Gruden Thread Daily Cliff's Notes **INFO ONLY - No Discussion Please**

Status
Not open for further replies.

phowell23

I'm creating this thread as a daily cliff notes version of the Official Gruden thread. If you see something important in that thread and not already posted, please do so. This will make it easy for people to quickly come in and get all the new rumors/news without having to dig through pages for one nugget.

Please, do not chat in this thread as that would destroy the purpose.

I'll try to post the daily notes several times a day, but if others could do the same that will help as I can't be on here 24/7. If you post, please only post facts what was said (don't insert opinion). Any help would be appreciated.

Now, let's get to the news :pepper:

Reactions: 46 people
10/30

Lexvol:

-Gruden was in Knoxville sometime late last week, says that is 100% accurate information. Unknown why he was here.
-Nothing is signed (Gruden contract, ect)

TOS:

-Hubbs says Gruden has been speaking with coaches including Kevin Steele. Steele mentioned Gruden a couple times at the QB club meeting.

OCIVol:

-Reiterated Gruden has been assembling his staff, deal has been agreed upon in principle and has been for awhile now

Reactions: 12 people
Slice says Gruden is 80% and Sparty says Pete Carroll is 2nd on the list. Slice says the top 3 on the list are all impressive hires, as does Tony Basilio. Proves that our donors aren't joking around with this next hire. Skeet and Slice are both confident that DD is gone.

Reactions: 10 people
10/30

LittleDTO

-Says he is 100% positive Dooley is gone and also 100% positive Gruden will be our next coach.

Reactions: 8 people
From LWS (Larry)

don't trust anyone who says they know..

I think assessments from both sides of Gruden situation are in progress. outcome of that is likley to dictate dooleys situation.

I wouldn't be surprised at something happening within days or it could go into the next week or two...

My personal opinion is that coach dooley is not likely to be here next season but I also understand that circumstances can change but don't think they have at this juncture.

Reactions: 5 people
From Skeeter in Recruiting Forum posted 10/29:

No announcement anytime soon. What im hearing is this, some boosters are trying to strong arm Hart to make a public statement about Dooley. As ive said all along, Hart most likely makes no announcement unless he has a coach ready to take the job. Ive heard some booster have been in contact with gruden, But Hart HAS NOT spoke with Gruden or his agent. Thats whats floating around the ad, dont know anymore than that.

Reactions: 3 people
Posted 10/30

Haven't heard anymore about Dooley to the Browns....don't care aside from the fact that he seems more compliant that he did last week.

Apparently it was important to JG to finish out the MNF season and he will do so. Not sure where the rules fall on him recruiting, but I believe he will do so if its allowable once Dooley steps down.

Petrino will not be the coach here....100% certainty.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
10/30

tos

nothing new. Lots of rumors, but nothing concrete. Hart is quiet with things. He's visiting with dooley. He's fighting with cheek over things.

Cheek won't be involved in any decisions on a coach in my opinion.

-hubbs

Awesome idea!

If I could make one request to those who update here: If you don't post an actual link (which readers can then trace back to the original post), could you please include the date and time of the post that you're referencing? So something like "per Volgoober 10/30 @ 11:47".

Thanks muchly. :hi:

(hope you will excuse this not-exactly-chat post)

10/31

people can choose to believe or not to believe the info and the reason behind the silence from both parties of either being a good sign or a bad sign. Based on the info i was given yesterday, it makes sense and i am not concerned.

when the appropriate time to release information comes, it will happen. The time does not hinge on vol fans demands nor what dd and the vols do the rest of the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Yay4Bray (369)
08:25 AM Today (#P) ( Report! )
It's been quiet for a reason. They don't want anything else getting out. Trust me when I say Dooley will not be here next season and Gruden will. That's as far into it as I can go.
Like[1]

Reactions: 8 people
Originally Posted by bcartervol98
Got great news the minute I walked into work this morning from the kind of people you want to hear it from. Again, not my direct information but now a second person claims to have seen the MOU, and that it contains an "unprecedented" compensation package for the NCAA. Also was the second person that should know that confirmed the talks started getting serious when Denver played Atlanta in Atlanta on MNF and a certain booster and Johnny Majors flew down and met with Gruden.

They went on to say that just Monday there was a phone call between Dooley and a certain "mega booster" that got quite heated and resulted in Dooley hanging up the phone. Supposedly this is one of the things that cleared the way and got Cheeks fully on board.

