I just don't see how Butch Jones

Volgrad98

Give my all for the VOLS
is going to be able to win recruiting battle against Saban, Miles, Spurrier, Richt, Muschamp, Mullen and the rest of the SEC.

I believe we just committed to another coach who, despite all his hard work and good intentions, will be exposed as just another coach that is in over his head.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
is going to be able to win recruiting battle against Saban, Miles, Spurrier, Richt, Muschamp, Mullen and the rest of the SEC.

I believe we just committed to another coach who, despite all his hard work and good intentions, will be exposed as just another coach that is in over his head.

The only thing that may change my mind is if he wins at least one meaningful SEC game next year.

Still want to see what kind of staff he assembles but yeah, I tend to agree with you. At this point, what exactly are we selling to recruits with this guy? Tough to be a UT fan right now! :cray:

Can't stand hart for the way he screwed up this coaching search to end up with Jones. to many other options before you hit ground bottom.

Merry Christmas Volnation.

See you in a couple years when hopefully hart and cheek are Long gone and we search for a new coach again.

Beyond disappointed.

Name one realistic candidate that would have immediately made you think "this guy is going to out recruit Saban".

Can't stand hart for the way he screwed up this coaching search to end up with Jones. to many other options before you hit ground bottom.

See you in a couple years when hopefully hart and cheek are Long gone and we search for a new coach again.

Beyond disappointed.

Jones is going to do well at TN and the more support the Vol fan base gives him the better chance he might out-recruit one of the guys mentioned. Kids are funny and choose schools for multiple reasons. At the end of the day, we got a guy who wants to coach here which is something TN hasnt been able to find in the past 4 years.

Jones is going to do well at TN and the more support the Vol fan base gives him the better chance he might out-recruit one of the guys mentioned. Kids are funny and choose schools for multiple reasons. At the end of the day, we got a guy who wants to coach here which is something TN hasnt been able to find in the past 4 years.

Fairly sure that Dooley wanted to be here... He was just a terrible coach.

Beyond disappointed.

I like this Gem.

Reactions: 7 people
Everyone acting like we've already won the East in 2016 reminds me of when the fans were carrying roses after beating UF in 2001. Bringing this thread back up and going "lol people thought Butch was going to be bad but he's actually really good" ignores that Butch is 1-8 against our rivals and still doesn't have a win over a top 10 team

Reactions: 6 people
Everyone acting like we've already won the East in 2016 reminds me of when the fans were carrying roses after beating UF in 2001. Bringing this thread back up and going "lol people thought Butch was going to be bad but he's actually really good" ignores that Butch is 1-8 against our rivals and still doesn't have a win over a top 10 team

Beat South Carolina when they ended up fourth. :hmm: And they were considered "rivals". :hmm:

Reactions: 14 people

I think it was about recruiting.
At least that's the exact words it used.

Reactions: 4 people

This thread is about recruiting. No one here has stated anything about Butch's ability to beat rivals and win close games.

So yes, when speaking on the topic, Butch has been a fantastic recruiter and has far exceeded most people's expectations for him on that front.

Reactions: 5 people
I think it was about recruiting.
At least that's the exact words it used.

I wasn't referring to just this thread, even tho this thread is more blatant than others. I think too many people see our top 10 or 15 preseason ranking and thinks that means the same thing as being ranked there in December.

I wasn't referring to just this thread, even tho this thread is more blatant than others. I think too many people see our top 10 or 15 preseason ranking and thinks that means the same thing as being ranked there in December.

Not sure yet what the final ranking will be. I do know that so far, Jones has a history of bringing big recruits at the end.

This was about recruiting and it is undisputed Butch has been amazing on that front.

As for as results - TN was ranked 22 at the end of the season in 2015, and ended 9-4 with a win over #13 in the bowl game.

Considering where we were in 2013 Butch has been a tremendous success. Period.

Reactions: 15 people
from the 2016 season on.
Not fair to judge before.
He has his own recruits in place
and three seasons under his belt.
Now lets see what happens.

Reactions: 4 people

Butch is actually 9-9 against our rivals in his first three years. And he has been improving each year: 2-4 in 2013 ... 3-3 in 2014 ... and 4-2 last year.

We have a lot more rivals than just three.

If we beat Georgia again this year and break one or both of the streaks, some folks are going to start squinting so they see only Florida and Alabama, so they can talk even longer about how we "always lose to our rivals."

The Shifting Goalposts of Gloom.

Reactions: 12 people

Didn't South Carolina finish the season 4th in the country after we beat them? I know they weren't top 10, but didn't we also beat the #12/13 team in the country just 6 months ago in an embarrassing manner?

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back