New Teams in the SEC

FORDMAN

I saw an article today that said the SEC would go after Virginia Tech and Clemson next year. If this happens A&M and Missouri would move to the west and Virginia and Clemson would be in the east. I was just wondering if anyone has seen this.

I saw an article today that said the SEC would go after Virginia Tech and Clemson next year. If this happens A&M and Missouri would move to the west and Virginia and Clemson would be in the east. I was just wondering if anyone has seen this.

Nope didnt see it. I dont see it happening either though. Both teams from ACC and with their buyouts from There are substantial.

Virginia Tech is a possibility, but Clemson will not be added due to the coalition to keep in state rivals out. The members of the coalition are Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, and South Carolina. They have agreed to vote against adding FSU, Louisville, Georgia Tech, and Clemson.

tech also has a state rival that really helped them get into the ACC, when they joined. u v a would not allow this move. tech won't move anyway, knowing they would lose their creampuff schedule of the ACC, and move to a con where they would lose 4 or 5 games a year, easily.

Reactions: 1 person
Virginia Tech is a possibility, but Clemson will not be added due to the coalition to keep in state rivals out. The members of the coalition are Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, and South Carolina. They have agreed to vote against adding FSU, Louisville, Georgia Tech, and Clemson.

Va tech had to jump through hoops to move to the acc ,their not leaving. Why would they leave a 10 wins a year schedule to come to the meat grinder of the sec

Va Tech will not move to SEC (wish they would) and Clemson will not be voted in due to the coalitian to keep out teams in states we have teams now in. Nothing to see here folks, move along

i think we were all fine with a 12 team Sec so boo to a 16 team or 20 team league just think thats too many teams and you start to water down the product.Dont ruin a good thing Mike Slive even though you hate Tennessee.

The buy-out will NOT keep a school from switching if they want to. Like aTm said, this is a long-term decision. U's from the states of Virginia and North Carolina obviously make the most sense.

Ultimately I'd like to see us go back to 12. If nothing else kick Mizzou out, I loath that school and don't think they deserve to be in the SEC from a football perspective.

I didn't really want a 14 team conference. But neither of those teams would end up in the SEC

The buy-out will NOT keep a school from switching if they want to. Like aTm said, this is a long-term decision. U's from the states of Virginia and North Carolina obviously make the most sense.

Ultimately I'd like to see us go back to 12. If nothing else kick Mizzou out, I loath that school and don't think they deserve to be in the SEC from a football perspective.

I don't think Missouri is a great football school but they have certainly been better over the last 6-8 years than teams like Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Miss. State, Kentucky.....and yes Tennessee. Heck, MU has won ten games or more 3 out of the past 5 years in football. They actually have been better in both football and basketball than A&M as well, so your argument is without merit. To be clear, I am no fan of MU even though I now live in the area. I hope UT whips the fool out of them consistently in both football and basketball, but they are clearly a middle of the road school for the SEC right now, even before they have the competitive advantage of recruiting based on conference rep.

I'm not a fan of this at all - I guess I'm too much of a traditionalist. However, if this gets us one step closer to a playoff system, I can get over it.

Zero chance of that happening :salute:

I would love to see that but I thought that vt said they wouldn't come to the sec and pay another buyout since they just paid one not to long ago to join the acc but that would be an awesome conference

Why would anyone want VaTech?? That is a dumpster fire waiting for a match.

Not to mention the choking turkeys would not give up their automatic BCS bowl bid every year.

Does this mean we can finally kick Vandy out?

I would like to see the SEC go to 24 teams. Have a North ,West, South, and East. Then say to Heck with the Ncaa and have their own CHAMPIONSHIP. To Heck with the BCS. JMHO.

Were not kickin vandy or kentucky out cause they bring a lot to basketball and baseball and the nonrevenue sports so we can forget about those two schools. Thought I would add kentucky in there before it even gets started

OK, OKst, KS and KSst to west. Virgina, Va tech, NC, NC st, FSU, Clemson to east. .. Any school would be foolish not to want in. other options could be Louisville, Miami, Ga.tech........:)

Last edited:
Gosh I am soooooo sick of conference expansion talk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They dont even come close to fitting in in the SEC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clemson and VaTech will never become a good cultural fit!!!!! Not to mention it destroying all the rivalry games!!!!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh mad faces!!!!!!!!

Gosh I am soooooo sick of conference expansion talk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They dont even come close to fitting in in the SEC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clemson and VaTech will never become a good cultural fit!!!!! Not to mention it destroying all the rivalry games!!!!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh mad faces!!!!!!!!

Thats odd, didn't seem to feel that way when A&M was coming into the SEC.:p

Nope didnt see it. I dont see it happening either though. Both teams from ACC and with their buyouts from There are substantial.

Yeah. Pretty much bingo right here.

The conference isn't expanding again next season (and likely won't again till the others appear to also be doing such and moving to 16...slive's been giving off that feeling/direction after the Missouri addition)

VN Store

Back