2821 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on What Buck Fitzgerald said Page 39. within the forum Tennessee Vols Football. ...

Go Back   VolNation > >

Old 04-19-2012, 09:41 PM   #571
 zjcvols 
GROWN ASS MAN

What Buck Fitzgerald said What Buck Fitzgerald said What Buck Fitzgerald said
What Buck Fitzgerald said What Buck Fitzgerald said What Buck Fitzgerald said What Buck Fitzgerald said What Buck Fitzgerald said What Buck Fitzgerald said What Buck Fitzgerald said What Buck Fitzgerald said What Buck Fitzgerald said
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacavolus View Post
-we didn't bring in 4 sr badass OL to block during the game?
-we didn't put Trent Richardson in the backfield instead of Poole?
-we didn't throw it to #11 on crutches
-our backup qb's couldn't get it done with no blocking, no running back and Z Rogers as the only open man?

And btw, I really haven't liked Chaney and some of his game plans anyway, but I would like to know what you expected him to do against Ga with worley/simms finishing the game, poole in the backfield, Stone snapping snaps on the ground, d rogers getting doubled and z rogers and true freshmen on the outside. What adjustments does he make. We were outmanned and outgunned, which is why we couldn't put it in the endzone.
1) Simms didn't come in till late in the 4th and actually led us to a touchdown in the GA game.

2) Who decided to start Stone at center and completely change him? The coaching staff.

3) Um, isn't the coaching staff suppose to figure out how to get not only D. Rogers doubled, but the other wideouts open, since, ya know, he's doubled?
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-19-2012, 09:48 PM   #572
sjt18

What Buck Fitzgerald said What Buck Fitzgerald said What Buck Fitzgerald said What Buck Fitzgerald said What Buck Fitzgerald said What Buck Fitzgerald said What Buck Fitzgerald said What Buck Fitzgerald said What Buck Fitzgerald said
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjcvols View Post
1) Simms didn't come in till late in the 4th and actually led us to a touchdown in the GA game.
Simms as a #2 is why the staff wasted a RS for Worley. He flat out stinks. He may be the greatest guy in the world but he was a terrible QB.

Quote:
2) Who decided to start Stone at center and completely change him? The coaching staff.
Probably a mistake but was it a chance worth taking to get your best 5 on the field and your smartest guy at C?

Quote:
3) Um, isn't the coaching staff suppose to figure out how to get not only D. Rogers doubled, but the other wideouts open, since, ya know, he's doubled?
Pretty sure the WR coach was shown the door.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-19-2012, 10:22 PM   #573
King Webbsticles
MNV®

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjt18 View Post
Simms as a #2 is why the staff wasted a RS for Worley. He flat out stinks. He may be the greatest guy in the world but he was a terrible QB.

Probably a mistake but was it a chance worth taking to get your best 5 on the field and your smartest guy at C?

Pretty sure the WR coach was shown the door.
Again, much like the blocking scheme change, it was completely un-needed. Change it because the ball spun a different direction? Come on!
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-20-2012, 07:02 AM   #574
Orange_Crush
Trying to be nicer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Webbsticles View Post
Of course it is important.

So you think all of our OL forgot how to run a man blocking scheme because it wasn't the offensive gameplan?

You think Poole forgot how to run behind an OL that is blocking man-to-man?

Or Bray forgot how to turn around and hand a ball off to a RB behind an OL that is blocking differently?
No. My point is that the change is not as easy to do mid-season as you seem to think. A LOT in football depends, not just on familiarity, but on timing, trust that your teammates will cover their assignments, etc... This is the kind of thing bult over the off-season.

And as much as you would like to minimize it, the blocking scheme effects everything on the offense, including rushing style/timing, routes, etc...

It would have been a MAJOR change, and one which would have been a guaranteed, abject failure if tried mid-season.

Quote:
Maybe I'm just missing this somehow, but how was our OL considered physically weak? They were fine the year before, not great, but serviceable.

In changing back to running style, it shouldn't take that much time. A little, sure, but they didn't really have to offensively prepare for Buffalo. We could have done anything and beaten them. Then add to that, two more weeks of preparation just to change to a blocking style to one that everyone knows.
I'm honestly not trying to be a DB here. I promise. But...

Have you ever played organized football? Seriously. I have formed the opinion from reading your most recent posts that you just have no understanding of the interrelationships of the blocking scheme with how the running backs and wide receivers play in the offense, nor the significant impact that pre-season drills have on how well an offense runs its schemes at game time.

If I am wrong about your familiarity with organized football, I apologize in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjcvols View Post

King Webb... Would you like to take this one? Having admitted that you're at a loss for what they should have changed; they just should have changed something... Will you accuse or defend them for changing something.

Quote:
Again, much like the blocking scheme change, it was completely un-needed. Change it because the ball spun a different direction? Come on!
I love the quotes like the one immediately above. Folks crucify our staff for attempting a (over-risky?) change in the offseason and refer to it as "completely unneeded", while also crucifying the staff for their win/loss record-- not just last year but the year before.

