Helmet Coming Off Rule

Jake

This rule has been in effect in so many games already. How is it gonna effect the game overall? They need to get the game day helmets broken in or get some new chin straps!!!

At some point, a key defensive player is gonna lose a helmet at the key moment in the game and the OC will capitalize!

Or the players need to wear their helmets correctly (chin strap, all four buckles clipped in) even if it's not "comfortable" rather than just hooking in 2 or 3 of them (...again, comfort being part of the reason there)

Reactions: 6 people
I don't understand this rule.... you take a hit in the pile your helmet come off, but because you where in the play you have to sit out? What was wrong with the old rule that when a players helmet comes off the play is automatically dead?

To me this seems like an excuse for more in the pile face-masks trying to tear someones helmet off to get them outa the game for a key play

Stupid rule IMO.....If it gets "knocked" off then I can understand but when it gets pulled off?? What is the point there??

NC State had a guy keep playing after his helmet came off. Should have been a penalty. Plus he was trying to hold. He just didn't succeed at doing it.

What if you are out of timeouts, this greatly affects the end of games. Don't think that helmet strap is going to be loose so that clock can stop?

:bs::lame:found this on the LSU forums,

"If a player's helmet comes off, he must leave the game for the following down. The only exception to the rule is if the helmet comes off as a result of a penalty (face mask, for example). If the ball carrier's helmet comes off, the play must be whistled dead immediately. No more running into the open field without a helmet.

If a player who is not the ball carrier loses his helmet, he must stop playing. He cannot make a tackle, continue blocking or running a route, for example. If he continues prolonged participation without a helmet, he will be whistled for a 15-yard penalty.

With less than 1 minute remaining in either half, if the ball carrier's helmet comes off, and that is the only reason the play is being whistled dead, there is also a 10-second runoff. If a team has a timeout remaining, the coach can elect to use the timeout instead of running 10 seconds off the clock. But the player must still leave the field for one play, unless his helmet comes off as the result of a foul."

Ok so I am on my Goal line the OP is about to get the winning TD with >10 seconds on the clock, I can remove my helmet, have the play wissled dead and drain 10 seconds for the win?????

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Rule is stupid. One of Casey's best plays would never happen with this rule.

Last edited:
NC State had a guy keep playing after his helmet came off. Should have been a penalty. Plus he was trying to hold. He just didn't succeed at doing it.

Yes, and when the replay was being shown the stupid announcers were explaining that had he kept playing, a penalty would be called. As they were saying it, he was reaching out while laying on the ground trying to trip/hold a defensive player.

One of the worst rules I have ever heared. Nothwestern had to take their QB out on a key 4th down in their game earlier. Ridicolus.

"If a player's helmet comes off, he must leave the game for the following down. The only exception to the rule is if the helmet comes off as a result of a penalty (face mask, for example). If the ball carrier's helmet comes off, the play must be whistled dead immediately. No more running into the open field without a helmet.

If a player who is not the ball carrier loses his helmet, he must stop playing. He cannot make a tackle, continue blocking or running a route, for example. If he continues prolonged participation without a helmet, he will be whistled for a 15-yard penalty.

With less than 1 minute remaining in either half, if the ball carrier's helmet comes off, and that is the only reason the play is being whistled dead, there is also a 10-second runoff. If a team has a timeout remaining, the coach can elect to use the timeout instead of running 10 seconds off the clock. But the player must still leave the field for one play, unless his helmet comes off as the result of a foul."

Ok so I am on my Goal line the OP is about to get the winning TD with >10 seconds on the clock, I can remove my helmet, have the play wissled dead and drain 10 seconds for the win?????

That's almost correct. *Shrug* I'm apparently wrong.

Last edited:

Lol, how could you be the ball carrier on defense?

That's almost correct. The 10 second run-off is chosen by the opposing team.

The rule doesn't say that. That part applies only if the team with the ball has a timeout and chooses to use it to avoid the 10 second runoff.

One of the worst rules I have ever heared. Nothwestern had to take their QB out on a key 4th down in their game earlier. Ridicolus.

There ya go...point proven. Stupid rule.

What's the actual purpose of it anyway? What are they trying to prevent?

There ya go...point proven. Stupid rule.

What's the actual purpose of it anyway? What are they trying to prevent?

Head injuries/concussions. Probably to make sure players actually both A) size their helmets correctly and B) wear them correctly.

Granted, I'm not sure we needed this rule to make it happen.

Head injuries/concussions. Probably to make sure players actually both A) size their helmets correctly and B) wear them correctly.

Granted, I'm not sure we needed this rule to make it happen.

I dont see how it will prevent a player from injury or concussion...by sitting him out the following play?

I can see it cleaning up proper equipment fitting and use in the long term because it will put pressure on the equipment managers and players to pay more attention.

In last nights game, not sure when...But one of NC ST's OL's helmet came off when he went low on one of our guys.. Even though he was on the ground w/ helmet off, he still tried to keep Gordon (I Think)from getting to the QB. Should he have been flagged for 15 yards?

VN Store

Back