Jon Gruden thread (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivtec_jrod

I work for Kellogg's who makes Cheez-It. Cheez-It is a major sponsor for College Game Day. We brought Herbstreit to my office in Bentonville, AR today where he did a Q&A for an hour, then signed autographs, and allowed our employees and their families take photos with him. After that his handlers rushed him over to Bentonville High School where he was the MC for the 7 on 7 tourney over there.

The people I work with are predominantly Arkansas, Oklahoma, or Missouri fans. He gave a few of the Kansas fans a hard time. I'm the lone Louisville fan in the office, so I could only ask one question during the Q&A. My question was, "In the BCS Era the Big East has outperformed the ACC by a wide margin in BCS Bowl games. Why, then, does the media give the ACC such a free pass while constantly bashing the Big East?"

Before he answered he said "Nobody is recording this session, right? No cell phones or iPhones or anything like that?" Everybody kind of laughed, but that led me to believe that anything he said that could possibly be construed as negative towards the ACC would get him in hot water. Anyway, he said that if everybody saw what he sees week in and week out it would be so obvious that the Big East isn't a BCS caliber conference. He said if the conference was so good why would Syracuse, Pitt, West Virginia, Miami, BC, and Virginia Tech all leave. He flat out said, (and I quote) "The Big East is a joke." His point is that it is a basketball conference and controlled by the basketball schools and that it's a sinking ship. He asked me who my team was and I responded "Louisville." He said that Jurich was the best AD in the country and that Louisville is a team on the teetering on the precipice right now and they need to get out of the Big East fast...really fast.

There were questions about the Petrino ordeal at Arkansas. He said that John L. was the perfect hire. His personality and antics will keep the media's interest and keep them from rehashing that embarrassing Petrino saga over and over and over again. He said Petrino will turn up somewhere because he's a great coach. He didn't know anything more than that.

In response to the question, "Who will be the next coach at Arkansas?" he responded that he was with John Gruden at a Kenny Chesney concert a few weeks ago. From that conversation he got the distinct impression Gruden was itching to get back into coaching, and it will most likely be at the college level. He said he didn't think Arkansas would be attractive enough for him, but he mentioned that the Tennessee job, should it come open, would be attractive to Gruden. 15 minutes later when asked about coaches on the hot seat he mentioned that the Tennessee coach was most at risk this year. Interesting...

Reactions: 32 people
I work for Kellogg's who makes Cheez-It. Cheez-It is a major sponsor for College Game Day. We brought Herbstreit to my office in Bentonville, AR today where he did a Q&A for an hour, then signed autographs, and allowed our employees and their families take photos with him. After that his handlers rushed him over to Bentonville High School where he was the MC for the 7 on 7 tourney over there.

The people I work with are predominantly Arkansas, Oklahoma, or Missouri fans. He gave a few of the Kansas fans a hard time. I'm the lone Louisville fan in the office, so I could only ask one question during the Q&A. My question was, "In the BCS Era the Big East has outperformed the ACC by a wide margin in BCS Bowl games. Why, then, does the media give the ACC such a free pass while constantly bashing the Big East?"

Before he answered he said "Nobody is recording this session, right? No cell phones or iPhones or anything like that?" Everybody kind of laughed, but that led me to believe that anything he said that could possibly be construed as negative towards the ACC would get him in hot water. Anyway, he said that if everybody saw what he sees week in and week out it would be so obvious that the Big East isn't a BCS caliber conference. He said if the conference was so good why would Syracuse, Pitt, West Virginia, Miami, BC, and Virginia Tech all leave. He flat out said, (and I quote) "The Big East is a joke." His point is that it is a basketball conference and controlled by the basketball schools and that it's a sinking ship. He asked me who my team was and I responded "Louisville." He said that Jurich was the best AD in the country and that Louisville is a team on the teetering on the precipice right now and they need to get out of the Big East fast...really fast.

There were questions about the Petrino ordeal at Arkansas. He said that John L. was the perfect hire. His personality and antics will keep the media's interest and keep them from rehashing that embarrassing Petrino saga over and over and over again. He said Petrino will turn up somewhere because he's a great coach. He didn't know anything more than that.

In response to the question, "Who will be the next coach at Arkansas?" he responded that he was with John Gruden at a Kenny Chesney concert a few weeks ago. From that conversation he got the distinct impression Gruden was itching to get back into coaching, and it will most likely be at the college level. He said he didn't think Arkansas would be attractive enough for him, but he mentioned that the Tennessee job, should it come open, would be attractive to Gruden. 15 minutes later when asked about coaches on the hot seat he mentioned that the Tennessee coach was most at risk this year. Interesting...

