Biggest On Field Problem for Jones

1974Vol

4 * 2011 QB
There is certainly need for improvement for all of Tennessee's units but the defensive backfield was just really bad. No need to go in to all the plays they didn't make to demostrate that point. Dooley apparently saw the weakness and signed 7 DB's in the 2011 class. See list below. My question to you guys who may get to see practice or otherwise get feedback from coaches, etc. are all these guys just busts, or are we gonna get better in 2013? I mean can any of these guys run, know how to tackle, take a good angle to the ball, not bust assignments, make a play on the ball?

Justin Coleman
Izauea Lanier
Eddrick Loften
Pat Martin
Byron Moore
Geraldo Orta
Brian Randolf

There is certainly need for improvement for all of Tennessee's units but the defensive backfield was just really bad. No need to go in to all the plays they didn't make to demostrate that point. Dooley apparently saw the weakness and signed 7 DB's in the 2011 class. See list below. My question to you guys who may get to see practice or otherwise get feedback from coaches, etc. are all these guys just busts, or are we gonna get better in 2013? I mean can any of these guys run, know how to tackle, take a good angle to the ball, not bust assignments, make a play on the ball?

Justin Coleman
Izauea Lanier
Eddrick Loften
Pat Martin
Byron Moore
Geraldo Orta
Brian Randolf

Orta is hurt and played sparingly before being injured. Jury still out on him.

Lanier is no longer on the team.

Loften was never on the team.

Martin didn't get the starting job, so he took his toys and went home.

Moore is a good safety, but not a good corner.

Reactions: 4 people

Hope Jones can get us some help and quick. The front 7 barring injuries should be pretty good. But if we can't get some help on the back end it will be another long season in 2013

Seems to me we played pretty well once the opposing team got in the red zone. This indicates that when there was no room to be out of position our guys did pretty well. Consequently, if we get them to be in the right place at the right time they should be able to compete against the WRs and RBs heading their way. Coaching will help a lot in 2013.

Reactions: 1 person
Seems to me we played pretty well once the opposing team got in the red zone. This indicates that when there was no room to be out of position our guys did pretty well. Consequently, if we get them to be in the right place at the right time they should be able to compete against the WRs and RBs heading their way. Coaching will help a lot in 2013.

I would agree with this, and they did make some plays. I could never determine if they just couldn't run or if they were just so far out of position they couldn't catch up. Watching on TV you can't see the whole field so some RB would break it off tackle for 12 yards and you'd keep waiting for a Vol DB to show up to make a tackle and no one ever would and the guy would go 70 yards umtouched for a TD. It was like watching 11 on 7.

Brain Randolph is pretty darn good too...if he returns to form after his injury him, Moore and McNeil will lock down the back end of the secondary...

With the CB's I have a feeling we will go to square one and see what sticks...no one on the roster can really be seen as a lost cause, because Mr. Sunseri's defense put a lot of these guys in a bad position...

This is exactly why I seriously not jokingly said we should've onside kicked every chance we got. It gives a chance to get the ball back and a chance to hold the opposing team to 3 instead of definitely 7

If I could choose only one area of improvement I would choose the pass rush. Nothing would help the db's out more than getting consistent pressure on the qb which would force inaccurate throws and poor decisions. Look what happened to Bray's game when opposing defenses got pressure on him. It didn't matter that he had 1st round talent at the WR position. He could only complete it to Dooley.

Reactions: 3 people
If I could choose only one area of improvement I would choose the pass rush. Nothing would help the db's out more than getting consistent pressure on the qb which would force inaccurate throws and poor decisions. Look what happened to Bray's game when opposing defenses got pressure on him. It didn't matter that he had 1st round talent at the WR position. He could only complete it to Dooley.

Would agree more if Vol DB's got beat for big plays. They didn't get beat. To get beat you have to be in the general vicinity of the ball. Think Bama's first TD, Mizzou's pass to tie the game in regulation. Plus most of the big plays they gave up were run plays. I stopped counting how mant 50 + yard TD runs they gave up.

Yeah more pass rush would be good but let's get to a point where we line up correctly, play our assignment, and keep leverage and contain and see what happens.

Reactions: 3 people
Speed as stated is the biggest by far and cannot be coached. Another reason I hope that they look at trying to get Malik Foreman from Vandy because that kid has game speed by the bunches. If Bray stays I say his attitude would be second IMO.

Boys we just super unskilled, at the linebackers and secondary. Its going to take a couple of years to build the back 7 up to SEC level.

Lanier was inelligible for 12. But I've not seen anything official that he is no longer with the team. Any official word?

This secondary can be summed up in one play: Trey Burton.

Slow and out of position was the norm. I don't think any of those guys listed in OP ever get near 2nd team SEC. Maybe McNeil.

This secondary can be summed up in one play: Trey Burton.

Slow and out of position was the norm. I don't think any of those guys listed in OP ever get near 2nd team SEC. Maybe McNeil.

That play was the season in a nutshell. When Burton turned the corner it was all green to the checker board. On TV it looked like he was the only player on the field.

Lanier was inelligible for 12. But I've not seen anything official that he is no longer with the team. Any official word?

It was in his twitter before the season. Said something like ill play again but it won't be for the VOLS. good luck guys or something to that effect. He's def gone.

It was in his twitter before the season. Said something like ill play again but it won't be for the VOLS. good luck guys or something to that effect. He's def gone.

Interesting. He is still in Knoxville is he not?

Hope Jones can get us some help and quick. The front 7 barring injuries should be pretty good. But if we can't get some help on the back end it will be another long season in 2013

linebackers are good run stuffers but to slow to cover my nanny. the front seven needs to be improved upon too.

The 2011 team that held Cincy to 20 plus points has Lanier, Teague and Art Evans plus our current crop that played this year.
So, did these three make that big of a difference?

VN Store

Back