Dooley /Players 2011 Kentucky Game

GrudenDooley

Reformed Grudaholic
What actually happened? I've heard bits and pieces but have never really got a total account of what actually went down. Anyone care to enlighten me?

As far as why we crapped the bed on the game? I heard bits and pieces myself but more or less it was that the younger players (Bray, Rogers, etc) deciding they didn't really want to play in a "lesser" bowl game and they mailed it in--which in turn ticked off the upper classmen. Bray was allegedly sick too--OH and Da'Rick went off on Baggett which further alienated the team from Dooley because Dooley was into giving DR "special treatment" and that divided the team even further. Yeah that was good times with ole Dooley.

Reactions: 1 person
What actually happened? I've heard bits and pieces but have never really got a total account of what actually went down. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Bray had the flu!
Hunter was injured!
Da Rick was concerned with getting enough yards to earn the single season record for receiving yardage and was not concerned about winning the game.

The seniors played un inspired because they did not want to go to a second tier level bowl game.

Rajon Neal had the ball on the 2 yard line and was the wildcat q.b. on that play. He took his eyes off of the center and glanced at the sidelines. The center hiked the ball and Neal bobbled the ball. Those few seconds he spent trying to get control of the ball, caused him to be tackled for a loss, rather than for a T.D. That T.D. would have won the game. We would have posted a 6 -6 record and gone to a bowl game and had extra practices for the bowl game.

Several assistant coaches saw the writing on the wall and left the program...

Reactions: 2 people
I'll say this (and I haven't been a fan as long some other Vol fans) but it was the single most disgraceful performance I have ever seen and a terrible blow to this program---I hope I never see anything like it again!

I'll say this (and I haven't been a fan as long some other Vol fans) but it was the single most disgraceful performance I have ever seen and a terrible blow to this program---I hope I never see anything like it again!

I, personally, was embarrassed when we celebrated when we beat UAB in overtime. A game that we should have lost, if their kicker had make just one kick.

I was embarrassed when we celebrated for beating Vandy in overtime in 2011.

I was embarrased when we celebrated for beating troy in overtime this past season.

Reactions: 3 people
:dance2: i have never been embarrassed being a vol fan on our worse day we are ten time better than all others teams,I've been vol fan since 1950 and will be for life

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 people
What happened was Mike Hamilton hired a total joke. No real coach would let his players just quit like that.

Reactions: 3 people

Personally--I think our performance against Candy was worse--but was the result of the same motivation by Bray and some others (CP, JH, etc...)

I think their hatred for CDD was so great that they intentionally threw the game because CDD wouldn't survive the loss and another guaranteed losing season.

JMO! No insider, no other input from anyone else--just my own opinion from watching them play all of last year and the whole game against Candy. Plus, Worley came in and moved us down the field easily and at will--except for the INT when CP turned inside instead of what he had done ALL YEAR on that route--turn outside and make the catch. Go back and watch the films for that play and route--it was money all year!

TFWIW--which ain't much beyond my own opinion. :salute:

Last edited:
What happened was Mike Hamilton hired a total joke. No real coach would let his players just quit like that.

No coach wanted the job, so Hamilton had to settle for someone before National Signing Day.

Dooley = Shula

Shula was hired at "O Bama" because no one else wanted the job.

Dooley was hired at U.T. because no one else wanted the job.

Shula was "O Bama's" 10 choice as their coach.

Dooley was our tenth choice.

Shula could recruit, fairly well but could not coach.

Dooley could recruit, fairly well but could not coach.

Dooley father was a coaching legend.

Shula's father was a coaching legend.

Shula was the keeper of the "O Bama" program until they could get off of probation and hire a better coach.

Dooley was the keeper of the U.T. program until they could hire a better coach.

You know--everyone bashes CDD for that game--and rightly so. However, what's more disturbing to me is that WILCOX NEVER adjusted against a WR playing QB who obviously couldn't throw the ball downfield accurately past 10-12 yds. And KY moved the ball up and down the field on the super Genius Wilcox.

Also--that dillweed of an OC, Chaney, couldn't figure out how to run or pass the ball against KY!

It wasn't just on CDD...:salute:

Personally--I think our performance against Candy was worse--but was the result of the same motivation by Bray and some others (CP, JH, etc...)

I think their hatred for CDD was so great that they intentionally threw the game because CDD wouldn't survive the loss and another guaranteed losing season.

JMO! No insider, no other input from anyone else--just my own opinion from watching them play all of last year and the whole game against Candy. Plus, Worley came in and moved us down the field easily and at will--except for the INT when CP turned inside instead of what he had done ALL YEAR on that route--turn outside and make the catch. Go back and watch the films for that play and route--it was money all year!

TFWIW--which ain't much beyone my own opinion. :salute:

Dooley wasn't endearing to the players. He would call their names out, in the post game interview, when asked why a certain play was not executed well.

So, the players didn't care for him.

When the team fails and you are the coach, take the blame.

When the team has some success, the team and the coach take the credit.

When the team has real success or over achieves, then you give total credit to the players......

No coach wanted the job, so Hamilton had to settle for someone before National Signing Day.

Dooley = Shula

Shula was hired at "O Bama" because no one else wanted the job.

Dooley was hired at U.T. because no one else wanted the job.