Their argument is that results from year-before-last were unacceptable, while also making the argument that the blocking scheme change was "unneeded".

Some (Webb) also make the argument that they don't know what needed to be changed with the offense last year, but they should have changed something, while also claiming that a change made at center was "unnecessary".

This is why I love Volnation. It's a laugh a minute.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #575
VolinDawgland

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGlen View Post
Is it just me or was there not a lot of difference in Chaney's gameplan than CPF's without CDC? I mean straight forward and unimaginative? I know we were down personnel but counters, traps, slants, hurry up offense.....these are all things that I just didn't see a lot of last year after JH went down. Some things like that could have helped move the ball. Just trying to pound it straight ahead or the same ole off tackle plays were easily defended.
Well when you're down to a true Frosh QB and a Snr QB who sucks out loud, it kind of limits your OC's options to be creative.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-20-2012, 10:11 AM   #576
King Webbsticles
MNV®

We are just going to have to agree to disagree on the whole changing the run blocking thing. I'm understating the importance of timing and you are exaggerating it. We'll never find a middle ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange_Crush View Post
King Webb... Would you like to take this one? Having admitted that you're at a loss for what they should have changed; they just should have changed something... Will you accuse or defend them for changing something.
I already have. They took something that was working fine, and changed it because the ball was spinning the wrong direction.

Quote:
I love the quotes like the one immediately above. Folks crucify our staff for attempting a (over-risky?) change in the offseason and refer to it as "completely unneeded", while also crucifying the staff for their win/loss record-- not just last year but the year before.
The only criticism of W/L record is from last season, when the staff seemed fine to trot out the same terrible offense for 75% of the season without adjusting to anything. Nobody, not even "negavols", crucify the staff on the first season (other than the LSU gaffe) .

Quote:
Their argument is that results from year-before-last were unacceptable, while also making the argument that the blocking scheme change was "unneeded".

Some (Webb) also make the argument that they don't know what needed to be changed with the offense last year, but they should have changed something, while also claiming that a change made at center was "unnecessary".
But the offense wasn't a problem. You seem to have trouble in connecting that when things work, you don't need to change them just for the hell of it. The offense that Bray was running, when he took over two years ago, worked fine, and it was unneeded to change the offense. In that process, we lost any threat of a running game while we put maybe another TD on the board, while healthy. But should someone get hurt, we don't have a rushing attack to fall back on.

You are trying to compare things that aren't similar, at all.

Offense works fine = Let's change it and risk losing the rushing game

Stone snaps fine LH = Let's change him to RH, destroy all confidence, and hurt the team in the process just because the ball spun the wrong direction.

Offense loses best player and no rushing attack = Let's do absolutely nothing. Zack Rogers can take over for JH and all will be fine.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #577
zidanefan
Senior Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskie Volum View Post
So what u r saying here is what I've been saying. I've said if we we win 7 games but are competitive in the games we r said to lose bama, fl, ugh, uscjr, then he should be fine. Just IMHO...

I agree with tNGlen when saying that none of us knows what the set goals between hart and cdd.
I was explaining myself really poorly. I don't think 7 will be enough. I made that initial statement like I know what Hart's got set up with Dooley, and obviously that's not true. It's all speculation. But, I do believe there have been some ultimatums.

I think if we go 8-4, and lose close to AL, FL, GA, SC I mentioned, Dooley will probably stick around, even though it won't feel like much of an accomplishment.

If we eek out wins against Mizzou, Vandy, Miss St, and KY, and get blown out by AL and any of FL, GA, SC, I don't think Hart will keep him around.

Just my opinion...
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-23-2012, 04:51 PM   #578
sjt18

Quote:
I don't understand it myself... someone seemed to think it was important.

If DD is a micromanager like some have suggested then I don't know what the reasoning was. If he was a delegator which seems to be consistent with other things I've seen in him then mismanagement of the OL overall is probably why Hiestand left.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-23-2012, 05:35 PM   #579
King Webbsticles
MNV®

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjt18 View Post
I don't understand it myself... someone seemed to think it was important.

If DD is a micromanager like some have suggested then I don't know what the reasoning was. If he was a delegator which seems to be consistent with other things I've seen in him then mismanagement of the OL overall is probably why Hiestand left.
I'm surprised that Palardy hasn't been told to switch to kicking right footed.

Couldn't make him worse.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-23-2012, 05:39 PM   #580
DjCrenshaw

What Buck Fitzgerald said What Buck Fitzgerald said What Buck Fitzgerald said What Buck Fitzgerald said What Buck Fitzgerald said What Buck Fitzgerald said What Buck Fitzgerald said What Buck Fitzgerald said
Quote:
I'm surprised that Palardy hasn't been told to switch to kicking right footed.

Couldn't make him worse.
Reply With Quote TOP