How good will NC State be?

WA_Vol

ESPN had them ranked 24th in their EARLY top 25 but since dropped them but here is what they had to say about them: College football's Way-Too-Early 2012 Top 25 - ESPN

24. NC State Wolfpack: After a 2-3 start, in which Wolfpack coach Tom O'Brien was criticized for turning quarterback Russell Wilson loose, NC State rallied to win six of its last eight games, including a 31-24 victory over Louisville in the Belk Bowl. Quarterback Mike Glennon ended up being a more-than-capable replacement for Wilson, throwing for 3,054 yards with 31 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. He'll be without three of his top four receivers in 2012, with wideouts T.J. Graham and Jay Smith and tight end George Bryan each departing. Seven defensive starters are expected back, but the Pack will have to rebuild the defensive line and linebacker corps. The secondary should return intact, including ball-hawking cornerback David Amerson. NC State opens the '12 season against Tennessee in one of the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game matchups and plays nonconference games against Connecticut (road) and FCS foes South Alabama (home) and The Citadel (home).

They since fell out of their latest poll: USC Trojans earn top spot in latest 2012 look - ESPN

Reactions: 1 person
They will be better than people on this board think.

BUT, I think they have potential to be ranked because of their schedule. They have a shot at winning their division, IMO

They will be decent simply because Tom O'brien is a darn good football coach, but talent wise the match up with TN should be heavily in UT's favor.

Should be a fun game. I think we have more talent overall, but it sounds like some of our strengths and weaknesses are similar to theirs. They have a very good quarterback (Glennon). They have a decent O-Line (ours should be better). They have quality running backs, though no real standouts (similar to us, though they have more experience and production there in the recent past). On offense, I think we clearly beat them in terms of our TEs and wide receivers.

Defensively, it sounds like they have an experienced secondary, with some real standouts among that group (they probably have an edge here). However, they have lost a bunch of linebackers and have a lot of question marks heading into the summer in that group as well as on their D-Line (similar to us in terms of the D-Line). While we don't have much depth at linebacker, I think I'd take the four we expect to start against just about anybody, and especially in comparison to NC State (Lathers, Maggitt, Johnson and J. Smith). We are arguably at worst even and overall probably ahead of them at D-Line, especially if McCullers is in game-day shape when he gets here.

Depth-wise, I think we are stronger, especially on the O-Line.

Anyway - that's my take from what I've read. Others know more than I, I'm sure.

I think it'll be a competitive game, but we should wear them down and win in the end. In fact, while there's a chance it could be close, I think we'll blow them out by the time it's all said and done. I think people are going to learn that we actually have a really good team this year (not great or elite, but really good).

Reactions: 9 people
Been saying all along that this game is a toss up.....mainly because of the uncertainty that comes with a totally new defensive scheme in the first game of the year on aneutral field against a pretty good offense.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 1 person
Should be a good game. UT should win but I'm worried because we have Dooley. He hasn't proved he's a good game day coach

Reactions: 3 people
Should be a fun game. I think we have more talent overall, but it sounds like some of our strengths and weaknesses are similar to theirs. They have a very good quarterback (Glennon). They have a decent O-Line (ours should be better). They have quality running backs, though no real standouts (similar to us, though they have more experience and production there in the recent past). On offense, I think we clearly beat them in terms of our TEs and wide receivers.

Defensively, it sounds like they have an experienced secondary, with some real standouts among that group (they probably have an edge here). However, they have lost a bunch of linebackers and have a lot of question marks heading into the summer in that group as well as on their D-Line (similar to us in terms of the D-Line). While we don't have much depth at linebacker, I think I'd take the four we expect to start against just about anybody, and especially in comparison to NC State (Lathers, Maggitt, Johnson and J. Smith). We are arguably at worst even and overall probably ahead of them at D-Line, especially if McCullers is in game-day shape when he gets here.

Depth-wise, I think we are stronger, especially on the O-Line.

Anyway - that's my take from what I've read. Others know more than I, I'm sure.

