3704 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Breaking News concerning First Game Page 13. within the forum Tennessee Vols Football. Originally Posted by SmokeySteve Man, can't we all just get along. NC State is not a bad team and we ...

Go Back   VolNation > Tennessee Vols Forums > Tennessee Vols Football

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2012, 08:28 AM   #181 (permalink)
VFL 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeySteve View Post
Man, can't we all just get along.

NC State is not a bad team and we would be very foolish to take them lightly. That being said, I expect us to win and will be there in my Orange cheering for UT. I see no need to belittle the Wolfpack. My dad went there and my first memories of college football were cheering on the Pack. Good people and a good university. I wish them well except against us.

Don't understand all this talk bout the ACC being so wimpy. Last bowl games against ACC:
Maryland
Clemson
Va Tech
UNC

That makes us 0-4. Seem to remember it was Va in the Sugar Bowl back in the '90's last time we beat an ACC team in a bowl. If we want to belittle a conference pick on the Big Ten. At least we've beaten them in a bowl recently.

Hopefully Dooley will turn it around and the ACC will be like the Big Ten for us again, starting Aug 31.
Quit bringing facts into this discussion. Anyone who doesn't think NC State is third rate (and we aren't) is just a troll!
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-12-2012, 08:28 AM   #182 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange_Crush View Post
I would rather be in the SEC. Oh, wait... We are.

I would think an objective review of that fact alone would shed some light on "record-comparisons" when judging between the quality of two teams... Especialy when both teams played a common opponent with radically different results.

^^^Exactly right^^^

The Cincy team we both played and the 2 totally different end results should speak volumes.

VFL...GBO!!!
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-12-2012, 08:28 AM   #183 (permalink)
Trying to be nicer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by govols180 View Post
8-5 NC State team btw. ok so you are so full of yourself and have so much pride that you would rather not play in a bowl game than win one as NC State

We would rather take our lumps rebuilding in the most powerful conference in college football than lower our standards by selling out to easy schedules. To be the best, you have to beat the best. We have been the best before and will be again. By selling out to playing against the mediocre, you can brag about beating several mediocre teams.

You obviously have expressed what you would rather do as a program. UT's tradition proves that, despite the natural highs and lows, tradition is built upon the foundation of hard stone.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-12-2012, 08:31 AM   #184 (permalink)
VFL 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan&Volfan4life View Post
^^^Exactly right^^^

The Cincy team we both played and the 2 totally different end results should speak volumes.

VFL...GBO!!!
If youve followed any kind of competitive sport for longer than a year, you know that kind of comparison isn't exactly legit.

The truth is, if we had played NC State in a bowl game, we wouldn't have been favored.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-12-2012, 08:33 AM   #185 (permalink)
Trying to be nicer...

Quote:
This one

"I didn't say State was better once again...I said they had a better record and would rather go to a bowl game than stay at home."
That's called revision. He quoted what you already said.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-12-2012, 08:36 AM   #186 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfballs View Post
If youve followed any kind of competitive sport for longer than a year, you know that kind of comparison isn't exactly legit.

The truth is, if we had played NC State in a bowl game, we wouldn't have been favored.

That might have been true the way N C State was clicking their last 3 games.

They also weren't totally beaten down and worn out like our Vols were after having to face so many top ranked teams like we did.

I still expect our Vols to get the Win to start this season but the score could go either way by being a close game or we might get rolling and roll up the points on them.

VFL...GBO!!!

Last edited by Titan&Volfan4life; 04-12-2012 at 09:13 AM..
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-12-2012, 08:37 AM   #187 (permalink)
Trying to be nicer...

Quote:
If you read my previous comments I never said they are better dude. I just stated they had a better record. Read.

It's been quoted twice for you where you actually said they were better.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #188 (permalink)
@aVolForLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeasy View Post
I never realized how bad UT was. 2 losing seasons in a row. Only 38 consensus All-Americans compared to NC States 6. Only 6 national titles compared to there 0. Just a 69% win-lose ratio compared to their 51%. NC State has even been to more bowls. They have been to 26, but UT has only been to 49.

One really bad stat is that NC State has not had an 8+ loss season since 2006. UT's last 8 loss season was last never.

