*Sal Sunseri $1.84 million Feb. 2015

*Derrick Ansley $250,000 Feb. 2014

*Charlie Coiner $68,000 Feb. 2013

*Josh Conklin $275,000 Feb. 2014

*Jay Graham $281,000 Feb. 2014

*Darin Hinshaw $306,000 Feb. 2014

*John Palermo $344,000 Feb. 2014

*Sam Pittman $344,000 Feb. 2014

*Contract requires coaches to make good-faith effort to find other employment that could defray or eliminate payments from UT. with the exception of Dooley and Chaney whose full buyouts are guaranteed.

Total guaranteed buyout: $5.646 million

Total conditional buyout $3.71 million

Total possible buyout: $9.352 million

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Given the circumstances he was walking into when he took the job, I'd expect any coach to ask for a large buyout.

If we hired someone worth hiring in the first place, it wouldn't have been needed. Who wants to hire Dooley as a HC?? Apparently just us and La. Tech.

Reactions: 7 people
Keep Jay Graham, the O-Line coach and have Sal coach LBs he is good at that. You got to pay them anyways Everyone else can go.

This was brought to my attention.

By contrast, Florida coach Will Muschamp would be paid only the remainder of his base salary ($250,000 per year) if he were ever dismissed. Muschamp would owe Florida $500,000 if he left on his own.

Reactions: 6 people
I doubt Graham and Pittman would be asked to leave. They seem like top notch guys who have improved their coached position.

Originally Posted by :
By contrast, Florida coach Will Muschamp would be paid only the remainder of his base salary ($250,000 per year) if he were ever dismissed. Muschamp would owe Florida $500,000 if he left on his own.

I'm speechless! What in the heck was Hamilton thinking. It's almost like he was intentionally trying to ruin our program.

Reactions: 6 people
What's staggering, is comparing Fla's AD to MH. One clearly understands protecting the university's interest, while the other clearly got abused by an agent.

Reactions: 3 people
This was brought to my attention.

Just shows the comparison in AD's at the time. Hamilton is by far the worst thing to ever happen to UT football.

Foley, knew how to handle the situation. Hamilton went straight up crazy. Granted the situation was much different.

In hindsight, we should have let Kippy coach the team while we did a more thorough search.

Reactions: 1 person
What's staggering, is comparing Fla's AD to MH. One clearly understands protecting the university's interest, while the other clearly got abused by an agent.

More like it shows the different states that the two programs were currently in at the time. Florida with its strong instate talent base and two recent national championships offered any coach all the tools needed to be successful and successful early. Tennessee on the other hand with its weak instate recruiting base, lowest talent level that the program had been in over a decade, and two coaches in two years was always going to be a tougher to sell and therefore command a higher buyout.

If we hired someone worth hiring in the first place, it wouldn't have been needed. Who wants to hire Dooley as a HC?? Apparently just us and La. Tech.

I'm not defending the hire. It was a panic move made at a crucial time.

But coming in after two coaches in the previous 2 years, with Kiffin leaving a couple of weeks before signing day, he knew he was walking into a disaster and wanted some protection. Has nothing to do with it being Dooley, I'd think any coach would want the same. I don't know if we would have hired a coach that wouldn't have demanded a large buyout. We were in the position of desperation.

Reactions: 1 person
The biggest expense would be Sunseri, who would be due another $1.84 million through February 2015 if he were dismissed in December. Tennessee could be on the hook for much of that contract if Sunseri is unable to find another position as lucrative.

Awesome.

More like it shows the different states that the two programs were currently in at the time. Florida with its strong instate talent base and two recent national championships offered any coach all the tools needed to be successful and successful early. Tennessee on the other hand with its weak instate recruiting base, lowest talent level that the program had been in over a decade, and two coaches in two years was always going to be a tougher to sell and therefore command a higher buyout.

Good explanation!

VN Store

Back