Shula was "O Bama's" 10 choice as their coach.

Dooley was our tenth choice.

Shula could recruit, fairly well but could not coach.

Dooley could recruit, fairly well but could not coach.

Dooley father was a coaching legend.

Shula's father was a coaching legend.

Shula was the keeper of the "O Bama" program until they could get off of probation and hire a better coach.

Dooley was the keeper of the U.T. program until they could hire a better coach.

Shula won plenty of SEC games and beat Fulmer. Dooley lost to Vanderbilt and Kentucky. There is no comparison.

It's almost as stupid as the "no one wanted the job" BS you fools keep shoveling.

Reactions: 4 people

TFWIW--which ain't much beyond my own opinion. :salute:
Mike, you and I discussed this previously, and I am in your corner 100% on both the Dooley and Worley situations. Good post.

You know--everyone bashes CDD for that game--and rightly so. However, what's more disturbing to me is that WILCOX NEVER adjusted against a WR playing QB who obviously couldn't throw the ball downfield accurately past 10-12 yds. And KY moved the ball up and down the field on the super Genius Wilcox.

Also--that dillweed of an OC, Chaney, couldn't figure out how to run or pass the ball against KY!

It wasn't just on CDD...:salute:

Well yeah and we can blame the grad assistants too, or we can just keep everything simple and blame the guy in charge of them all.

I, personally, was embarrassed when we celebrated when we beat UAB in overtime. A game that we should have lost, if their kicker had make just one kick.

I was embarrassed when we celebrated for beating Vandy in overtime in 2011.

I was embarrased when we celebrated for beating troy in overtime this past season.

I'm embarrassed for you if you think the Troy game was won in overtime.

UK ran the same 5 plays by a WR and got beat! Maybe the single worst loss in a half century. Dooley should have been reassigned to a weather station at the north pole.

From what others have said, there was dissension on the team. That reminds me of a Bear Bryant story when he was at Texas A & M. After getting beaten badly in one of his early games at A & M, a sports reporter asked Bryant if there was dissension on his squad. Bryant said "if there ain't dissension on the squad now, there damn sure is gonna be after I'm done with 'em."

Shula won plenty of SEC games and beat Fulmer. Dooley lost to Vanderbilt and Kentucky. There is no comparison.

It's almost as stupid as the "no one wanted the job" BS you fools keep shoveling.

If you look at the list of coaching candidates who were supposedly contacted in 2009, none of them were interested in the U.T. job.

Bill Cowher, Lovie Smith, Butch Davis, Will Muschamp, Coach at Boise State, Coach at TCU, Brian Kelly, Coach at Oklahoma, all showed no interest in the job.

So, we end up with a person who was not even on our initial list. Muschamp suggested we interview Dooley and Hamilton contacted Saban about Dooley to get Saban's input.

So, who was interested in the job, that would have been a better hire than Dooley?

You said that "no one else was intersted was a BS statement" Then why didn't someone else get hired who was better qualified than Dooley????

Okay! Shula was the head coach at Alabama for four seasons.

2003 Fulmer beat Shula 51 - 43 in 5 OverTimes

2004 Fulmer beat Shula 17 - 13

2005 Shula beat Fulmer 6 - 3

2006 Fulmer beat Shula 16 - 13

If you look at the list of coaching candidates who were supposedly contacted in 2009, none of them were interested in the U.T. job.

Bill Cowher, Lovie Smith, Butch Davis, Will Muschamp, Coach at Boise State, Coach at TCU, Brian Kelly, Coach at Oklahoma, all showed no interest in the job.

So, we end up with a person who was not even on our initial list. Muschamp suggested we interview Dooley and Hamilton contacted Saban about Dooley to get Saban's input.

So, who was interested in the job, that would have been a better hire than Dooley?

Kevin Sumlin, Gus Malzahn, Larry Fedora, etc. etc, all could have easily have been hired...the real question here is "who could have been worse?"

Also, it's funny how all the Hamilton/Dooley defenders know exactly who was interested and who wasn't without ever actually talking to any of them. I guess in your special little world, there's no point in having an AD, conducting a search, or even negotiating salaries and incentives. Nope, whoever gets hired is automatically the best candidate and no one better was willing to take the job.

You said that "no one else was intersted was a BS statement" Then why didn't someone else get hired who was better qualified than Dooley????

ummm, maybe because Mike Hamilton was utterly incompetent? I thought everyone knew that by now.

Okay! Shula was the head coach at Alabama for four seasons.

2003 Fulmer beat Shula 51 - 43 in 5 OverTimes

2004 Fulmer beat Shula 17 - 13

2005 Shula beat Fulmer 6 - 3

2006 Fulmer beat Shula 16 - 13

Okay, what rivals did Dooley ever beat? How many 10 win seasons did he have?

This is not completely true.

Patterson at TCU wanted the job. Hamilton and the boosters did not want a "Fulmer" type head coach and would not meet his compensation requirements so they declined to offer him.

Whittingham at Utah wanted and was offered the job. He would have taken it under the right conditions, but they did not offer enough money and wanted to keep Chaney along their perception of a pro style offense. Whittingham then declined it. He runs the CUM spread offense.

Ironic that Jones runs a spread type offense. Could have missed a lot of pain had the idiots in charge known what they were doing.

VN Store

Back