BCS 4 game playoff appears to be coming

NEO

Eat at Joe's
Which leads me to 2 questions:

1) If this happens will the Championship always stay in the SEC? It appears we would almost always have two teams in the playoff games or one very, very strong team.

2) If question A happens and the SEC continues to win the BCS championship every year would this cause a major change in conference structures? Or is this 4 game playoff already laying the ground work for 4 large conferences (ala NFL) with the conference winner being placed into the 4 game playoff.

Which leads me to 2 questions:

1) If this happens will the Championship always stay in the SEC? It appears we would almost always have two teams in the playoff games or one very, very strong team.

2) If question A happens and the SEC continues to win the BCS championship every year would this cause a major change in conference structures? Or is this 4 game playoff already laying the ground work for 4 large conferences (ala NFL) with the conference winner being placed into the 4 game playoff.

Good question. Mississippi River is the dividing line east and west. Mason Dixon line for north and south? Four conferences. Northeast, Southeast, Northwest and Southwest? :unsure:

Big 12, WAC, and PAC 12 would form their mega conference and SEC, Big Ten and ACC would form theirs. Top 4 teams from each conference compete in an 8 team playoff. East Coast vs West Coast. The conference names would be Tupac and B.I.G.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Too many teams to have 4 divisions. Whichever division sec is in would whoop everybody. I like the idea of playoffs but HATE the idea of 4 giant conferences. I say 4 team playoff and yes I bet there would always be 1 or 2 sec teams in there

the meeting for this will happen in late june. no one knows what is going to happen. all the conference presidents will be there to discuss. according to css sports last night, barnhart said 3 possibilies will voted on. the most likely is a 4 team playoff with the best four playing 2 games and then a one game playoff. i don't know yet how they will determine those, and i guess that will be discussed. this will start with the 2014 season, so no need to look forward to anything for 2 1/2 years.

I love the SEC but to think they would always win is crazy - TX with Vince Young and some of those USC teams come to mind as being able to compete with elite SEC teams

they would win a higher percentage than they have over the last 25 years which sounds crazy but they wouldnt win em all

Big 12, WAC, and PAC 12 would form their mega conference and SEC, Big Ten and ACC would form theirs. Top 4 teams from each conference compete in an 8 team playoff. East Coast vs West Coast. The conference names would be Tupac and B.I.G.

North and South could be called Yank and Reb.

Reactions: 2 people
Good question. Mississippi River is the dividing line east and west. Mason Dixon line for north and south? Four conferences. Northeast, Southeast, Northwest and Southwest? :unsure:

Could just go North, South, East, and West and not quite use that line. That way SEC teams (as of now) could stay together (i.e. A&M and Arky, Mizzou stay add Texas and the Florida/Carolina teams), Cal/Wash/Oregon/Utah etc in west. In agreement with other though. Don't think it will go to 4 conferences quite yet (too big or would have to leave out too many schools leading to legal action, unless complete break away from NCAA)

To think the sec will continue to win every single championship is laughable, we are the best but to win year after year will not happen.

id rather have the +1. it would at least preserve a little bit of bowl importance.

the 2 semi-final games are maybe going to be incorporated into the bowl system, and then the final would be at different sites that would be bid on year to year.

the 2 semi-final games are maybe going to be incorporated into the bowl system, and then the final would be at different sites that would be bid on year to year.

i would be for that. those 2 bowl games would be HUGE. they could be played in late December and Jan 1 be reserved for the other bowl games, which would keep interest going in those games. you play 2 playoff bowls on Jan 1, the other games might as well be televised scrimmages.

i would be for that. those 2 bowl games would be HUGE. they could be played in late December and Jan 1 be reserved for the other bowl games, which would keep interest going in those games. you play 2 playoff bowls on Jan 1, the other games might as well be televised scrimmages.

that would actually make for a lot of good football

could break down to 4 16-team conferences and form a new super division that would compete for NC and leave the rest out in the cold.

could also see those 64 teams pulling out of NCAA if forced

I wouldn't mind winning the first playoff just like we did the first BCS trophy.

Who's with me?! :unsure:

Reactions: 2 people
I like the 4 team playoff only if it mandates a #1 vs.#4 and a #2 vs.#3 ranked structure. I would hate for them to place the teams in the 4 team bracket by conference because the Big 10 would want SEC vs. SEC in the first round. I think the best way is the 1vs.4 & 2vs.3. For example, in 2011:

#1 LSU vs. #4 Stanford and then #2 Alabama vs. #3 Oklahoma State

That would be a pretty cool system imo.

Also I like the neutral site idea. For example,

#1 LSU vs #4 Stanford in Glendale, AZ

#2 Alabama vs. #3 Oklahoma State in Miami, FL

#1 LSU vs. #2 Alabama in New Orleans, LA

I like the 4 team playoff only if it mandates a #1 vs.#4 and a #2 vs.#3 ranked structure. I would hate for them to place the teams in the 4 team bracket by conference because the Big 10 would want SEC vs. SEC in the first round. I think the best way is the 1vs.4 & 2vs.3. For example, in 2011:

#1 LSU vs. #4 Stanford and then #2 Alabama vs. #3 Oklahoma State

That would be a pretty cool system imo.

And then we would have had LSU vs. Alabama in the National Championship regardless.

How much would people ***** if the SEC East and SEC West champ played 3 times in one season. It could happen very easily.

VN Store

Back