Mount Rushmore of Tennessee Football

Volosaurus rex

Doctorate in Volology
Utilizing the trusty search function on Volnation, I noticed that this general topic has been seriously bandied about two times since 2004. You have just been commissioned, by me, to do a "Mount Rushmore of Tennessee Football" sculpture. In contrast to the National Memorial in the Black Hills, there is sufficient room on your "canvas" to accommodate four players and one coach. If you find that there are simply too many greats for you to limit your selection of candidates in this manner, there is an alternative funding scenario for you to work on Mount Everest and portray the eleven greatest players and coaches in Tennessee history. Again, however, you must select only one coach.

In making your selections, please consider the following criteria:

(1) This is an all-time "Mount Rushmore," not one pertaining strictly to the modern era.

(2) Selections must be based strictly on their achievements at UT; success in the NFL is irrelevant.

(3) Selections should reflect sustained excellence over the course of an entire career, not one meteoric season. This would eliminate such supremely talented players as Chuck Webb, through no fault of his own.

(4) Purely as a memory jogger, I have provided the link to the full list of 72 UT players who have achieved All-American status. See UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics - Football. This should serve as a minimal baseline for consideration.

(5) Please give consideration to the historical depth of Tennessee's program. Players who have been multi-year recipients of All-American honors are in a special class of their own. We have only 16 of these, with Bob Suffridge (1938, '39 and '40) topping the list.

With no further ado, let the debate begin. Who are your best of the very best to ever don the Orange and White?

Last edited:
I don't know much about the older players, so my selection is admittedly probably too skewed toward the recent guys.

I do know, though, that Reggie White didn't do anywhere near as much at UT as he did in the NFL.

I'd go with Neyland, Peyton, Lauricella, Majors and Eric Berry.

Tough to leave off Al Wilson, but Berry got Heisman votes as a safety. That's insane.

Last edited:
But just about everyone will agree Gen. Neyland and P. Manning should be on it. The other 2 is up for much debate.

Reactions: 1 person
Agreed. There is room for three other players, however, on this Mt. Rushmore. That is, unless one wishes to take on the more ambitious "Everest Eleven."

Coach: Robert Neyland

QB: Peyton Manning - finished his illustrious career holding 42 NCAA, SEC and Tennessee records, Davey O'Brien National Quarterback Award, the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award and Player of the Year, Finished Runner-up to the Heisman Trophy

Reggie White - collected a school-record 32 sacks in establishing himself as the most prolific pass rusher in Tennessee history, current school record holder for most sacks in a career, season and game. Born in Chattanooga, TN

OG: Bob Suffridge - Vols' only three-time All-America (every year he played), lead Tennessee to a perfect 30-0 regular season record during his career, a member of the last team in the NCAA not to alow a single point all season, 3 SEC Championships, Football Writers Association for the all-time All America team, "Bob Suffridge, the greatest lineman I ever saw and that’s as far as I will go with the line." - General Neyland

Doug Atkins - Led the Vols to a National Championship in 1951, All American in 52, Member of the College Football Hall of Fame, only unanimous selection to the SEC All Quarter-Century team and was selected as the overall SEC "Player of the Quarter-Century" for the years 1950-1975, Born in Humboldt, TN

On the Outside looking in: Johnny Majors

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
CPF.....not even close. Played for the Vols and brought them to national prominence....and fired for his reward.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
The General, Doug Atkins, Johnny Majors, Willie Gault, Eric Berry

While Manning is arguably more deserving than Gault (or another WR) I felt like Wide Receiver U needs a WR on th list.

Also, cannot argue with anyone putting Suffridge on the list

Last edited:
Reggie White, Al Wilson, Peyton Manning, and Bob Suffridge (UT's only 3 time AA)

With Neyland at the front

somebody with photoshop please do this

Neyland, Suffridge, Atkins, J. Majors, Manning. ( I know that I'll get killed for leaving Reggie off, but Atkins had a better COLLEGE career than Reggie).

If I have to choose eleven...

Neyland, Suffridge, Cafego, Lauricella, S. Delong, Atkins, J. Majors, Walker, White, D. Carter, Manning, Berry

IMO..:salute:

Reactions: 1 person
Neyland, Suffridge, Atkins, J. Majors, Manning. ( I know that I'll get killed for leaving Reggie off, but Atkins had a better COLLEGE career than Reggie).

If I have to choose eleven...

Neyland, Suffridge, Cafego, Lauricella, S. Delong, Atkins, J. Majors, Walker, White, D. Carter, Manning, Berry

IMO..:salute:

I went back and forth with Reggie and Majors. I think you can make a case for both.

I wrestled with Atkins and Reggie....

Majors is there--He should have won the Heisman...

Atkins has to be in. Only unanimous selection to the SEC All Quarter-Century team and was selected as the overall SEC "Player of the Quarter-Century" for the years 1950-1975.

Reggie came on real hard his Senior year. I've almost talked Johnny in and Reggie out for me. :loco:

Reggie initally had difficulty reconciling his religious beliefs with the concept of aggression on the football field. He finally began to turn the corner during his junior season and then had the most phenomenal senior campaign, statistically, of any Tennessee defensive lineman.

Although I stated that success in the NFL is ultimately irrelevant, it is still worth noting that Doug Atkins was "the only Tennessee player to ever be voted into both the College Football Hall of Fame (inducted 1985) and the Professional Football Hall of Fame (inducted 1982)" (UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics - Football). Of course, Peyton will join him as soon as the mandatory post-retirement waiting period has expired. Nevertheless, it just goes to show how dominant a player Atkins was on the football field.

Oh. That one was easy for me. Deflect all anger and aggression to the person in front of me on the field.

That may well have been the attitude that Reggie ultimately adopted. It was a conflict that he had to resolve for himself, however, and it took a while before he learned how to unleash his full capabilities.

VN Store

Back