

1970 Tennessee 38 Florida 7 - YouTube

Watching our defense, even allowing for the different eras, was truly impressive to watch.

Jackie Walker and Conrad Graham ran interceptions back for TD's, something this particular team had a penchant for doing on a regular basis.
I was there , and the whole stadium was electric with Dickey coming back. Thanks.

Last edited:
Enjoy. Doug Dickey's return to Knoxville is a bad one.

1970 Tennessee 38 Florida 7 - YouTube

Watching our defense, even allowing for the different eras, was truly impressive to watch.

Jackie Walker and Conrad Graham ran interceptions back for TD's, something this particular team had a penchant for doing on a regular basis.

Conrad Graham #37 ... I literally wanted to be that guy when I was a little boy.

I was there too. The Florida fan in front of me kept talking about how they were going to beat us because they had John Reaves. By the 3rd quarter, she wasn't saying anything. The Vol faithful had been waiting for this day after Dickey bolted for Florida the previous year, but he left a stockpile of talent. You could say he was "hoisted on his own petard" that day. I was also at the Sugar Bowl later that year where Bobby Majors almost single handedly shot down the Air Force Academy. Just a fantastic team. They just had a bad day against Auburn, or they would have been undefeated.

I was in basic Army training that day, but my old high school pal Curt Watson & the Vols had their revenge. Remember that J. Reaves said that "Curt Watson couldn't hold T. Durrance's (FL running back) jock strap"? Revenge is sweet as gator meat.

There was a song back then, even on the radio I believe,
"We'll beat the Dickey on the Tartan Turf
He'll wish he was in Jacksonville, playing in the surf.
Watson will run the ball, McClain will catch the pass,
And Alvarez will spend the day sitting on his ..."

Reactions: peaygolf
I was there too. The Florida fan in front of me kept talking about how they were going to beat us because they had John Reaves. By the 3rd quarter, she wasn't saying anything. The Vol faithful had been waiting for this day after Dickey bolted for Florida the previous year, but he left a stockpile of talent. You could say he was "hoisted on his own petard" that day. I was also at the Sugar Bowl later that year where Bobby Majors almost single handedly shot down the Air Force Academy. Just a fantastic team. They just had a bad day against Auburn, or they would have been undefeated.
I was at that Sugar Bowl game against the Air Force Academy too. We felt like we got cheated not to get to face a higher ranked opponent. Remember the dog on the field that stopped play? My roommates and I staggered around Bourbon Street the night before the game (it was about a noon kickoff I think) and sang "Air Force, Air Force....how'd you like to bite my a$$?"

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Part of Tennessee's problem the past few years is Tennessee hasn't been playing Tennessee football. Our players need to watch footage of our great players on both sides of the ball. Those guys played hard and they never quit. I hope this new staff can get this team back to playing traditional Tennessee football.

I was at that Sugar Bowl game against the Air Force Academy too. We felt like we got cheated not to get to face a higher ranked opponent. Remember the dog on the field that stopped play? My roommates and I staggered around Bourbon Street the night before the game (it was about a noon kickoff I think) and sang "Air Force, Air Force....how'd you like to bite my a$$?"

Oh, yes, the dog. I had forgotten about that. No one could catch him. Bourbon Street was awesome, but as a poor college student I had to eat at the Buck-Forty-Nine Steak House. Did make it Pat O'brien's and Preservation Hall though. Joe Thompson was at Pat O'brien's after the game with all the UT fans singing.

Oh, yes, the dog. I had forgotten about that. No one could catch him. Bourbon Street was awesome, but as a poor college student I had to eat at the Buck-Forty-Nine Steak House. Did make it Pat O'brien's and Preservation Hall though. Joe Thompson was at Pat O'brien's after the game with all the UT fans singing.
I went to Preservation Hall and Pat O's the night before the game. I sat in the floor at the Hall, and outside with the heaters in the trees at Pat O. I remember eating once at Desire Oyster Bar. I couldn't make the call for partying the night of the game. I did too much the night before. Two of my roommates went right back at it though.

Reactions: 1 person
I went to Preservation Hall and Pat O's the night before the game. I sat in the floor at the Hall, and outside with the heaters in the trees at Pat O. I remember eating once at Desire Oyster Bar. I couldn't make the call for partying the night of the game. I did too much the night before. Two of my roommates went right back at it though.

Those were the days.

Reactions: Big Al Orange

VN Store

Back