I think it'll be a competitive game, but we should wear them down and win in the end. In fact, while there's a chance it could be close, I think we'll blow them out by the time it's all said and done. I think people are going to learn that we actually have a really good team this year (not great or elite, but really good).

Nice breakdown, you seem to have a pretty good grasp on them (I guess, I know nothing about them). How do you see the head-to-head match-ups? i.e. our OL v their DL, their OL v our DL, etc....TIA!

We will need to watch out for David Amerson. He is a beast. Had a ton of picks last year

The teams will be even giving us a close game, maybe a slight favor to TN because of the QB/WR's. Should be close and in the end TN wins it.

IMO CDD will lose some credibility if NCST blows away TN

"we will wear them down". There is no evidence that we can wear down the sisters of the poor. I think we squeek by with overall talent but that first team Off. line I saw in the O&W game will not be the difference maker. They have the coaching advantage O'Brien vs Dooley, we just have at the end of the day more weapons. (but it won't be on the ground)

I've said before and still believe if we are healthy, this will be like the Cincy game. We have better overall talent our run game will be much better imo and this team will be out to prove something. With Rogers, Hunter and Patterson, I just dont see NCST defense being able to stop us and I dont think their offense is good enough to keep up. We are deeper than we've been in years and will finally be able to rotate guys in and out and I think we will wear them down. This is all my opinion and could be wrong but I dont believe I am. Just like the ones that believe it will be close, its your opinion and you may be right or you may be wrong. No matter whos right or wrong, I am ready for this damn game to get here!! V,B

Reactions: 7 people
I've said before and still believe if we are healthy, this will be like the Cincy game. We have better overall talent our run game will be much better imo and this team will be out to prove something. With Rogers, Hunter and Patterson, I just dont see NCST defense being able to stop us and I dont think their offense is good enough to keep up. We are deeper than we've been in years and will finally be able to rotate guys in and out and I think we will wear them down. This is all my opinion and could be wrong but I dont believe I am. Just like the ones that believe it will be close, its your opinion and you may be right or you may be wrong. No matter whos right or wrong, I am ready for this damn game to get here!! V,B

Unlikely

Watched their spring game. they do not have a good running game. They have no depth at WR. And they are not very talented in LB. They are soild at QB and DB.

With a healthy Rogers, Hunter and Bray in the game this offense is on another level. Add Patterson to that, Rivera, Cam and Downs are all SEC caliber TE's and a better run game, this offense is gonna be hard to stop. I see us putting up a lot of points in this game. I also see our D being much better and dont believe NCST can keep up. My early prediction is 42-20.

Reactions: 3 people
With a healthy Rogers, Hunter and Bray in the game this offense is on another level. Add Patterson to that, Rivera, Cam and Downs are all SEC caliber TE's and a better run game, this offense is gonna be hard to stop. I see us putting up a lot of points in this game. I also see our D being much better and dont believe NCST can keep up. My early prediction is 42-20.

22 pt win? Really? O-line and run games are completely unproven, C-Pat is also an unknown, we really don't know if Bray is vastly improved in his decision making, and our kicking is so bad we'd be better off going for 2 all year. I'd say somewhere in the 30-27 range. It could go either way.

This game will be very similar to the two UCLA games we played a couple years back. UT fans will underestimate how good NC state is and think that we are better than them. This game will end up being close, but right now I feel like we have the edge.

22 pt win? Really? O-line and run games are completely unproven, C-Pat is also an unknown, we really don't know if Bray is vastly improved in his decision making, and our kicking is so bad we'd be better off going for 2 all year. I'd say somewhere in the 30-27 range. It could go either way.

If Bray has proven anything, its that you can't look at his scrimmage and practice highlights (or lowlights) and apply it to a real game.

In games, Bray's decision making, while not perfect, has typically been very good.

UT O-line is unproven in the running game only, and it will be matched up against a very unproven D-line. If NCST's D-line can't put pressure on Bray...he will pick them apart.

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back