Old Vols

Tumbleweedvol

I'm tying to figure out where this thread goes or what it means! I'm an old vol who grew when the Big O was growing up before me and it evolved to a National Championship! Go Big O! Next thing is that we all have been through the ups and downs of the Volnation and we will always be. We're not the media darlings, we're not always on top but, when it comes to people who make since in the world it is always the Big O! Do you all not realize that Peyton Mannning chose us over a lot of schools. It's because we have minds and make sense in the real world. Based on nothing more than we come from hard work that leaned to think. Ask Mike Terry and why he called me Tumbleweed. Look him up and find out his great venture into the world of athletics and why he is the most special person I ever met! End of story! Go Big O!! :clapping:

Reactions: 2 people
Ok I'll go on. I grew up in East Tenn. I got giving nothing! I watched the Christian shows at 11:00 o'clock and found Notre Dame football playback at the same time. Then I discovered at 12:00 PM I think, the Doug Dickey show. The Tennessee Volunteers. Suddenly before my eyes I saw Bobby Majors take a punt back for a TD. It was Tennessee and I was from Tennesssee, so I was Hooked! Then I think it was Conrad Graham who intercepted a pitchout from a quarterback from Kentucky and took it to the house. Go Big O!! I was all Big O right then. :peace2:

Reactions: 5 people
Good good good....you should post more tumbleweed! Sorry for a dumb question but who is Mike Terry?

Ok I'll go on. I grew up in East Tenn. I got giving nothing! I watched the Christian shows at 11:00 o'clock and found Notre Dame football playback at the same time. Then I discovered at 12:00 PM I think, the Doug Dickey show. The Tennessee Volunteers. Suddenly before my eyes I saw Bobby Majors take a punt back for a TD. It was Tennessee and I was from Tennesssee, so I was Hooked! Then I think it was Conrad Graham who intercepted a pitchout from a quarterback from Kentucky and took it to the house. Go Big O!! I was all Big O right then. :peace2:

You're forgiven.

Was lsu playing in neyland with billy cannon. He was stopped on the 2 point conversion. We had a grocery store store on clinton highway. We had an old radio up on the vegetable case. Those were the days for a young kid, win or lose. Nothing could compare to th Vols for a young kid

Was lsu playing in neyland with billy cannon. He was stopped on the 2 point conversion. We had a grocery store store on clinton highway. We had an old radio up on the vegetable case. Those were the days for a young kid, win or lose. Nothing could compare to th Vols for a young kid

:loco: you had a grocery store store & an old radio on top of some tomatoes listening to Vols football back in the day. :cray: :crazy: Sounds like fun to me. :)

Is Doug Atkins still alive? I ask this because I can find no record of his death, but I had a class with a guy from Humboldt who claims he is dead. If he is still living, is he the last remaining player who played for General Neyland?

Is Doug Atkins still alive? I ask this because I can find no record of his death, but I had a class with a guy from Humboldt who claims he is dead. If he is still living, is he the last remaining player who played for General Neyland?

Doug Atkins is still alive. He is 82 years old. General Neylands final year of coaching was 1952. So that was sixty years ago. Therefore most of those players from that final team would be between the ages of 78-83ish. So, I am quite confident that there are at least 15-20 players alive from that final team.

I'm tying to figure out where this thread goes or what it means! I'm an old vol who grew when the Big O was growing up before me and it evolved to a National Championship! Go Big O! Next thing is that we all have been through the ups and downs of the Volnation and we will always be. We're not the media darlings, we're not always on top but, when it comes to people who make since in the world it is always the Big O! Do you all not realize that Peyton Mannning chose us over a lot of schools. It's because we have minds and make sense in the real world. Based on nothing more than we come from hard work that leaned to think. Ask Mike Terry and why he called me Tumbleweed. Look him up and find out his great venture into the world of athletics and why he is the most special person I ever met! End of story! Go Big O!! :clapping:

Not that I don't respect my elders...but well played sir...well played..

