3547 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Pat Forde grades coaching hires. within the forum Tennessee Vols Football. Below is an excerpt from Pat Forde's article on yahoo right now. I dont think it was necessary to call ...

Go Back   VolNation > Tennessee Vols Forums > Tennessee Vols Football

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 09:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Pat Forde grades coaching hires

Below is an excerpt from Pat Forde's article on yahoo right now. I dont think it was necessary to call us delusional. I would post link but couldnt get it to work.

Tennessee: Butch Jones.

Last stop: Cincinnati, where Jones was 23-14 in three seasons riding the coattails of program builder Brian Kelly.

Butch Jones speaks during his introductory press conference as Tennessee's head coach. (AP)Why leave: Jones was going somewhere, whether it was Colorado or Tennessee – and given the straits Cincinnati now finds itself in with the implosion of the Big East, his timing was excellent. Nobody can blame him for leaving.

Grade: B-plus. Reality check for Tennessee fans who believe Butch Jones is beneath them: your program has been ranked in the AP Top 25 for two weeks in the last five years. You’re six games below .500 in that time. Tennessee has great tradition and a great following and will regain competitiveness sooner rather than later, but this belief that America’s most proven and attractive coaches are going to come running to Rocky Top is delusional. Get a grip.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

Pat Forde | Writer Profile - Yahoo! Sports

Grading college football's coaching hires - Yahoo! Sports
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
SDV

I'd like to pimp slap him
VN Likes: 25
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

I agree with that assessment.
VN Likes: 25
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Gloomed to Fail

Forde is a complete idiot. And I'm not saying that because of this article, just in general.
VN Likes: 5
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rltw1974 View Post
Below is an excerpt from Pat Forde's article on yahoo right now. I dont think it was necessary to call us delusional. I would post link but couldnt get it to work.

Last stop: Cincinnati, where Jones was 23-14 in three seasons riding the coattails of program builder Brian Kelly.

Butch Jones speaks during his introductory press conference as Tennessee's head coach. (AP)Why leave: Jones was going somewhere, whether it was Colorado or Tennessee – and given the straits Cincinnati now finds itself in with the implosion of the Big East, his timing was excellent. Nobody can blame him for leaving.

Grade: B-plus. Reality check for Tennessee fans who believe Butch Jones is beneath them: your program has been ranked in the AP Top 25 for two weeks in the last five years. You’re six games below .500 in that time. Tennessee has great tradition and a great following and will regain competitiveness sooner rather than later, but this belief that America’s most proven and attractive coaches are going to come running to Rocky Top is delusional. Get a grip.
nice avatar
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

Ouch.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

I hate to hear that from Forde but........

he is probably right
VN Likes: 8
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

And again more useless opinions.
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #10 (permalink)

Just for laughs, here is what he said about Kentucky:

Kentucky: Mark Stoops.
Last stop: Florida State defensive coordinator.
Why leave: Abandoning a perennial winner in favor of a perennial loser in a perennial meat-grinder conference is dicey, but the allure of being a head coach is strong.
Grade: Incomplete. Nobody knows whether he’ll be more Bob or Mike as a head coach. He’s putting together an interesting staff of young assistants, many with ties to Kentucky that may enhance their loyalty and enthusiasm.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rltw1974 View Post

I hate hearing the truth. This guy is still an idiot though.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-20-2012, 10:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
↓Hey Grudenites...for u↓!

I agree with him. Realty is a b**ch. some are able to see it and some aren't. Some accept it and try to figure the best ways to fix it, and some don't accept it and blame/bash the ones that bring it to light.

CBJs dream job was either UT or Colorado point blank. His sob story was classic salesman. And now we are seeing how good of a salesman he is. Luckily as a program rebuilder coattail rider he has a more solid program than the previous coach took over. He is making way more then him too so not much room for mediocre football.

As a UT fan I wish him the best of luck. But I'm going to take it day by day and hope many learn how to simmer some of their optimism cause it's going to be interesting. Even if we have a good yr people need to understand that that doesn't mean we r back. Give me multiple consecutive yrs of success, and then it's time to talk about how good CBJ is as a coach. Right now it's just blind optimism or people wanting to be able to come back in a few yrs and say "I told you so."
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-20-2012, 10:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
↓Hey Grudenites...for u↓!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyNWendy View Post
Just for laughs, here is what he said about Kentucky:

Kentucky: Mark Stoops.
Last stop: Florida State defensive coordinator.
Why leave: Abandoning a perennial winner in favor of a perennial loser in a perennial meat-grinder conference is dicey, but the allure of being a head coach is strong.
Grade: Incomplete. Nobody knows whether he’ll be more Bob or Mike as a head coach. He’s putting together an interesting staff of young assistants, many with ties to Kentucky that may enhance their loyalty and enthusiasm.
What's so funny about it?? Seems like a solid assessment. I think ky made a great hire considering them being ky. IMO they set a good bar for where UT, Arky, and auburn needed to surpass. I think auburn and Arky did a good job of it. If Mark turns out to be more like Bob then they may have done better than we did. It'll be interesting to see what he does up there especially when there is no pressure like other SEC schools.

Last edited by Oskie Volum; 12-20-2012 at 10:13 AM..
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcm100690 View Post
i hate hearing the truth. This guy is still an idiot though.
true that!
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #15 (permalink)
Pray For Will!

If you pay them they will come. All big time coaches have a price. UT is always looking for the Camry when they should be at the Lexus store.
VN Likes: 13
Reply With Quote TOP