A look Back On 2012 Recruiting Class

voldawgforever

Interesting read. INB4 copy and paste special and blah blah blah.

It was a recruiting class that -- on paper -- appeared to help the University of Tennessee football program and coach Derek Dooley get back on track. On National Signing Day 2012, the Vols had the nation's 16th-ranked recruiting class according to 247Sports and the 17th-ranked class on Rivals.com.

Both those "final" rankings would have gotten a boost with the addition of consensus four-star defensive tackle Omari Phillips months after NSD.

But fast-forward a year later, and Dooley's final class is as much flop as feast. Of the 22 signees that inked with UT, at least seven will not suit up for Tennessee and new coach Butch Jones in 2013.

Basically, we only signed 15 recruits last year. Another amazing stat.

I think you could argue that Bourque,Taylor,Phillips,Bonner were 4 of the top 8 kids 'on paper'.
I know many on here will say it doesnt matter but 3 of those guys play D and no question we could use ANY help on D

Players left when Kiffin came. Players left when Dooley came and some players are going to leave now that Jones came. It's just the way things go with coaching changes, unfortunately.

More players will continue to leave, I think Alden Hill will also leave, and that will make us without any RB's in the 2012 class.

It's hard to say but one of the reasons Murray and McCarron both returned for their Senior year is that they're having fun. Winning games, getting good press, and having happy fans makes the experience soooo much better for these guys. When times get and stay tough for a 3-4 years it's easier to just say "forget this I'm going to the NFL." Other things factor into their decision, but don't underestimate this issue.

This too shall change. Good times will return. But, I have to admit - I was really fooled by Dooley. I thought he was the guy.

I still have high hopes for the 2011 class.

That was a highly rated class and should provide a big boost this year.

Is it still true that we have lost only one player from that class?

This happens with most teams when you have a HC change. 4 head coaches in 6 years causes severe instability and does that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
More players will continue to leave, I think Alden Hill will also leave, and that will make us without any RB's in the 2012 class.

If Hill were to leave, we'd be left with no RBs and no OL in the '12 class. Pretty cool.

Even if Hill stays, does he ever contribute?

If they are going to leave go now instead of taking up space, let coach get his own, might pay a little now but in the long run we will be better of without them, if they dont want to be here go back home to moma.

So we've lost 7 players from the 2012 signing class....WoW.....we won 1 SEC game last year and 1 SEC game in 2011. Expectations for 2013 is 1-2 SEC wins
I wish I could see some light at the end of this very long tunnel....reality sucks doesn't it?

So we've lost 7 players from the 2012 signing class....WoW.....we won 1 SEC game last year and 1 SEC game in 2011. Expectations for 2013 is 1-2 SEC wins
I wish I could see some light at the end of this very long tunnel....reality sucks doesn't it?

Really? I expect 4-4 or better.

But fast-forward a year later, and Dooley's final class is as much flop as feast. Of the 22 signees that inked with UT, at least seven will not suit up for Tennessee and new coach Butch Jones in 2013.

Yet another reason why I think recruiting class rankings should not be decided on until after the players' first season is over. It's always the same song and dance - bad class has breakout year, great class goes bust - but the mouthbreathers still buy the magazines and site subscriptions like there's no tomorrow.

Yet another reason why I think recruiting class rankings should not be decided on until after the players' first season is over. It's always the same song and dance - bad class has breakout year, great class goes bust - but the mouthbreathers still buy the magazines and site subscriptions like there's no tomorrow.

Wow, really? They're fans dude. Get a grip on yourself, Old Wise One.

Doubt Hill leaves. He is probably going to be the Vols leading FB candidate unless CBJ moves Fugate back to this position. Plus he is from Ohio.

VN Store

Back