Article on ESPN.com

It is a back and forth exchange on who is more likely to have a breakout season. Here is what they said about Tennessee:

Plenty of big-name programs are staying home this bowl season, and while many are likely to bounce back in 2012, it looks to me like the Tennessee Volunteers are in the best position of all. Yes, the Vols finished 5-7 overall and 1-7 in the SEC, but they had plenty of young players who showed toughness over the course of a brutal schedule and had their overall performance hurt by a number of significant injuries.

Yes, the Wildcats are in a better position from a conference standpoint, but don't overlook the fact that Tennessee had four SEC all-freshman picks this season -- lineman Marcus Jackson, linebackers Curt Maggitt and A.J. Johnson, and safety Brian Randolph -- and had four others in 2010. Johnson's 80 tackles this season are just six shy of the Tennessee freshman record set by Kansas City Chiefs safety Eric Berry, and there is all kinds of young defensive talent on that team ready to come into its own. A look at the Volunteers' most recent depth chart shows 12 freshmen and sophomores on their defensive two-deep, including five starters.

I think Tennessee is set up even better at quarterback. Sophomore Tyler Bray flashed a lot of potential this season, showing a big-time arm and the ability to drive the ball accurately downfield. A broken thumb cost him five games in the middle of the season, but he still threw for 17 touchdowns against just six interceptions.

I think Tennessee is set up even better at quarterback. Sophomore Tyler Bray flashed a lot of potential this season, showing a big-time arm and the ability to drive the ball accurately downfield. A broken thumb cost him five games in the middle of the season, but he still threw for 17 touchdowns against just six interceptions.

The Volunteers also have one of the best wide receiver duos in the country in Justin Hunter and Da'Rick Rogers. A torn ACL in the third game of the season put Hunter on the shelf, but having him and Bray healthy alongside Rogers (a first-team all-SEC pick this season) will make a huge difference for an offense that scored just 23 points in the five games Bray missed -- all losses, including consecutive games against No. 1 LSU, No. 2 Alabama and No. 13 South Carolina. He's very important to this team.

All of that is true, Steve, but remember that the SEC East is not as strong as the West, especially with Florida struggling to get right under Will Muschamp. Given the up-and-coming talent the Volunteers have and the fact that they get Florida, Alabama and Missouri at home next season, I expect big things.

Reactions: 25 people
That was a great read....thanx for posting
Posted via VolNation Mobile

No problem.:hi: There wasn't a ton of new info in the article and most informed Vols fans knew most of the info provided... that being stated its just nice to see that Scouts Inc. analyst agree that this team is full of great young talent and have a chance to do it big in 2012.

One guy pretty much thinks Rich Rod hung the moon and will make Arizona a great team just by his mere presence. He also thinks their schedule is a lot easier than what Tennessee has to face

"Given the up-and-coming talent the Volunteers have and the fact that they get Florida, Alabama and Missouri at home next season, I expect big things."

They're not the only ones.

Reactions: 1 person
Seems like one of the writers is not that big of a Dooley fan.

Based on results of CDD's tenure so far, I can completely understand that. Sux, but it is what it is.

Although, I will say that if he can get things rolling next year and get to 9 or 10 wins, I think he can win over the majority of the fan base. We shall see...

Based on results of CDD's tenure so far, I can completely understand that. Sux, but it is what it is.

Although, I will say that if he can get things rolling next year and get to 9 or 10 wins, I think he can win over the majority of the fan base. We shall see...

It is set up for you guys to have a nice run, just have to keep your best players healthy.

Reactions: 3 people
C'mon guys - you missed the requirement - "ESPN hates us."

A day after the 10 yr anny, maybe the Hex has been lifted; football forum being a bit positive today, Greer article supporting Dooley, ESPN running a positive piece, a beautiful day in East Tennessee.. hmmm, dunno what to think about all of this.

Reactions: 1 person

LOL, if he can win 9 or 10 the majority of the fan base might be won over? What would it take, 12-0 and he's the 1st to fly up during the rapture? I find expectations to be pretty funny for a rebuilding program.:crazy:

Taken from the Rich Rod comment by Muench:
...However, look at the situation Rodriguez inherits with the Wildcats. He's known for his explosive offense...

Yeah, it was an explosive offense all right. It exploded right back in their faces in his first year.

App St. 34
Michican't 32

Dooley will never have a breakthrough season,he hasnt had one yet in his 6 seasons coaching what makes anyone think next year will be great.I got us 6-6 next season we do slip into a minor bowl,but Dooley is let go thankfully. Fire Dooley!

VN Store

Back