Could be just another rumor but is in line with everything else I have heard. Also this guy has never said anything directly to me about it, but it came up in a private meeting this morning. This is one of the people I wanted to hear this from, because it is the least likely person I know to make up something like this. He stated it as a fact, and in our business relationship and the people he said it in front of it could be majorly detrimental if made up. He is 100% convinced Gruden is coming. I am 99%.

Last edited:
Reactions: 24 people
Week 1: Sept. 10, 7:00 PM, Cincinnati Bengals at Baltimore Ravens
Week 1: Sept. 10, 10:15 PM, San Diego Chargers at Oakland Raiders
Week 2: Sept. 17, 8:30 PM, Denver Broncos at Atlanta Falcons
Week 3: Sept. 24, 8:30 PM, Green Bay Packers at Seattle Seahawks
Week 4: Oct. 1, 8:30 PM, Chicago Bears at Dallas Cowboys
Week 5: Oct. 8, 8:30 PM, Houston Texans at New York Jets
Week 6: Oct. 15, 8:30 PM, Denver Broncos at San Diego Chargers
Week 7: Oct. 22, 8:30 PM, Detroit Lions at Chicago Bears
Week 8: Oct. 29, 8:30 PM, San Francisco 49ers at Arizona Cardinals
Week 9: Nov. 5, 8:30 PM, Philadelphia Eagles at New Orleans Saints
Week 10: Nov. 12, 8:30 PM, Kansas City Chiefs at Pittsburgh Steelers
Week 11: Nov. 19, 8:30 PM, Chicago Bears at San Francisco 49ers
Week 12: Nov. 26, 8:30 PM, Carolina Panthers at Philadelphia Eagles
Week 13: Dec. 3, 8:30 PM, New York Giants at Washington Redskins
Week 14: Dec. 10, 8:30 PM, Houston Texans at New England Patriots
Week 15: Dec. 17, 8:30 PM, New York Jets at Tennessee Titans
Week 16: Dec. 22, 8:30 PM, Atlanta Falcons at Detroit Lions

MNF Schedule figured here was a good place for it

Reactions: 2 people
Originally Posted by orangefreak11':
SIAP- ESPN Insider

UPDATE: Tennessee isn't simply going to settle for any head coach. The Volunteers believe they can pull a high profile coach to Rocky Top. And three targets appear to be on the short list if Derek Dooley isn't retained.

"Tennessee's short list is believed to include (former NFL head coach Jon) Gruden, (former Arkansas head coach Bobby) Petrino and (Oklahoma State head coach Mike) Gundy," 247Sports.com wrote. "If a move is made on Dooley, Gruden will get the first call, but his salary demands may be too much for Tennessee to swallow."

---

UPDATE: The Jon Gruden to Tennessee rumors continue to have legs. And there is no reason why Coach Gruden wouldn't be interested in the job due to his history with the program (and the potential money the school would unload to sign him). Plus, it might be an appealing challenge for the coach.

"I've been told that the grind of being a coach in the NFL isn't as appealing to him as being able to go out and recruit the top players in the country and develop them," Clay Travis of OutkicktheCoverage.com wrote.

Gruden would have complete control over a program at Tennessee like he never had at the NFL level. That alone could make the possibility even more enticing.

- Brent Sobleski

Edward Aschoff
Why Gruden could come to Tennessee

"If Tennessee decides to make a coaching change, I think Gruden has to be at the top of athletic director Dave Hart's list. I think he'd fit in well in the SEC, and could be a heck of a recruiter with his personality. Gruden has ties to Tennessee -- he met his wife while working with Tennessee's staff -- and he knows East Tennessee very well. He's very close to that area, and I have no doubt he would be interested in the job if it came open. Now, he could be pretty expensive to bring in, and with Tennessee's financial issues, plus Dooley's buyout, it could be tough to swing it. But if there's a chance of being able to afford Gruden, and Hart believes it's best to sever ties with the current coaching staff, then I think Tennessee would go after Gruden. But Dooley isn't out the door. He could still guide this team to eight wins, and if he does that, he should be back in Knoxville next year."

Reactions: 13 people
Once again I'll share what I've been told, don't ask for more cause this is all I've got(or can tell), if more comes along I'll post again...

About a week ago I posted that Gruden's mother in law informed the people she works for that Gruden was coming. I go to church with the people who own the business and asked her this....Her reply was he's coming.

Now on with the new...

I was told by someone who would know that a MOU has been written up for about a week and it currently sits in the lap of Jon Gruden.

Also, I have been told by someone who was under Hamilton and is now under Hart that Dooley is 100% gone, decision was made 2+ weeks ago now. Can Dooley go 8-5 winning a bowl game, sure, but here's the issue he relayed....look at the upcoming home games next year...