You should write for Mad Men :)

John L. Perfect hire? Hmmm...hate to have seen the bad hire. Guess that would been them stealing Dooley from us.

Sal worked with Gruden at Pitt years ago. He would probably keep him. I think there would be some staff changes. Maybe he would bring his brother in as OC. I think a few others would be safe. CDH and CJG and Ansley too. I would like for him to call Tee and bring him home. That is if Jon ever leaves Tampa. lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
More innuendo by Gruden hinting he is interested.

Corona Extra recently inked a deal with Jon Gruden to do some promos for their "Find Your Football Beach" campaign.

While there are some 30 locales selected - including Gainesville, Ann Arbor, Tuscaloosa and a few other college towns - only a few have garnered a commercial. Here's the list of the six (6) cities featured in those commercials:

Green Bay
Dallas
Philly
Knoxville
Oakland
Chicago

Does anything about this list seem peculiar to anyone?

Or, more proof, if it helps:

Reactions: 4 people
More innuendo by Gruden hinting he is interested.

Corona Extra recently inked a deal with Jon Gruden to do some promos for their "Find Your Football Beach" campaign.

While there are some 30 locales selected - including Gainesville, Ann Arbor, Tuscaloosa and a few other college towns - only a few have garnered a commercial. Here's the list of the six (6) cities featured in those commercials:

Green Bay
Dallas
Philly
Knoxville
Oakland
Chicago

Does anything about this list seem peculiar to anyone?

Or, more proof, if it helps:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N-ozs-f6WQ[/youtube]

Here is the video. I've posted it 3 or 4 times. lol

I do find it funny we were the only college he decided to do a commercial on.

The one where his holiness says he would like to coach again.

Jon Gruden: 'I Will Come Back' For The Right Opportunity - SBNation.com

But there is other stuff out there. He talks about it in the real sports interview and is open to the idea of coaching college or pro. In the video when he was in Knoxville he is asked about how his name has come up for jobs and he said he doesn't consider himself an NFL guy only. "A coach can coach , be it college or pro. I coached my kids high school team last year."

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
:p[QUO:pTE=utvolpj;7242636]maybe but it will not be because of anything you've posted[/QUOTE]
Grudge against me ehh? Just remember who said he will be coach when he comes here. Most people on here that know me can vouch for my track record on here.

Recent article by Bryant Grumbel on Gruden.

One of the things that makes Jon Gruden such a great broadcaster is that he has a tremendous amount of passion.* The kind of passion that comes from a guy who is still a head coach.

The kind of passion that, by all appearances, inevitably will make him a head coach again.

Gruden shares some of that passion with Bryant Gumbel in a profile to debut tonight on HBO’s Real Sports With Bryant Gumbel (9:00 p.m. ET).* Gruden also addresses whether he has turned down offers to get back into coaching.

“Yeah, I’ve had opportunities to come back,” Gruden said, both at the pro and college levels.

So why hasn’t he?* “I don’t know,” Gruden told Gumbel.* “I’m trying to figure out — I’m trying to figure out where I’m going.* If the right opportunity presents itself, I will come back.”

That mindset speaks to the deeper tension that is keeping Gruden from becoming the best broadcaster he can be.* Though he predictably has denied it, Gruden suffers from the same affliction as any coach who chooses broadcasting as a bridge to his next job.* Coaches in that sort of professional limbo pull punches, choose words carefully, and (as in Gruden’s case) opt for superlatives over expletives when assessing any franchise, owner, coach, G.M., or player.

After all, the “right opportunity” may never present itself if Gruden burns bridges.

ESPN isn’t making it any easier for Gruden, narrowing the Monday night booth from three men to two and setting Gruden up to be in the star, quietly hopeful that he’ll become the guy we see when he’s breaking down film at the world headquarters of the Fired Football Coaches Association.

Ultimately, that’s what Gruden has to decide.* Does he want to jump back into the fray of full-blown stress and grinding and accountability along with 31 other coaches in the hopes of getting a second Lombardi Trophy, or does Gruden want to become the next John Madden?

For now, Gruden is delaying that decision as long as he can.* ESPN likely hopes that, via the passage of time and the unfolding of circumstance, that decision will make itself.

Until then, Gruden will remain perched on the middle of the fence as a very good broadcaster and very good coach but not nearly as good as he could be if he would pick one over the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back