Last Years Coaching Exodus.......

rok_etop

Had a converstion last night with a grand parent of one of my kids friends. Hes a retired HS football coach and was also Harry Heistands (our old OL coach) old college roomate and still very close and good friends. I asked him about Harry and he said that he was so thrilled to even be coaching again. Harry told him that the reason all the coaches left last year was because they all hated working for Dooley. Said he was very distant unless it involved someone big!! im assuming he meant a booster or a recruit. Said that Harry was planning to just out right retire and get out of it because he was under contract. After he left, ND came calling, and thats where he landed. Of course we all know how that worked out for him this year.

This friend also said that he came out of retirement to take a HS OC job locally. The coach (Eric Epler) who lured him out of retirement was a GA under Jones at Cincy and said that this guy is the real deal. Thought it was a great hire for UT.

I guess time will tell. I hope hes right!!

Reactions: 5 people
OP gets the smackdown.

JyB6h2.gif

Reactions: 2 people
Refreshing to hear all the positives to Butch Jones versus the silence (and after the fact negatives) of Dooley and how he did things in orange. I wasn't sold on CBJ when he was first named, but the hire looks better and better as each day passes. He and the staff are out there setting fire to the recruiting trail, saturating the Vols brand through social media, etc, etc.... they just seem to "get it" moreso than Dooley ever did.

Reactions: 3 people
Dooley was terrible. Everyone has come to grips with that with possibly two exceptions on this board.

Reactions: 2 people
Dooley was terrible. Everyone has come to grips with that with possibly two exceptions on this board.
The people who were still pumping up Dooley 6 months ago, even three months ago, need to realize and accept thier lack of football acumen and pay attention to those who were making unbiased, realistic posts on the head coaching situation then and now.

Reactions: 1 person
The people who were still pumping up Dooley 6 months ago, even three months ago, need to realize and accept thier lack of football acumen and pay attention to those who were making unbiased, realistic posts on the head coaching situation then and now.

At this point, is it safe to say that Derek will not be coaching in 2013?

I really came to grips with that after he lost games he really should have won last year (following the 'tough part' of the schedule). Reports after he left really painted the picture that he had to go. In retrospect, it's so obvious that the AD made an awful hire (little coaching experience and poor record at La Tech) hired for major college program?

At this point, is it safe to say that Derek will not be coaching in 2013?
There's no incentive for him to take a step down just yet. If CBJ can't get anything rolling in the next couple of years, Dooley may start to look like just a scapegoat for systemic problems and find himself getting some decent offers in late 2014. 2013 looks like a no.

There's no incentive for him to take a step down just yet. If CBJ can't get anything rolling in the next couple of years, Dooley may start to look like just a scapegoat for systemic problems and find himself getting some decent offers in late 2014. 2013 looks like a no.

I think a lot of people predicted that he would be fired in year three as a scapegoat. So, I do think a lot of it is just that. However, this past year showed that it was time for him to go. He had lost control of the program, for whatever the reason.

I would be interested to watch him attempt to run another program, just to see if he could really coach, given a good opportunity. I know the opinions here. So, no one needs to wear me out over MY opinion.

Had a converstion last night with a grand parent of one of my kids friends. Hes a retired HS football coach and was also Harry Heistands (our old OL coach) old college roomate and still very close and good friends. I asked him about Harry and he said that he was so thrilled to even be coaching again. Harry told him that the reason all the coaches left last year was because they all hated working for Dooley. Said he was very distant unless it involved someone big!! im assuming he meant a booster or a recruit. Said that Harry was planning to just out right retire and get out of it because he was under contract. After he left, ND came calling, and thats where he landed. Of course we all know how that worked out for him this year.

This friend also said that he came out of retirement to take a HS OC job locally. The coach (Eric Epler) who lured him out of retirement was a GA under Jones at Cincy and said that this guy is the real deal. Thought it was a great hire for UT.

I guess time will tell. I hope hes right!!

welcome back to the SEC?

VN Store

Back