2811 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Dooley /Players 2011 Kentucky Game. within the forum Tennessee Vols Football. What actually happened? I've heard bits and pieces but have never really got a total account of what actually went ...

Go Back   VolNation > Tennessee Vols Forums > Tennessee Vols Football

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Reformed Grudaholic

Dooley /Players 2011 Kentucky Game

What actually happened? I've heard bits and pieces but have never really got a total account of what actually went down. Anyone care to enlighten me?
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
VN Crisis Counselor

As far as why we crapped the bed on the game? I heard bits and pieces myself but more or less it was that the younger players (Bray, Rogers, etc) deciding they didn't really want to play in a "lesser" bowl game and they mailed it in--which in turn ticked off the upper classmen. Bray was allegedly sick too--OH and Da'Rick went off on Baggett which further alienated the team from Dooley because Dooley was into giving DR "special treatment" and that divided the team even further. Yeah that was good times with ole Dooley.
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrudenDooley View Post
What actually happened? I've heard bits and pieces but have never really got a total account of what actually went down. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Bray had the flu!
Hunter was injured!
Da Rick was concerned with getting enough yards to earn the single season record for receiving yardage and was not concerned about winning the game.

The seniors played un inspired because they did not want to go to a second tier level bowl game.

Rajon Neal had the ball on the 2 yard line and was the wildcat q.b. on that play. He took his eyes off of the center and glanced at the sidelines. The center hiked the ball and Neal bobbled the ball. Those few seconds he spent trying to get control of the ball, caused him to be tackled for a loss, rather than for a T.D. That T.D. would have won the game. We would have posted a 6 -6 record and gone to a bowl game and had extra practices for the bowl game.

Several assistant coaches saw the writing on the wall and left the program...
VN Likes: 2
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
VN Crisis Counselor

I'll say this (and I haven't been a fan as long some other Vol fans) but it was the single most disgraceful performance I have ever seen and a terrible blow to this program---I hope I never see anything like it again!
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by volswillrise12 View Post
I'll say this (and I haven't been a fan as long some other Vol fans) but it was the single most disgraceful performance I have ever seen and a terrible blow to this program---I hope I never see anything like it again!

I, personally, was embarrassed when we celebrated when we beat UAB in overtime. A game that we should have lost, if their kicker had make just one kick.

I was embarrassed when we celebrated for beating Vandy in overtime in 2011.

I was embarrased when we celebrated for beating troy in overtime this past season.
VN Likes: 3
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

i have never been embarrassed being a vol fan on our worse day we are ten time better than all others teams,I've been vol fan since 1950 and will be for life

Last edited by mommasvol; 01-18-2013 at 04:25 PM..
VN Likes: 10
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

What happened was Mike Hamilton hired a total joke. No real coach would let his players just quit like that.
VN Likes: 3
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Congressman

hell froze over.
VN Likes: 9
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 04:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by volswillrise12 View Post
Personally--I think our performance against Candy was worse--but was the result of the same motivation by Bray and some others (CP, JH, etc...)

I think their hatred for CDD was so great that they intentionally threw the game because CDD wouldn't survive the loss and another guaranteed losing season.

JMO! No insider, no other input from anyone else--just my own opinion from watching them play all of last year and the whole game against Candy. Plus, Worley came in and moved us down the field easily and at will--except for the INT when CP turned inside instead of what he had done ALL YEAR on that route--turn outside and make the catch. Go back and watch the films for that play and route--it was money all year!

TFWIW--which ain't much beyond my own opinion.

Last edited by MikeVol44; 01-18-2013 at 04:37 PM..
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 04:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonvol View Post
What happened was Mike Hamilton hired a total joke. No real coach would let his players just quit like that.

No coach wanted the job, so Hamilton had to settle for someone before National Signing Day.

Dooley = Shula

Shula was hired at "O Bama" because no one else wanted the job.

Dooley was hired at U.T. because no one else wanted the job.

Shula was "O Bama's" 10 choice as their coach.

Dooley was our tenth choice.

Shula could recruit, fairly well but could not coach.

Dooley could recruit, fairly well but could not coach.

Dooley father was a coaching legend.

Shula's father was a coaching legend.

Shula was the keeper of the "O Bama" program until they could get off of probation and hire a better coach.

Dooley was the keeper of the U.T. program until they could hire a better coach.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonvol View Post
You know--everyone bashes CDD for that game--and rightly so. However, what's more disturbing to me is that WILCOX NEVER adjusted against a WR playing QB who obviously couldn't throw the ball downfield accurately past 10-12 yds. And KY moved the ball up and down the field on the super Genius Wilcox.

Also--that dillweed of an OC, Chaney, couldn't figure out how to run or pass the ball against KY!

It wasn't just on CDD...
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVol44 View Post
Personally--I think our performance against Candy was worse--but was the result of the same motivation by Bray and some others (CP, JH, etc...)

I think their hatred for CDD was so great that they intentionally threw the game because CDD wouldn't survive the loss and another guaranteed losing season.

JMO! No insider, no other input from anyone else--just my own opinion from watching them play all of last year and the whole game against Candy. Plus, Worley came in and moved us down the field easily and at will--except for the INT when CP turned inside instead of what he had done ALL YEAR on that route--turn outside and make the catch. Go back and watch the films for that play and route--it was money all year!

TFWIW--which ain't much beyone my own opinion.

Dooley wasn't endearing to the players. He would call their names out, in the post game interview, when asked why a certain play was not executed well.

So, the players didn't care for him.

When the team fails and you are the coach, take the blame.

When the team has some success, the team and the coach take the credit.

When the team has real success or over achieves, then you give total credit to the players......
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy123 View Post
No coach wanted the job, so Hamilton had to settle for someone before National Signing Day.

Dooley = Shula

Shula was hired at "O Bama" because no one else wanted the job.

Dooley was hired at U.T. because no one else wanted the job.

Shula was "O Bama's" 10 choice as their coach.

Dooley was our tenth choice.

Shula could recruit, fairly well but could not coach.

Dooley could recruit, fairly well but could not coach.

Dooley father was a coaching legend.

Shula's father was a coaching legend.

Shula was the keeper of the "O Bama" program until they could get off of probation and hire a better coach.

Dooley was the keeper of the U.T. program until they could hire a better coach.
Shula won plenty of SEC games and beat Fulmer. Dooley lost to Vanderbilt and Kentucky. There is no comparison.

It's almost as stupid as the "no one wanted the job" BS you fools keep shoveling.
VN Likes: 4
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:

TFWIW--which ain't much beyond my own opinion.
Mike, you and I discussed this previously, and I am in your corner 100% on both the Dooley and Worley situations. Good post.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 04:40 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
You know--everyone bashes CDD for that game--and rightly so. However, what's more disturbing to me is that WILCOX NEVER adjusted against a WR playing QB who obviously couldn't throw the ball downfield accurately past 10-12 yds. And KY moved the ball up and down the field on the super Genius Wilcox.

Also--that dillweed of an OC, Chaney, couldn't figure out how to run or pass the ball against KY!

It wasn't just on CDD...
Well yeah and we can blame the grad assistants too, or we can just keep everything simple and blame the guy in charge of them all.
Reply With Quote TOP