Welcome butch jones from mzterry

MZTERRY

Speaking as a parent. I've read on a few different boards that a few of the coaches that were interviewed had issues with our academic structures. That really bothered me and here's why.

During my son's recruitment process, I had a spreadsheet of questions for all 25+ schools that offered him, and in that list of questions I had few specifically regarding academics. I asked every coach who i let into my living room:

1. At what gpa do you NO longer allow your players to hit the field?

2. Who is the person(s) that support the players while they're on the road?

3. Will the parents have access to the academic support team?

4 I found University of Tennessee to honor EVERY FREAKIN' THING they told me during recruitment to be 1000% TRUTH!

Academic probation is 2.0 ( You're not playing)

Note takers and tutors available(TRUTH)
Structured needs to EACH individual player (TRUTH)

Parent access to academic advisors (TRUTH)

Vol For Life Program (PHENOMAL TRUTH) Y'all really don't know the half of what that really means to the families AND our sons. Everything should not be shared publicly, but this is the best thing DOOLEY ever put in place.

I could share a million things that I wasn't told during recruitment, but NOT ONE THING negatively. I was blown away by the structure behind those players once he got on campus. I was absolutely stunned, thrilled, estatic; and definitely reassured that sending my son to the University of Tennessee was more than the right decision for our family and his well-being.

I had coaches that I put out of my house because they told me well "Mrs. Terry, student isn't failing until they hit a 1.9gpa". My mouth dropped, my husband head dropped, my son shook his head, and his Godmother asked the coach to repeat himself.

So I said all that to say this; If Dave Hart interviewed coaches that didn't like University of Tennessee's structure of our academics, then AMEN! What that tells me as a parent, that those coaches didn't give rats ass about these kids who are in college to earn a degree and an education by way of FOOTBALL. My son isn't in college to play football. He's playing football to earn the scholarship money they'll give him for his education. It's only a means to an end, and the end is his degree. Scholarships offers are partnerships. The university athletics is a BUSINESS first, and my son's education is MY BUSINESS. When we signed those papers February 1, 2012, it was business partnership we agreed to for four years annual renewal contract.... and it said Croom, you keep your grades up and perform at this level playing football and we'll give you "X" amount of dollars, room and board, and meal plan. Hell if nothing else... feeding him alone was good for me. lol

But seriously, it reaffirms that Dave Hart and the Unversity of Tennessee is insistant on maintaining the intergrity of the university, and I commend and appreciate that. I would NOT want to have my son in an environment where the people don't give a damn about him as a person and think of him as a commodity.

Welcome to the Univeristy of Tennessee Butch Jones. Looks like you ended up with my baby anyway... :0)

Last edited:
Reactions: 188 people
Great post. I'm glad your a member of this board.

It gets old seeing everyone cry about rumors constantly.

Reactions: 5 people
Speaking as a parent. I've read on a few different boards that a few of the coaches that were interviewed had issues with our academic structures. That really bothered me and here's why.

During my son's recruitment process, I had a spreadsheet of questions for all 25+ schools that offered him, and in that list of questions I had few specific academics. I asked every coach who i let into my living room:

1. At what gpa do you NO longer allow your players to hit the field?

2. Who is the person(s) that support the players while they're on the road?

3. Will the parents have access to the academic support team?

4 I found University of Tennessee to honor EVERY FREAKIN' THING they told me during recruitment to be 1000% TRUTH!

Academic probation is 2.0 ( You're not playing)
Note takers and tutors available (TRUTH)
Structured needs to EACH individual player (TRUTH)
Parent access to academic advisors (TRUTH)
Vol For Life Program (PHENOMAL TRUTH) Y'all really don't know the half of what that really means to the families AND our sons. Everything should not be shared publicly, but this is the best DOOLEY every put in place.

I could share a million things that I wasn't told during recruitment, but NOT ONE THING negatively. I was blown away by the structure behind those players once he got on campus. I was absolutely stunned, thrilled, estatic; and definitely reassured that sending my son to the University of Tennessee was more than the right decision for our family and his well-being.

I had coaches that I put out of my house because they told me well "Mrs. Terry, student isn't failing until they hit a 1.9gpa"
My mouth dropped, my husband head dropped, my son shook his head, and his Godmother asked the coach to repeat himself. So I said all that to say this; If Dave Hart interviewed coaches that didn't like University of Tennessee's structure of our academics, then AMEN! What that tells me as a parent, that those coaches didn't give rats ass about these kids who are in college to earn a degree and an education by way of FOOTBALL. My son isn't in college to play football. He's playing football to earn the scholarship money they'll give him for his education. It's only a means to an end, and the end is his degree. Scholarships offers are partnerships. The university athletics is a BUSINESS first, and my son's education is MY BUSINESS. When we signed those papers February 1, 2012, it was business partnership we agreed to for four years annual renewal contract.... and it said Croom, you keep your grades up and perform at this level playing football and we'll give you "X" amount of dollars, room and board, and meal plan. Hell if nothing else... feeding him alone was good for me. lol

But seriously, it reaffirms that Dave Hart and the Unversity of Tennessee is insistant on maintaining the intergrity of the university, and I commend and appreciate that. I would NOT want to have my son in an environment where the people don't give a damn about him as a person and think of him as a commodity.

Welcome to the Univeristy of Tennessee Butch Jones. Looks like you ended up with my baby anyway... :0)

I couldn't have put it any better. I have a nephew who just started recieving interest from UT as a '14 recruit. He's made several unofficial visits (one I just missed out on). I'm not sure he will still fit with Jone's offense or not, but as I talked with him and his mother we both understood that academic support is more important than prep for the NFL. The same would go for my sonis following in "big cousin's" foot steps . I'm encouraged to hear that UT has such a standard and pray they hold on to it. Push for excellence in athletics and academics. I'm a Ga Tech grad; therefore, academics obviously are a must....however, I understand we have to be competitive.....they are not mutually exclusive ...ask Notre Dame....and though I hate to say it...vanderbilt as of this year.

Reactions: 3 people
So thankful to hear from a true insider experience to our football program. While I could counter that many players are not playing for a degree but a trip to the NFL, a degree should always be the objective of the student-athlete and I do like that our program is putting more emphasis on this as you've pointed out.

Reactions: 2 people
Finally someone has hit these negavols with some information they can't dispute, but I'm sure they will try. GO VOLS!!!

Reactions: 2 people
So...how would you feel about helping Antone out with the VFL program?

Seriously glad to have MzTerry around.

Reactions: 1 person
MZTERRY, you make this ole prof's heart swell with joy. I wish all parents were like you.

I've worked with players who thought all they could do was play ball because teachers, parents, principals, and coaches told them that's all they were. It takes someone telling them they're much more than just a ball player to get them to understand that they have so much more potential in life than playing. And it's hard to get them to believe in themselves (but more than possible) if no one believed they were more when they were still in K-12.

If more parents thought the way you do, more players (in all sports) would realize that they really can do anything.

Reactions: 3 people
Mzterry is awesome! Love her insight....just wish her thoughfulness and her insight would rub off on others here. Let's support Coach Jones and our team! Can't wait for the presser!

That's a darn good post and is a great example of having the right priorities in life.

VN Store

Back