Huh? Peyton did not choose Tennessee over anyone. Archie chose David Cutcliff for his boys. Cut just happened to be at UT for one & at Ole Miss for the other.
I really didn't understand most of your post, but don't feel bad, most posters on here make little sense, me included.

Doug Atkins is still alive. He is 82 years old. General Neylands final year of coaching was 1952. So that was sixty years ago. Therefore most of those players from that final team would be between the ages of 78-83ish. So, I am quite confident that there are at least 15-20 players alive from that final team.

Hank Lauricells is still alive (Hank Lauricella - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), as is Jim Haslam (Jim Haslam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Andy Kozar, on the other hand, passed away in 2010 (Vols Legend Kozar Dies in Knoxville - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics). Here is a photo of four of the surviving members of the '51 national championship team as of 10/13/2011 (Tennessee's 1951 National Championship football team : Knoxville Photo Galleries : GoVolsXtra.com: University of Tennessee sports news from The Knoxville News Sentinel).

Good good good....you should post more tumbleweed! Sorry for a dumb question but who is Mike Terry?

Mike intercepted a pass in the end zone to seal the win against Alabama to end their long winning streak - 1982

I had the pleasure of meeting him and others as part of the FCA. He was quite an inspiration

Reactions: 1 person
I had the privilege of meeting Doug Atkins, and riding in a beer distributor's car with him to a game at Neyland several years ago. Big Doug was a good friend of my friend, now deceased. Doug was in a word, HUGE. At that time, he really didn't have a great deal of money, because the players in those days didn't get rich. He drove a small older Mercury Capri and had the seat slid all the way back, and also reclined way back so he could fit in the car. He practically laid in his front seat.

I haven't seen him since, but did spend a good deal of time with him that day, and heard some great stories of his time with the Bears and Saints. Doug had a great sense of humor, even though he appeared to be in a lot of pain from his knees. He let me try on his Championship Ring, which was a size 18. I was able to put it over 2 of my fingers. There are 2 men who I shook hands with that I was amazed at the size of their hands . Doug Atkins and Big John Tate.

I grew up in the 60s near Knoxville. Some of the smartest people I knew were the old guys that took us camping while I was in scouts. Smart and tough. The Vols were their team and I followed. I truly believe I was lucky to grow up in that environment. It's Great to be a Tennessee Vol !!!!!

I had the privilege of meeting Doug Atkins, and riding in a beer distributor's car with him to a game at Neyland several years ago. Big Doug was a good friend of my friend, now deceased. Doug was in a word, HUGE. At that time, he really didn't have a great deal of money, because the players in those days didn't get rich. He drove a small older Mercury Capri and had the seat slid all the way back, and also reclined way back so he could fit in the car. He practically laid in his front seat.

I haven't seen him since, but did spend a good deal of time with him that day, and heard some great stories of his time with the Bears and Saints. Doug had a great sense of humor, even though he appeared to be in a lot of pain from his knees. He let me try on his Championship Ring, which was a size 18. I was able to put it over 2 of my fingers. There are 2 men who I shook hands with that I was amazed at the size of their hands . Doug Atkins and Big John Tate.

Thanks for the reply. I do believe you; I just find it odd that there is no record on the internet about the death of an NFL hall of famer, even on the HOF website itself which is usually very reliable about such matters.

Huh? Peyton did not choose Tennessee over anyone. Archie chose David Cutcliff for his boys. Cut just happened to be at UT for one & at Ole Miss for the other.
I really didn't understand most of your post, but don't feel bad, most posters on here make little sense, me included.

Thanks for the reply. I do believe you; I just find it odd that there is no record on the internet about the death of an NFL hall of famer, even on the HOF website itself which is usually very reliable about such matters.

I think he is saying that his friend is deceased. The friend was a friend of Doug Atkins. I don't think he is saying tha Doug is deceased. I don't know for sure. But I follow sports closely and I not recall hearing about his passing.

VN Store

Back