A writers thoughts on the Tennessee/Florida match up.

voldawgforever

"It's easier to think about NC State in terms of how bad it would be if we lost. Not here. I don't have to imagine what it feels like to lose to these guys, I know. It's been eight years. But I can imagine an awful lot about how great it would be to beat the Gators. I don't care what their record was last year. I don't even really care if they lose to Texas A&M the week before. If Derek Dooley beats Florida in Neyland Stadium on September 15, his job security will go up astronomically. We would celebrate this win in ways that would stay with us if we lost to Georgia, Alabama, or South Carolina. And man, you put this one together with NC State? If Dooley starts 3-0 (which becomes 4-0 over Akron), I think he's home free in 2012. For everything that matters for Tennessee and for Dooley, this is the one that will mean the most. And in the SEC East, I wouldn't have it any other way."

Thoughts? Is this the most important regular season game? Which game is most important?

Reactions: 4 people
It's a bigger game for Muschamp, especially if we lose to Texas A&M the week before.

That said, Dooley can lose to UF and still have a successful season. The East title doesn't go through Gainesville this season.

It's the UK losses that will get him fired.

Reactions: 10 people
It's a bigger game for Muschamp, especially if we lose to Texas A&M the week before.

That said, Dooley can lose to UF and still have a successful season. The East title doesn't go through Gainesville this season.

I agree...The East title will depend on GA...DD doesnt win 7...DD doesnt have a job at UT next year

Reactions: 1 person
Florida will be the first big test for him this year. In order to keep the momentum going in the right direction (assuming we won the first games) he needs to win against Florida. If, for some reason we lose to NC St. then the Florids game becomes a must win or the season could implode right out of the gate.

Florida will be the first big test for him this year. In order to keep the momentum going in the right direction (assuming we won the first games) he needs to win against Florida. If, for some reason we lose to NC St. then the Florids game becomes a must win or the season could implode right out of the gate.

I agree. Can you imagine the fanbase after a 1-2 start?

No, he can't. If he loses to UF, which isn't as good as either UGA or USCe this year, it doesn't bode well for his employment status.

His teams also have the unique ability to give up when things get rough. A loss to UF puts them behind in the East race out of the gate.

The fanbase will be on suicide watch if we lose to NC St

This. The importance of this game in regards to the confidence of the team and the overall psyche of the fan base cannot be understated. The MOST important game of Dooleys tenure IMO.

Reactions: 2 people
"Home free in 2012"? You must be crazy! He better beat some good teams and go to a decent bowl, or he should be fired. Dooley hasn't done anything so far, and he probably won't this year. TN needs to put up some big bucks and get a winning coach.

No, he can't. If he loses to UF, which isn't as good as either UGA or USCe this year, it doesn't bode well for his employment status.

His teams also have the unique ability to give up when things get rough. A loss to UF puts them behind in the East race out of the gate.

Yes, he can -- as been proven by the adequate responses illustrating that the East doesn't go through Gainesville this year.

The Florida match-up this year is so important for DD because its the best shot to beat the Gators they've had in years, and may be the best they have moving forward for awhile.

The Florida match-up this year is so important for DD because its the best shot to beat the Gators they've had in years, and may be the best they have moving forward for awhile.

I agree with the first part, but our future is on shaky ground depending on how quickly Muschamp can make chicken salad out of the chicken $h!t Meyer left on the offensive side of the ball.

Muschamp gets one more season after 2012 to make things right, otherwise he's gone...fair or not. Losing two in a row to UGA will place him squarely on the hot seat by early November.

That has nothing to do with it and you act like UF is going to be good under coach chump. :blink:

Nice write up, but Bama is our Rival, and it would be a much bigger win

"It's easier to think about NC State in terms of how bad it would be if we lost. Not here. I don't have to imagine what it feels like to lose to these guys, I know. It's been eight years. But I can imagine an awful lot about how great it would be to beat the Gators. I don't care what their record was last year. I don't even really care if they lose to Texas A&M the week before. If Derek Dooley beats Florida in Neyland Stadium on September 15, his job security will go up astronomically. We would celebrate this win in ways that would stay with us if we lost to Georgia, Alabama, or South Carolina. And man, you put this one together with NC State? If Dooley starts 3-0 (which becomes 4-0 over Akron), I think he's home free in 2012. For everything that matters for Tennessee and for Dooley, this is the one that will mean the most. And in the SEC East, I wouldn't have it any other way."

