DB Michael Williams, 3-star walk-on

kamoshika

Williams (RS freshman, 5-11, 165) originally signed a football scholarship w/ Maryland in 2011, but he later asked for and was granted a release. He then signed w/ the UT track team last year and will give football another shot this spring. He is the younger brother of Madieu Williams, a 9-year NFL veteran free safety who's currently with the Redskins.
Michael F. Williams Profile - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics

Maryland didn't really recruit Madieu Williams coming out of high school. Michael Williams, however, is a different story. The Terps landed the elder Williams brother...as a transfer from Towson. Michael Williams, meanwhile, was identified by the Maryland staff well before his senior year this fall at DeMatha. It was just a matter of time before he decided to follow in his brother’s footsteps.

“He went up there this weekend on a visit and committed,” said Stags coach Bill McGregor. “… When [Maryland coach] Ralph [Friedgen] met Mike a couple years ago, he said he looked exactly like Madieu coming out of high school.”

Recruiting Report: DeMatha's Michael Williams follows path to UM - baltimoresun.com

DeMatha's Michael Williams gives up his football scholarship to pursue track - Recruiting Insider - The Washington Post

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
bring em on, give him a shot to make some noise, and if he doesnt he can continue to pursue his track career. Would love to have some speed in the secondary.

Reactions: 4 people
There's four schools that are standing out to me right now: Michigan, Penn State, USC and Tennessee. … My brother, Mike Williams, runs track at Tennessee, so I know I have family down there. I don't know Tennessee's staff too well yet, but their coaches are coming up next week to build a relationship with me…

Quotes from Paul Harris

Paul Harris will wear orange!

Man - this is finding some hidden treasure. Speed is a take nearly every time and especially with these bloodlines.

Man - this is finding some hidden treasure. Speed is a take nearly every time and especially with these bloodlines.

Especially an older guy like this too.. With his age and UT track background, I'm sure he is a lot more developed than the other new guys.

I look forward to a time when we are no longer depending of these situations to fill a depth chart...

We've always had guys like this, even when we were on top.. Not sure we are really depending on him.. More like giving him a chance.. Thats prob why hes a walk on.

VN Store

Back