Austin Peay
Western Kentucky
South Alabama

He said, sure I can spin 8-5 as we are making progress and I can keep people donating, but how in the hell can I fill the seats for those 3 games? No matter what Dooley does he has lost the fanbase, and between the remaining home games this year, and the ones next year, the AD sees them losing ALOT more money because of empty seats than it would take to buyout Dooley.

Also says if it's not Gruden it will be a big name, Hart has a plan and with his plan and the money they're throwing around it's going to be a big hire.

-bleedingTNorange-

Reactions: 13 people
I think a decision will be made before a bowl game. If Gruden came and said I'm coming then I think that it's hard not to imagine a change.

I don't know that Gruden would do that. I think he might say, I'm not committing to anything because you have a coach.

So I can't say how it would be handled behind close doors.

It's a great question.

Hubbs

Excerpts from Chris Low chat on ESPN today
Just another opinion to share, TIFWIW...

Chat: Chat with Chris Low - SportsNation - ESPN

Tex (Charlotte - just north of Rock Hill man!)

Do you feel Tennessee will make a coaching change at the end of this season and will they be able to attract the type of candidate to reestablish Rocky Top?

Chris Low (1:38 PM)

The latest I hear is that Dooley has to win out to survive, and even then, it's not a given that he will survive. Athletic Director Dave Hart has heard from several high-level boosters that want to make a change, but I don't think Hart is convinced that making a change is the right thing to do after just three years with Dooley. A lot will depend on how the Vols play down the stretch and who the Vols think they can get. Gruden would be the guy they have the first conversation with, and he's let them know that he would listen. I'm still not sold that he would take the job. Remember, he left Notre Dame at the altar a few years ago.

Mike (Atlanta, GA)

You said the Gruden rumors were burning up knoxville but didn't you talk about it in the local media there? If the media would stop reporting what message board were gossiping about, there would be no rumors!

Chris Low (1:40 PM)

I can assure you that I don't report anything based on message boards. There absolutely would be an interest in Gruden, and he's told people he would have an interest in coaching at Tennessee. That's sort of where it is right now, but a long way from materializing. I'm still not convinced that Dooley is 100 percent done.

Jam (V)

Which is the better SEC job; UT, Arkansas, or Auburn and why?

Chris Low (1:44 PM)

Good question, but a hard one. I would say Tennessee right now. With Saban there at Alabama and that program going the way it is, it's a monster to have to be in that same state and go up against it. Recruiting is tough at Tennessee because the high school talent in Tennessee doesn't compare to Georgia, Louisiana, Florida, South Carolina, etc. But the Vols just spent $48 million on a brand new football complex, and that helps. Arkansas is also spending nearly $40 million on a new complex, but fights the same problem with limited in-state talent.

Joel (Charlotte, NC)

If Tennessee brought in Jon Gruden at or near the end of this season what initial impact do you think he could make and contribute to this program needing a huge boost in recruiting, ticket sales, and overall fanbase?

Chris Low (1:49 PM)

Gruden would be a rock star on the recruiting trail.

Dre (Memphis)

Do you think Bray, Hunter, and Patterson leave for the NFL? I dont' think any are ready, but Patterson is the closest. your thoughts?

Chris Low (1:54 PM)

All three will look seriously at leaving. Patterson is so raw, but maybe the most explosive player on the team. If Bray comes out, I don't think he will be a very high pick. Hunter has had too many drops, but the pros love his height, his speed and leaping ability.

Lee (Las Vegas)

Aside from Gruden who are the hot coaches who might get an SEC vacancy? I suggested Paul Rhoads at Iowa State to Ivan but he says that Rhoads won't leave. Who else is possible?

Chris Low (1:56 PM)

Charlie Strong, Gary Patterson, Al Golden, Butch Jones

More Gruden talk with Chris Low

From Tony Basillio's twitter:

"I have not backtracked in predicting/believing 100% UT will have a new coach. He's not coaching for his job in Nov. #Vols"

bcartervol98 on 11-1-12 around 6pm:

"Just had about a 30 minute conversation with the dude that snapped the pic of Gruden on the flight, and he is adamant even in a business setting that he was indeed watching the game and taking notes. Talk about right place right time."

Reactions: 4 people
11/1

i assure you that everything that i and others (ov, boro, dto) have posted is accurate as we've been told. If things fall through- which i feel is highly unlikely- it was the result of being wrong and no attempt to mislead. I will be here to take my medicine so to speak if the unthinkable occurs.

i concur jay.

Too much lines up between our different sources however. It's going to happen.

Patience.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back