Thoughts? Is this the most important regular season game? Which game is most important?

"Home free in 2012"? You must be crazy! He better beat some good teams and go to a decent bowl, or he should be fired. Dooley hasn't done anything so far, and he probably won't this year. TN needs to put up some big bucks and get a winning coach.

I agree if he falters. U get what u pay for

I think they are similar situations with DD being a year ahead in the game (which can be good or bad depending). I think that makes it more important to Dooley. He has more to gain by winning IMO. Short of a disaster WM has another year, DD has to make some hay this year.

Only agree if the margin is big. A close win will not help that much. A loss would be more negative than a close win would be positive. We'd all be glad to have a win... but margin matters for his job situation.

UF has bigger, faster and more highly skilled athletes at every spot except QB and WR. Period. Now, having the better QB and passing game is certainly a plus. But if UT can't run the ball vs UF again this year (negative 9 yards rushing last year), it won't matter. Certainly we have good reason to believe UF will not be a great offensive team. They do have the athletes to be solid, maybe even a little better than solid. On defense however, they have the players to be a dominating squad. The difference in talent between UF's defensive players and UT's is much more than the average UT fan realizes. UF is loaded on D with top of the shelf talent at every position and 2-3 deep to boot. Scoring vs UF this years will not be easy. UT will need to find a running game to keep the air attack successful.

Don't forget, UF was bad last year but got up on UT 30-7 before they went prevent in the 4th. Bray passed for just 54% in that game and threw 2 picks. He had to attempt 48 passes. If he has to attempt 48 passes agin this year it means UT probably lost.

Nice write up, but Bama is our Rival, and it would be a much bigger win

I agree it would be a bigger win. But would it be a more important win? I think the Florida game is a more important win for a few reasons. Tennessee is probably expected to compete with Florida this year, maybe not so much with Alabama. Also, the Florida game is the first SEC game for Tennessee, and sets the tone for the rest of the year. This team needs a huge moral boost to kick off the season. JMO

You guys are WAY too obsessed with Florida.................but let's say Dooley beats Florida, but then loses to UGA, USC East, Bama, and Miss. State.........he loses that one game along the way he shouldn't.

Florida loses to UT, loses to LSU, and splits with UGA/USC and wins the East with 3 losses. You think Florida fans will say "yeah, but Muschamp lost to Tennessee" or would they be happy going to Atlanta?

I'd love to know how many of your fans would take a win over Florida over going to Atlanta. If he beats Florida, but doesn't win the East, it means nothing.

UF has bigger, faster and more highly skilled athletes at every spot except QB and WR. Period.
No they don't. Period.

If Dooley can coach then UT should beat UF.

Before Hunter went down, UF was playing soft already to avoid giving up chunks... so the prevent argument doesn't quite hold.

Neither team has a proven RB coming back but athletically UT's first two are easily on par with UF's first two. UT was a terrible rushing team last year... but UF wasn't good by any stretch then lost their top two rushers.

"Athletically" and size wise UT's OL is very comparable. UT's pass pro was better than UF's. UF's run game was largely Demps and Rainey outrunning everyone to the corner. Not sure how that proves UF's OL to be better.

UF has a better front 7 on D athletically but not by a wide margin.... and fortunately they won't play each other. UF has to face a UT O that should be explosive and able to stretch the field both vertially and laterally.

UT's secondary is an enigma. But it is worthy to note that UT was 5th in the SEC in passing D vs the SEC. UF was 8th- and didn't even play Arkansas.

Don't forget, UF was bad last year but got up on UT 30-7 before they went prevent in the 4th. Bray passed for just 54% in that game and threw 2 picks. He had to attempt 48 passes. If he has to attempt 48 passes agin this year it means UT probably lost.

Don't forget that the whole team including the coaches went into shock when JH went down. Their whole gameplan went down the tubes in less than a second.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back