Cross Divisional Rivals: Thoughts?

TXA&M07

Roll the dice....
Personally, I think having set in stone cross divisional rivals that are permanently in place is both meaningful to the fan base, and detrimental to the program.

As a long time fan of SEC athletics, it seems that in many of the major sports, there is consistent ebb and flow between the East and West in regards to success year after year. There was a time not too long ago that I would have considered the East a much tougher division than the West in football. I think as programs evolve and experience coaching changes, this continues to this day. Same for baseball, and basketball IMO.

Linking yourself to a cross division rival can hurt, although it really shouldn't in voting and rankings. Take for instance LSU schedule next year. Now compare it to Alabama's.

What about the concept of us being linked to SCAR. Eventually the ole ball coach is going to retire. Where will that leave us? Hell, take your Vols next season.

I understand tradition, believe me, but handcuffing schools together in this evolving environment seems to be a touchy and difficult subject to justify. I can see the good and the bad.

Whats the consensus from the hill fellas?

and before someone says it, I "get" the whole concept of "win every game and let the chips fall".

But how much does that matter when you're toughest competition in the East is Vandy and Kentucky? (Football ex.)

Reactions: 1 person
When we ran off 6-7-8 or so wins in a row Vs. the Bubbas I didnt mind it...now, Im kind of liking the idea of rotating Ar kansas and Ole Miss in there more and more

I can't imagine a season without playing Alabama and I'm only 28. The older folks would probably have a rage stroke.

Reactions: 5 people
That ebb and flow will return to football as well. Its a cycle - our series with Bama has always been streaky. how do you think they felt during our run at the top? It all comes and goes.

Does it suck that while we get Bama other east schools get OM or MSU? Yes - but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Could you imagine being in the big 12 and NOT playing against texas?

See that's what I'm talking about. And then who knows, in a few years Ole Miss may be a dangerous matchup. It just evolves.

Vandy may still be "Candy" to many of you, but Franklin may stir the pot enough not to sleep on them.

Arkansas was pretty damn good prior to a motorcycle incident. Like I said, it comes and goes.

What would be wrong with playing 9 conference games and scheduling powder puffs to fill in? SOS be damned, this is the SEC. Really dont see a need to risk it with premiere OOC matchups. At this point, I think programs do that just to get an early jump in the polls and to be, well, arrogant about how good they are.

Like VT really has a shot at Bama. I mean, c'mon. Or TCU V LSU in the opener. Really? TCU?

Yes us older folks would!!!!

Do not take away Bama, I love tradition and we will be back competing with them soon!

Give Butch two years and two good recruiting classes.

Dude, I'm so over tu its not even worth mentioning. I have much more important things to worry about.

without locking the opponent, one of my favorite games every year would happen once a decade. It seems you don't understand SEC tradition as much as you claim

Reactions: 4 people
See that's what I'm talking about. And then who knows, in a few years Ole Miss may be a dangerous matchup. It just evolves.

Vandy may still be "Candy" to many of you, but Franklin may stir the pot enough not to sleep on them.

Arkansas was pretty damn good prior to a motorcycle incident. Like I said, it comes and goes.

What would be wrong with playing 9 conference games and scheduling powder puffs to fill in? SOS be damned, this is the SEC. Really dont see a need to risk it with premiere OOC matchups. At this point, I think programs do that just to get an early jump in the polls and to be, well, arrogant about how good they are.

Like VT really has a shot at Bama. I mean, c'mon. Or TCU V LSU in the opener. Really? TCU?

8 or 9 doesnt matter to me....but if they do away with the permanent cross rival they would have to move TN and al to the same division.

personnally, i value the rivalries.

that has already been taken away from florida, so i don't care. but, i believe it would be wrong for alabama-tennessee, auburn-georgia, to end. just as i was upset for florida-auburn to end.

looking at it only from a gator point of view, the schedule never was the problem. if we were legitimately good, we competed for championships.

florida had its shot against georgia. they lost.

lsu had its shot against alabama. they lost.

usually (i know there are exceptions), the people who complain about schedules represent schools who didn't handle their business head to head in the first place.

Teams yall will play that will be ranked/ will possibly ranked by the time you meet up:

BAMA
UGA
UF
SCAR
Oregon (OOC)
and maybe Vandy in the top 25 provided they shock some folks.

Thats 5 for sure, and 1 maybe.

Whats the incentitve?

PJ, trust me. I get it. Y'all have taught me to hate Bama since 07 man. I know how important that games is to yall as fans, and how storied the tradition is. That being said, in a year like the one coming up, wouldnt you rather take a shot at say: Arky or Ole Miss just to get your legs underneath you?

PJ, trust me. I get it. Y'all have taught me to hate Bama since 07 man. I know how important that games is to yall as fans, and how storied the tradition is. That being said, in a year like the one coming up, wouldnt you rather take a shot at say: Arky or Ole Miss just to get your legs underneath you?

and not play bama? Absolutely not and I think you would find very few UT fans who would agree with you

Maybe this just shows how shallow the rivalries in the Big 12 are... welcome to the SEC Texas A&M.

I'm really looking at this for the 2014 season, provided Johnny does not come marching home again.

Our schedule next year is a cake walk compared to others and I'll be the first to admit that.

Teams yall will play that will be ranked/ will possibly ranked by the time you meet up:

BAMA
UGA
UF
SCAR
Oregon (OOC)
and maybe Vandy in the top 25 provided they shock some folks.

Thats 5 for sure, and 1 maybe.

Whats the incentitve?

i say this a lot of times as a joke, but it's true.

do you know what makes your schedule look tougher?

losing.

based on the final poll, louisville finished about 12 or so. i don't remember. had florida beaten louisville, louisville would have finished unranked.

so, florida loses and now you can say that florida played a team that finished in the top 15. florida wins and it's one less ranked opponent they played.

The Big 12 rival games revolve around one school primarily. If that school is down, how much does it matter in the grand scheme of things regarding National rankings?

The answer: Nada.

See RG3's last season at Baylor.

In a prefect world, I'd never break up the following:

UGA-UF
BAMA-VOLS
OLE MISS-LSU
TAMU-LSU
BARN-BAMA
OLE MISS-MISS LITE

Most of those are solid due to divisions now.

I guess from my perspective, its just up in the air right now as far as who I should consider a rival still. Most here say it should be LSU due to the history, but I'm still not sold on it. These things take time, but I dont like the concept of someone telling me who to consider a rival.

I guess I'd rather see it evolve naturally. And Im not talking about crappy fans either. I'm talking on the turf.

Everyone has crappy fans to some degree.

Arky in the East/ Tenn in the West? Cant see that being good for Tenn, but I bet Arky would be down for it.

VN Store

Back