Bigger than a loss to KY

Pompey

It is my current view that this historic loss has made next year pivotal for coach Dooley. With a win over Kentucky, and a good showing in a bowl, his program would have had at least until after the 2013 season to be finally evaluated. That may not be possible now. As a result coach Dooley will not survive a 6 and 6 season next year no matter the circumstances, his margin of error has probably been exhausted.

Although the final chapter of Dooley's career at Tennessee has certainly not been written, as one of his supporters I am sadden by these developments since Tennessee is in dire need of many of the characteristics that Dooley brings; intelligence, work ethic, integrity, and youthful energy. I hoped against hope that these desirable human characteristics would prove to be successful in a sport and program that I care about, we shall see. If however, these characteristics prove not to matter in the building of a successful program, then football will forever be the looser at a time when the sport can ill afford any more losses.

And finally, no matter the outcome of the Dooley era, I will argue that the coach himself has been as much victim as villain. Decades of incestuous cronyism in the UT athletic department has produced what incestuous cronyism always produces; a focus on individual self interest, incompetence, corruption, and collapse. Power, big money, and inside politics has often been a recipe for human failure and once again it has played itself out, this time at UTAD, and its consequences will be felt years into the future.

The rabid Dooley haters may indeed get what they so hysterically seek as early as next year. But, I will be left to ponder why evil seems to live forever, while the good die young, and why the good guy's seems to always finish last.

Reactions: 1 person
Give me a break! EVERYONE wants UT to succeed therfore Dooley to have succeeded. He is paid big money and given great resources to achieve the goal he accepted and he has failed.
You can try and make him a martyr all you want but he is what he is-a subpar football coach. He was not given 2 million bucks to come here and be a nice guy. He was brought here to win and he has not. The same excuses you and others make now have been made since last year and will continue.
Dooley is not a victim by and stretch of the imagination.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 1 person
Dooley inherited a HORRIBLE situation in January 2010, that's why Kiffin left and no one wanted to come here. Kiffin saw what was coming down the pike and realized he would be in a similar situation had he stayed. I'm not defending Dooley's coaching, but what I'm saying is whoever came here to coach would've been having a very tough time rebuilding UT.

It is my current view that this historic loss has made next year pivotal for coach Dooley. With a win over Kentucky, and a good showing in a bowl, his program would have had at least until after the 2013 season to be finally evaluated. That may not be possible now. As a result coach Dooley will not survive a 6 and 6 season next year no matter the circumstances, his margin of error has probably been exhausted.

Although the final chapter of Dooley's career at Tennessee has certainly not been written, as one of his supporters I am sadden by these developments since Tennessee is in dire need of many of the characteristics that Dooley brings; intelligence, work ethic, integrity, and youthful energy. I hoped against hope that these desirable human characteristics would prove to be successful in a sport and program that I care about, we shall see. If however, these characteristics prove not to matter in the building of a successful program, then football will forever be the looser at a time when the sport can ill afford any more losses.

And finally, no matter the outcome of the Dooley era, I will argue that the coach himself has been as much victim as villain. Decades of incestuous cronyism in the UT athletic department has produced what incestuous cronyism always produces; a focus on individual self interest, incompetence, corruption, and collapse. Power, big money, and inside politics has often been a recipe for human failure and once again it has played itself out, this time at UTAD, and its consequences will be felt years into the future.

The rabid Dooley haters may indeed get what they so hysterically seek as early as next year. But, I will be left to ponder why evil seems to live forever, while the good die young, and why the good guy's seems to always finish last.

My response to this would be that Dooley is the last remnant of the cronyism in the Hamilton reign. He was hired by the problem and to truly break free of it he should be cut loose as well.

Dooley inherited a HORRIBLE situation in January 2010, that's why Kiffin left and no one wanted to come here. Kiffin saw what was coming down the pike and realized he would be in a similar situation had he stayed. I'm not defending Dooley's coaching, but what I'm saying is whoever came here to coach would've been having a very tough time rebuilding UT.

Umm, thats not why kiffin left. He would still be our coach if Carroll had not left USC for the NFL and if just one of the 3-4 coaches that were offered the HC job at USC had taken it before Kiffen was offered. My how fate changes history. I wonder where we would be today in Kiffins 3rd year?

Last edited:
Losses like this embarrass and stink, but let's not go overboard. I can remember N. Texas, Rutgers and all the more recent, shameful games. She-ite happens. It's all about how Dooley, the staff and team respond. I'm sure it will be a process leading up to next season, but I'd have to expect some movement as the season winds up.

VN Store

Back