Oh and yes I am bored.....
And if we counted our national championships like Bama (meaning every time someone whispers the word championship in the state of TN or any surrounding state, UT gets a trophy) we would have 14...

For those that aren't good with math, yes that means we have 8 national championships that were awarded that we don't count, for a reason.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #189 (permalink)
@aVolForLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfballs View Post

Probably true, depending upon where the game was played, but that is all speculation. Say it was the music city bowl, I highly doubt NCSU would have been favored.

For further analysis see the UT v. Vandy or the KY v. UT game to see what weight being favored lends to the final outcome of the actual game.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #190 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daj2576 View Post
Probably true, depending upon where the game was played, but that is all speculation. Say it was the music city bowl, I highly doubt NCSU would have been favored.

For further analysis see the UT v. Vandy or the KY v. UT game to see what weight being favored lends to the final outcome of the actual game.
Or see last years opening game in the Ga. Dome, UGAly vs Boise. The pups hada home field advantage and were favored to win. Doesn't matter. I don't know how good NC State will or wont' be (I don't expect them to be good). But there's a reason the game is played.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #191 (permalink)

Quote:
Mustafa Greene NC State Starting Running Back charged with misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernilia today.

Will most likely at least miss the UT game. Has not been suspended yet but probably will.
great...we can use all the help we can get
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-13-2012, 01:55 PM   #192 (permalink)
VFL 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by daj2576 View Post

ok, but it would have been close.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #193 (permalink)
Stir Stick

Quote:
8-5 NC State team btw. ok so you are so full of yourself and have so much pride that you would rather not play in a bowl game than win one as NC State
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange_Crush View Post
We would rather take our lumps rebuilding in the most powerful conference in college football than lower our standards by selling out to easy schedules. To be the best, you have to beat the best. We have been the best before and will be again. By selling out to playing against the mediocre, you can brag about beating several mediocre teams.

You obviously have expressed what you would rather do as a program. UT's tradition proves that, despite the natural highs and lows, tradition is built upon the foundation of hard stone.
HEY HEY HEY, it's Friday afternoon numbers time....the SEC has filled 10 of the possible 28 BSC National Championship spots for a total of 36%. We have won every one that we have appeared in (but that makes LSU the only loser too - I need a beer). The ACC has appeared in 3, the first 3, all FSU for an 11% appearance rate with one win against the Big Least Champs. In essence the SEC has won 8 times as many BCS championships as the ACC, lost half as many, and appeared 3 times as often. I would say that pretty much makes the ACC irrelevant except for FSU a million years ago and that you can't spell BCS Championship Game without the SEC. So yes, I would rather play a brutal schedule in the SEC rather than a high school schedule in the ACC. Why don't you change your nickname to GoWolfPackTheVolsSuck? Quit using the excuse that NCS is YOUR school. Grow some and transfer to UT or just admit that you are an NCS fan through and through. Hey, I grew up a Bammer and they are still #2 in my books.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #194 (permalink)
All VOL !!!

Very well said, minus the bama talk.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 04-14-2012, 07:25 AM   #195 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan&Volfan4life View Post
That might have been true the way N C State was clicking their last 3 games.

They also weren't totally beaten down and worn out like our Vols were after having to face so many top ranked teams like we did.

I still expect our Vols to get the Win to start this season but the score could go either way by being a close game or we might get rolling and roll up the points on them.

VFL...GBO!!!
The Pack is very schizophrenic in their play. It is tough on anyone who pulls for them. I was in Carter-Finley for the season opener against Liberty and that looked AWFUL. A HS team could have beat them. I was also at the UT-Cinn game and minus the slow start for the D in the first half - we were much sharper. So if last year is any indication of early season play we will kill them.

But if you look at the Pack against Clemson or even UNC last year and it's a different story. If that Pack team shows up we will have our hands full.

Bottom line is NC State has enough talent and will not be intimidated. We have to bring our A game and hope they play like last year's opener.

We have to exorcise our own demons - forgive us our arrogance and hubris and PLEASE, deliver us from that team that took the field to play KY last year....AMEN!

GBO!
Reply With Quote TOP