Why Orange?

n_huffhines

What's it gonna cost?
So I've heard a story, and I'm trying to find out if it's true or not. My online research only yielded a story about orange being selected because of the hue of the flowers on the hill.

The story I would like to confirm/disprove has to do with the Irish. The Irish flag has green and orange, with the green representing catholics, and the orange representing protestants. The orange was favored by the protestant contingency in TN, thus the school colors. Anybody else heard that?

Reactions: 1 person
Interesting . . . First time I've ever heard that. Only story I've e ER heard is the one about the flowers on the Hill.

Reactions: 8 people
So I've heard a story, and I'm trying to find out if it's true or not. My online research only yielded a story about orange being selected because of the hue of the flowers on the hill.

The story I would like to confirm/disprove has to do with the Irish. The Irish flag has green and orange, with the green representing catholics, and the orange representing protestants. The orange was favored by the protestant contingency in TN, thus the school colors. Anybody else heard that?

This is what I've always been led to believe.

Reactions: 1 person

Flowers accurate. Flag, not so much.

Reactions: 6 people
It's from the flowers on the hill.. We've gone over this a few times here.

The color of the flowers on the hill, primarily. As a secondary reason, most likely because it is the MOST AWESOME COLOR ON THE PLANET!!!

Reactions: 4 people
No, no. The thread originator is correct. Knoxville, TN has long been known for it's support of the the Protestant movement. Until recently campus was a safe haven for the North Ireland Army as they fought against the IRA. From a really, really, really safe distance.

;)

Reactions: 2 people
I tried the Irish orange story on fenianvol once and was strongly rebuked. Don't know if he's still around?

Knoxville, TN has long been known for it's support of the the Protestant movement. Until recently campus was a safe haven for the North Ireland Army as they fought against the IRA.

We're currently undergoing The Troubles.

At Freshman Orientation a few weeks ago, they told the story of orange and white being selected as the school colors. The way they told it, "Charles Moore selected the colors from the daisies that grew on the Hill.

HOWEVER...Charles Moore was colorblind. The flowers were yellow and white."

Flowers. Its distinctive. Too many red/maroon/cromsony/scarlet/burgundy colors out there, especially in the SEC. I always found it funny when expansion was discussed so many of the proposed schools fit that reddish mold. Thanks Mizzou for bringing diveristy...kind of.

[QUOTE the MOST AWESOME COLOR ON THE PLANET!!![/QUOTE]

THIS!! I DONT CARE ABOUT WHY I'm GLAD IT IS. JUST LIKE OUR NICKNAME. IT IS AN ORIGINAL ...GOVOLS!!

Only on the internet like a million times,gosh~~

8760_nd007.jpg

VN Store

Back