QBs of Last 10 Years

VolFann9

I personally think Bray will get better from this game and did enough to win it. It just hurts worse because all eyes were on him at the end and he couldn't quite get it done. Still, 37 offensive points (44 total) should be enough to win a game.

Anyways, This is not a bash or praise anyone thread. Just something to pass the time. Of our quarterbacks of the last ten years:
1) Who would rank as the top 5 (Including wins, talent, leadership, etc)?

2) With the team that we have right now on offense, who would you take to quarterback this team? (Focusing more on talent unless you think we don't need as much qb talent just leadership)

I would go 1)
1a. Erik Ainge
1b. Casey Clausen (Ainge was more talented, but Clausen had the best attitude of a qb we've had since Tee or Peyton.
3. Tyler Bray
4. Cromp Daddy
5. Rick Clausen?

For Biggest Impact this Year:
1. Ainge
2. Bray
3. C. Clausen
4. Brent Schaeffer
5. Cromp Daddy

Yes I like Ainge over Tyler right now. Let's remember it's opinions and objective people.

I will take Clausen

I was leaning towards him, but to be honest, I was born in 92 so I remember him a little bit but don't remember as many big plays as these modern guys. Also I tried to look up his stats and couldn't find much. I remember the Miami win of 03. That was huge. I remember him being about like Mccarron for Bama.

I remember how people really gave Clausen down the road when he was at UT. If you look back on it now he was pretty impressive. I think we were all kinda spoiled by having Manning and Martin. He sure didnt sweat the Gators.

Clausen. Ainge is a distant second.
I agree 100%. Ainge was nowhere near the QB Clausen was. Ainge struggled to keep the starting job his whole time at UT. Clausen started as a freshman and never relinquished his spot till he graduated. Clausen also beat Florida in the swamp, twice.

Definitely Clausen. Most clutch quarterback Tennessee has had. Just clutch. I'm not saying the best ever.

I was leaning towards him, but to be honest, I was born in 92 so I remember him a little bit but don't remember as many big plays as these modern guys. Also I tried to look up his stats and couldn't find much. I remember the Miami win of 03. That was huge. I remember him being about like Mccarron for Bama.

Casey was fearless. Think Tyler Bray and he would run if he had too, lower his shoulder and try to run over a defender. Good passer. Had a attitude like he was supposed to win. Talked smack to opposing players and refs.

I agree 100%. Ainge was nowhere near the QB Clausen was. Ainge struggled to keep the starting job his whole time at UT. Clausen started as a freshman and never relinquished his spot till he graduated. Clausen also beat Florida in the swamp, twice.

"The whole time"? He won the job as a freshman, only to get injured. Struggled as a sophomore, and then had no problem keeping the job as a junior and senior. Exaggerate much?

Reactions: 2 people

Ainge struggled to keep his starting job his entire career?

Were you high during his entire career or something?

Anyway:

1. Clausen
2. Ainge
3. Bray
4. **** the rest.

I wish we had Cutcliffe here right now. Ainge was a very solid, talented QB..but Bray's talent level is a good step above. Seeing what Cut could turn Bray in to would have been exciting.

Cutcliffe is great with QB's.

Ainge struggled to keep his starting job his entire career?

Were you high during his entire career or something?

Anyway:

1. Clausen
2. Ainge
3. Bray
4. **** the rest.
Good one. I remember when I was 14.

Ainge split time with Shaeffer his freshman year. He was a co-starter along side Rick Clausen coming out of spring his sophomore year and split time with him even when he wasn't injured. His juinor year was the first time he was named first team coming out of spring and missed a few games due to being injured. His seinor year was the first year he was the starter for the whole year, even tht year he had nagging injuries. Whether it be due to injury or splitting time with the 2nd QB, he struggled to be the #1 guy. My assessment was accurate. Both Ainge and Clausen started as freshman. Clausen started 44 games in his career, Ainge only 22.

Last edited:
I remember watching Clausen, he was magic in the open field. I don't know the actual stats but I remember watching him live (on tv) and it seemed like he struggled to get TD's in the redzone.

But the W's tell a different story.

Kid was a good QB

Good one. I remember when I was 14.

Ainge split time with Shaeffer his freshman year. He was a co-starter along side Rick Clausen coming out of spring his sophomore year and split time with him even when he wasn't injured. His juinor year was the first time he was named first team coming out of spring and missed a few games due to being injured. His seinor year was the first year he was the starter for the whole year, even tht year he had nagging injuries. Whether it be due to injury or splitting time with the 2nd QB, he struggled to be the #1 guy. My assessment was accurate. Both Ainge and Clausen started as freshman. Clausen started 44 games in his career, Ainge only 22.

Ainge split time with Brent, but it became quite clear as of the Florida game that Ainge was the QB of the team, and he proved the point in the Georgia game, as Brent Schaeffer only played 1 series.

He was not "co-starter" with Rick Clausen going in to his sophomore year. Ainge won the job but struggled vs UAB and Fulmer pulled him.

I'm not sure how you call him being injured "fighting for his starting job". He got hurt vs South Carolina, finished the game, tried to go vs LSU, couldn't, Crompton played. Still was too hurt to play vs Arkansas, Crompton went again. Ainge was healthy again afterwards and went back to starting for us and started every game afterwards.

The only year he "struggled" to keep his job was 2005. 04 he beat Schaeffer for it as of the Florida game, really, thanks to that drive at the end. Schaeffer only came in as really a "wild cat" type of player afterwards, change of pace type of player. 06 was his job other than when he couldn't play. 07 he started every game.

Clausen no doubt about it. i would take clausen over any qb we have had at tennessee. yeah he did not win a sec title but he made up for it in my opinion with the wins he had.

Ainge split time with Brent, but it became quite clear as of the Florida game that Ainge was the QB of the team, and he proved the point in the Georgia game, as Brent Schaeffer only played 1 series.

He was not "co-starter" with Rick Clausen going in to his sophomore year. Ainge won the job but struggled vs UAB and Fulmer pulled him.

I'm not sure how you call him being injured "fighting for his starting job". He got hurt vs South Carolina, finished the game, tried to go vs LSU, couldn't, Crompton played. Still was too hurt to play vs Arkansas, Crompton went again. Ainge was healthy again afterwards and went back to starting for us and started every game afterwards.

The only year he "struggled" to keep his job was 2005. 04 he beat Schaeffer for it as of the Florida game, really, thanks to that drive at the end. Schaeffer only came in as really a "wild cat" type of player afterwards, change of pace type of player. 06 was his job other than when he couldn't play. 07 he started every game.
They rotated during the 05 Florida game. Pretty sure they named Ainge the starter that year. Even after Clausen drilled Texas a&m in the bowl game.

I'de say Clausen.
Clausen was a mediocre quarterback who never got rattled in tough situations. He knew how to get it done when it counted.

When you quote someone it's supposed to be something they said. I never said "fighting for his starting job". I said struggle to be the #1 guy most of his career. Whether it be injuries or splitting time with another QB, it happened 3 out of 4 years, his number of starts proves the point.

He split practice with the 1's coming out of spring his sophomore year with Clausen. He continued to split time during the season when he wasn't injured. Neither was clear cut starters that year.What else would you call it?

This is a really dumb argument. I guess you're an Ainge homer or something. I actually liked Ainge, but he was nowhere near the level of Clausen.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back