1174 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Old Vols. within the forum Tennessee Vols Football. I'm tying to figure out where this thread goes or what it means! I'm an old vol who grew when ...

Go Back   VolNation > Tennessee Vols Forums > Tennessee Vols Football

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Tumbleweedvol's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Unicoi, TN
Posts: 247
Likes: 47
Old Vols

I'm tying to figure out where this thread goes or what it means! I'm an old vol who grew when the Big O was growing up before me and it evolved to a National Championship! Go Big O! Next thing is that we all have been through the ups and downs of the Volnation and we will always be. We're not the media darlings, we're not always on top but, when it comes to people who make since in the world it is always the Big O! Do you all not realize that Peyton Mannning chose us over a lot of schools. It's because we have minds and make sense in the real world. Based on nothing more than we come from hard work that leaned to think. Ask Mike Terry and why he called me Tumbleweed. Look him up and find out his great venture into the world of athletics and why he is the most special person I ever met! End of story! Go Big O!!
Tumbleweedvol is offline  
VN Likes: 2
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 11:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
I believe.
 
YorkVol's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: York Pa
Posts: 14,397
Likes: 4,713
Ok, go on.
YorkVol is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Sittin back chillin

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Jackson,TN.
Posts: 9,681
Likes: 3,592
cool story bro. Kind of lost me there about minds & making sense in the world.
W.TN.Orange Blood is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Tumbleweedvol's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Unicoi, TN
Posts: 247
Likes: 47
Ok I'll go on. I grew up in East Tenn. I got giving nothing! I watched the Christian shows at 11:00 o'clock and found Notre Dame football playback at the same time. Then I discovered at 12:00 PM I think, the Doug Dickey show. The Tennessee Volunteers. Suddenly before my eyes I saw Bobby Majors take a punt back for a TD. It was Tennessee and I was from Tennesssee, so I was Hooked! Then I think it was Conrad Graham who intercepted a pitchout from a quarterback from Kentucky and took it to the house. Go Big O!! I was all Big O right then.
Tumbleweedvol is offline  
VN Likes: 5
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 18,254
Likes: 7,736
Good good good....you should post more tumbleweed! Sorry for a dumb question but who is Mike Terry?
Jax_Vol is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Vols To The Walls
 
strongtower's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Nashville
Posts: 2,143
Likes: 222
um, what's the question???
__________________
Vols To The Walls
strongtower is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Common sense is overrated
 
BaldBiker's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hendersonville, TN
Posts: 3,842
Likes: 2,828
Keep posting.
BaldBiker is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Massive Member
 
Special Ed's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Adrift off the Islets of Langerhans
Posts: 6,034
Likes: 3,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweedvol View Post
Ok I'll go on. I grew up in East Tenn. I got giving nothing! I watched the Christian shows at 11:00 o'clock and found Notre Dame football playback at the same time. Then I discovered at 12:00 PM I think, the Doug Dickey show. The Tennessee Volunteers. Suddenly before my eyes I saw Bobby Majors take a punt back for a TD. It was Tennessee and I was from Tennesssee, so I was Hooked! Then I think it was Conrad Graham who intercepted a pitchout from a quarterback from Kentucky and took it to the house. Go Big O!! I was all Big O right then.
You're forgiven.
Special Ed is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Volunteer Fan
 
OrangeByBirth's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Privileged to Live in Dixieland
Posts: 2,142
Likes: 2,200
I was born at a very young age...
OrangeByBirth is offline  
VN Likes: 2
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member

Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3
Likes: 4
my first memory

Was lsu playing in neyland with billy cannon. He was stopped on the 2 point conversion. We had a grocery store store on clinton highway. We had an old radio up on the vegetable case. Those were the days for a young kid, win or lose. Nothing could compare to th Vols for a young kid
HallsVol1966 is offline  
VN Likes: 2
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 01:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Vol for Life
 
jps2194's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In the Woods
Posts: 1,545
Likes: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweedvol View Post
It's because we have minds and make sense in the real world. Based on nothing more than we come from hard work that leaned to think. Ask Mike Terry and why he called me Tumbleweed.
Huh, please explain?
__________________
Go Vols!
jps2194 is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Sittin back chillin

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Jackson,TN.
Posts: 9,681
Likes: 3,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by HallsVol1966 View Post
Was lsu playing in neyland with billy cannon. He was stopped on the 2 point conversion. We had a grocery store store on clinton highway. We had an old radio up on the vegetable case. Those were the days for a young kid, win or lose. Nothing could compare to th Vols for a young kid
you had a grocery store store & an old radio on top of some tomatoes listening to Vols football back in the day. Sounds like fun to me.
W.TN.Orange Blood is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 02:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
#1DicksonVolFan's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 907
Likes: 662
Is Doug Atkins still alive? I ask this because I can find no record of his death, but I had a class with a guy from Humboldt who claims he is dead. If he is still living, is he the last remaining player who played for General Neyland?
#1DicksonVolFan is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
Sittin back chillin

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Jackson,TN.
Posts: 9,681
Likes: 3,592
Yeah, I think he passed away couple years ago, but I can't swear to it being gospel.
W.TN.Orange Blood is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 18,254
Likes: 7,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1DicksonVolFan View Post
Is Doug Atkins still alive? I ask this because I can find no record of his death, but I had a class with a guy from Humboldt who claims he is dead. If he is still living, is he the last remaining player who played for General Neyland?
Doug Atkins is still alive. He is 82 years old. General Neylands final year of coaching was 1952. So that was sixty years ago. Therefore most of those players from that final team would be between the ages of 78-83ish. So, I am quite confident that there are at least 15-20 players alive from that final team.
Jax_Vol is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27