Coaching style

jortfreeTN

I have a question about our coaches style, and no not the orange pants or black belt with brown shoes. Most coaches fall into one of two camps. They're either a disciplinarian, like a Belichick, or a players coach, more like Rex Ryan. What is Dooley's style?

I would assume he's more in the discipline camp, but there are the rumors of him siding with players over coaches. I know they are just rumors but where there's smoke... losing 6 assistants doesn't help his case either.

I don't see him as a players coach either with the way he calls out players and the rumors (I know just rumors again) of players not liking they way he coaches during practices. The lack of motivation late in the season isn't something you see when players are rallying behind a coach.

Not saying he has to be one or the other to be successful just curious of what VN thought.

IMHO, he wants to be a disciplinarian. But he needs to get more wins under his belt before he can really tighten down the screws on the ship. So for now, he is tight roping. But once he gets to winning, I think his style will be similar to Saban.

Reactions: 4 people
Right now he is neither. Hasn't earned it in wins and my own personal opinion is he wants to be a disciplinarian but seems he is hard to work for and hasn't earned the trust of his players. He is in a very hard place right now and if there is any thruth to the DaRick rumors not sure he will be around long enough to become either.

Reactions: 2 people
Right now he is neither. Hasn't earned it in wins and my own personal opinion is he wants to be a disciplinarian but seems he is hard to work for and hasn't earned the trust of his players. He is in a very hard place right now and if there is any thruth to the DaRick rumors not sure he will be around long enough to become either.

*tarooth

Oh thank GOODNESS! I thought you were going to bash the coaching staff again! Like the opposing team fans do!! Like a negavol would do! But instead, you umm... you....you umm... why don't you kick rocks dude? Sick of y

Reactions: 1 person
Let's just agree on a couple of things. Dooley's first year, we "lost" a couple we should have had in the W column. Wins against LSU in Baton Rouge and against Carolina would have had everyone feeling good with an 8-5 record. An injury filled season cut short a good start last year. Some deadwood coaches "left" after the season. WE have better coaches now, better players, more depth, yada yada. Let's let the season play out, root for the vols and THEN see where we stand.:dance2:

Reactions: 2 people
I don't know where exactly to post this, but I was watching a chick flick with my wife called Beneath the Blue, and the dad in the movie (actor David Keith) is wearing a Tennessee shirt that says "Fort Neyland 108,000 strong"... looked him up, he's a Knoxville native and graduate from UT... just thought it was pretty cool and wanted to share... Go Vols

I don't know where exactly to post this, but I was watching a chick flick with my wife called Beneath the Blue, and the dad in the movie (actor David Keith) is wearing a Tennessee shirt that says "Fort Neyland 108,000 strong"... looked him up, he's a Knoxville native and graduate from UT... just thought it was pretty cool and wanted to share... Go Vols

In all his movies and tv appearances he has some sort of TN gear or something around that represents UT.

... losing 6 assistants doesn't help his case either...

There is a difference in "losing" and REPLACING assistants. I submit that at least 5 (at least...) are upgrades. Using political rhetoric to spin an opinion and trying to make it "fact" doesn't make it one.

I think we will see a different Dooley this year. He has a more weapons and depth.

Plus he directs or produces a few movies.....in his movie The Curse......at the beginning it says....In a small town in tellico plains Tennessee.

Oh thank GOODNESS! I thought you were going to bash the coaching staff again! Like the opposing team fans do!! Like a negavol would do! But instead, you umm... you....you umm... why don't you kick rocks dude? Sick of y

well here's a news flash for you, I am just as sick of your butt kissing so I guess that makes us even. Only a young know it all would be so blind.

There is a difference in "losing" and REPLACING assistants. I submit that at least 5 (at least...) are upgrades. Using political rhetoric to spin an opinion and trying to make it "fact" doesn't make it one.

Wasn't trying to put a spin but if you want to make the distinction of losing a coach and replacing a coach I would say we lost 5 and are replacing 1. The difference is you replace a coach you let go, when a coach leaves you you lost him. Also I didn't say the new coaches weren't upgrades just pointing out that alsong side of the rumors of CDD choosing player's side over coach's you get the sense he is not a very discipline oriented coach.

VN Store

Back