599 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on CBJ/UT recruiting is cover story on Yahoo NCAAF Page 4. within the forum Tennessee Vols Football. Originally Posted by 1972 Grad I feel sure that the coaches are doing their very best to sign whoever helps ...

Go Back   VolNation > Tennessee Vols Forums > Tennessee Vols Football

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972 Grad View Post
I feel sure that the coaches are doing their very best to sign whoever helps make the team the best team possible. This is the best job, paying the most money, that most of them have ever had. Wouldn't you try your best to keep the best job you ever had? Some of you people need a reality check. Relax, and let this staff do their job. They will get the best players that they can get.
Can you show me where anyone questioned the coaches trying or not? I've not seen a single comment stating they're not trying. The question and a legit question is will they succeed in getting the quality players needed to compete at a very high level?
Posted via VolNation Mobile
VolBeef88 is offline   Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetic View Post
This...very few kids qualify/stars dont matter. If you take those kids out of their recruiting class things look very different. For example, what was our recruiting ranking the year we got Bryce Brown? Im sure it would have been much lower without him in it...all of them have to do more than get recruited.

Most schools spend very little time if any on kids that won't qualify.
And ask yourself this. A 5* , 4*, 3* and 2* at the same position. Which of these would CBJ go after first? Here's a hint they're in order of how he and his staff would recruit. The ranking system is right considerably more than it's wrong.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #48 (permalink)
Agent Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol_Maul View Post
A lot of bad teams could say that to good players. The facilities alone won't win over many players in this league. They are keeping pace with the big boys, but nothing else has. This is a pretty huge rebuilding job when you consider the competition.

A 2-18 combined record against Georgia, Florida, South Carolina and Alabama since 2008 doesn't help. This school hasn't been truly competitive in a long time. Both of those wins were with Lane Kiffin as coach BTW. People can spin things positively all they want, but I want results. The rest is just fluff. I am sick of it.
And Alabama was a combined 2-13 against LSU, Auburn and Tennessee when Saban was hired.

Though, as a counter point, Saban was a well-known and respected Head Coach that already had a Championship Ring... and that's a much bigger advantage than any facility upgrades or 4-year record could possibly be. CBJ is just a perceived up-and-comer. He's much higher thought of than Dooley was in 2010.

Last edited by DC Vol; 01-16-2013 at 02:18 PM..
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #49 (permalink)
Agent Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolBeef88 View Post
Most schools spend very little time if any on kids that won't qualify.
And ask yourself this. A 5* , 4*, 3* and 2* at the same position. Which of these would CBJ go after first? Here's a hint they're in order of how he and his staff would recruit. The ranking system is right considerably more than it's wrong.
I would rather have a coaching staff that scouted players that fit their system over a coaching staff that recruited well based only on what Scout/Rivals/247 said they were worth.

You're right, though. These * ratings systems are based on pretty solid metrics that show players statistically speaking fall within certain boundries concerning height/weight/speed/strength/athleticism given each position individually.

An interesting note: Harbaugh (49ers) put up every player's High School picture with their scouting ranking over their lockers this weekend. Out of the 49ers 4 starting LBs only 1 of them was ranked highly (Ahmad Brooks). Bowman, Smith and Willis were all unranked 3* prospects.

Edit for link: San Francisco 49ers come face to face with their younger selves - latimes.com
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 04:03 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Vol View Post
I would rather have a coaching staff that scouted players that fit their system over a coaching staff that recruited well based only on what Scout/Rivals/247 said they were worth.

You're right, though. These * ratings systems are based on pretty solid metrics that show players statistically speaking fall within certain boundries concerning height/weight/speed/strength/athleticism given each position individually.

An interesting note: Harbaugh (49ers) put up every player's High School picture with their scouting ranking over their lockers this weekend. Out of the 49ers 4 starting LBs only 1 of them was ranked highly (Ahmad Brooks). Bowman, Smith and Willis were all unranked 3* prospects.

Edit for link: San Francisco 49ers come face to face with their younger selves - latimes.com

When I said same position I assumed people would know I meant same style player ie. Pro style Qb etc.
And coaches evaluate players very similarly as the Scouts/Rivals of the world do.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #51 (permalink)
VP Janitorial Operations

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolBeef88 View Post
And coaches evaluate players very similarly as the Scouts/Rivals of the world do.
Most of them would greatly dispute that.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-16-2013, 07:26 PM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAVol View Post
Most of them would greatly dispute that.
Of course they would. But then they turn around and fall all over themselves to recruit the kids that are rated highly by the services. I laugh when I hear coaches say how "differently" they evaluate talent.
Let's face it, you can only measure so many things on a player.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:37 AM   #53 (permalink)

We need kids that...

1...Are smart and will make good grades so they WILL stay on the team.

2...Are good kids that WILL stay out of trouble and on the team.

3...Are good football players that want to be Tennessee Vols.

4...Are motivated and dedicated to work hard, learn from coaches and will always work hard to make themselves the best football players they can become during their college career.

Those 4 things are what will rebuild our footVol team back into a top 10 ranked team consistently over time.

VFL...GBO!!!
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan&Volfan4life View Post
We need kids that...

4...Are motivated and dedicated to work hard, learn from coaches and will always work hard to make themselves the best football players they can become during their college career.

Those 4 things are what will rebuild our footVol team back into a top 10 ranked team consistently over time.

VFL...GBO!!!
Now that would be 5 stars in my book! GBO!
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan&Volfan4life View Post
We need kids that...

VFL...GBO!!!

That is a great pipe dream. But the reality is that now days most kids pick schools that will benefit their future over schools they grew up a fan of. I don't blame them either. Do you really think Peyton Manning grew up a UT fan? The reality is that college selection is and should be a business decision for all students athletes and non athlete alike.