Negavols

volsfansince4387

I am not going to sit here and point fingers, but I remember a time when I could drive through Tennessee and see only a few items (flags, hats, stickers, etc) referencing Alabama football. Now, it's almost to the point that they are building cars with a little red "A" on the back window when really, the only thing that changed is the number of wins. So you have every right to sit here and say that you are through with this program. But I would like you to look up how the Vols stack up over the last 50 years in the SEC. If my memory serves correct, we are #2 in Wins. So please don't come back in a year or two and act as if you are a true vol. I wear my UT polo to work every Friday knowing that we are going to lose the next day. But I also believe in Dooley, this team, and this program. Every great team today, has went through long periods of garbage. Look at LSU in the 90's...Need I say more? You guys are pathetic, it's only be 3 full seasons since we were a 10 win team, and the last 2 we have still went to bowl games. IMO, if dooley could take last years craptacular of a team to ANY bowl game, then I believe he can win it all. It's not going to be this year. Probably not even next year. My money is on Bray's senior season. Some of you do not realize this, but fanbase does play a role in recruiting. So leaving half way through the 3rd is not what is helping this team. If they get recruits in here and we are getting blown out by 50 points, but every fan is still in the stadium. That says something. I wouldn't want to play in front of half of the people on here either the way you guys talk.

Reactions: 4 people
I know what you are talking about with the Alabama stuff on cars. That is especially evident down here in Middle Tennessee. There are a certain percentage of any fanbase that are bandwagon fans. Just a few years ago, I was seeing more Gators apparel than Bama. I have been a Vols fan for almost 50 years now and will be until the day I die. I had a 10 year run without missing any game - home, away, bowl game, etc. I was an annual donor for many years. I do admit that I got upset the year after the national championship when suddenly my donor level was no longer enough to get all the away tickets. At that time, I started to rethink the financial commitment. I say this all because it just fortifies the "bandwagon fans" argument. They are disgusting even to the true fanbase,

My T is still on my pickup and will remain there until I die ! My flag flies out of my big oak tree every year and it is there now. Will stay there until we play our last game of the year. Then it will go back up as soon as we start the season next year. Win lose or draw.

I wouldn't really call the people you described in your OP as negavols. Negavols are actually very true, loyal fans that are just pessemistic and tend to protect themselves from disappointment by expecting to be let down. If fact, you could say nega's are the most passionate of all because they hurt so bad when the program struggles that it causes them to go into emotional defense. The people that change allegiances when the program struggles were never fans to begin with
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 1 person
So leaving half way through the 3rd is not what is helping this team. If they get recruits in here and we are getting blown out by 50 points, but every fan is still in the stadium. That says something.

I couldn't agree more. Grow some balls and support your team.

Not so subtle true fan jab. I like it.

Gbo, iyam.

The fact that there are still 100,000 people paying good money to pack that stadium with the heap of garbage that is put on the field (and has been for quite some time now), I think the Administration and fanbase should take it as a positive.

Yeah its just band wagon fans.. I know several people that go out and buy a new hat every time a new team in playing for the NC.. It's dumb.. They just like to be different and stand out in a State of Orange!

OP must have become a Vol in the 90s during the peak. Before then you barely saw anything in Nashville with orange. In elementary school in the 70s all the kids were Vandy fans and I was the minority wearing orange. Things changed after the 85 Sugar Bowl as we were then in the national spotlight. There were a few other flashes of greatness ie beating ND in 79, beating #2 Bama in 82, but they flamed out after losses to stupid schools -Ole Miss after ND, Ga Tech after Bama. 85 til the NC game it was nothing but orange and then with the decline of Bama after Stallings left gave band wagoners a new team to follow in the Vols. UF began to rise and so they jumped over there. In the end, its who ever is hot, who ever wins the most games is where the fans will run to. By the end of last year there were alot more Auburn fans around mid Tn than in years past.

OP must have become a Vol in the 90s during the peak. Before then you barely saw anything in Nashville with orange. In elementary school in the 70s all the kids were Vandy fans and I was the minority wearing orange. Things changed after the 85 Sugar Bowl as we were then in the national spotlight. There were a few other flashes of greatness ie beating ND in 79, beating #2 Bama in 82, but they flamed out after losses to stupid schools -Ole Miss after ND, Ga Tech after Bama. 85 til the NC game it was nothing but orange and then with the decline of Bama after Stallings left gave band wagoners a new team to follow in the Vols. UF began to rise and so they jumped over there. In the end, its who ever is hot, who ever wins the most games is where the fans will run to. By the end of last year there were alot more Auburn fans around mid Tn than in years past.

You and I must've attended elemtary school together in Nashville - I've got the same memory. Born in early 70's by chance?

So UT getting blown out on the regular doesn't matter....... As long as the stadium is packed?? Are you serious? Are you 60? Do you know any kids or teenagers? They can see the coaching staff FAIL to make halftime adjustments. This team plays worse in the 2nd half, not better.

Please get off the fans. Turn your anger toward the administration and coaching staff. We pay bottom dollar for a coach and guess what, WE ARE NEAR THE BOTTOM...

Reactions: 2 people
You see this now because it is a trend. When historical teams rise from the dead like Alabama has done people come out of the woodworks as fans. Just look at all the Red Sox fans in Tennessee when they won the world series. This happened with the Celtics and Steelers. Wait until the Bulls win the NBA Finals and you see all the Bulls fans around. Once Tennessee finally gets going again you will see the passion that was once around in the 90's. Its a trend. 5 years ago their were people wearing USC gear in Tennessee. Most of which had probably never been to the West Coast.

You and I must've attended elemtary school together in Nashville - I've got the same memory. Born in early 70's by chance?

nope, a bit earlier in the mid 60s. Back in the day when elementary meant 1st-6th grade and jr high was 7th-8th.

I wouldn't really call the people you described in your OP as negavols. Negavols are actually very true, loyal fans that are just pessemistic and tend to protect themselves from disappointment by expecting to be let down. If fact, you could say nega's are the most passionate of all because they hurt so bad when the program struggles that it causes them to go into emotional defense. The people that change allegiances when the program struggles were never fans to begin with

No disrespect but you sound like a psycologist with this post. Man thats some deep thinking.

nope, a bit earlier in the mid 60s. Back in the day when elementary meant 1st-6th grade and jr high was 7th-8th.

I was still in elementary school in 6th grade, then Jr High at 7th, so Iguess they hung on to that tradition a little longer. It's jacked up now - my 12 year old started middle in 6th

Ha! Crazy thing is, I was actually a psychotherapist in private practice for about 4 years, and that is no joke.

Well I know a few posters on this board that should probably look you up and pay for some serious help. There are a few Negavols that have gone Bat S@!t Crazy. They are so cose to falling of the cliff all it will take is a good fart and they are gone.

Well I know a few posters on this board that should probably look you up and pay for some serious help. There are a few Negavols that have gone Bat S@!t Crazy. They are so cose to falling of the cliff all it will take is a good fart and they are gone.

I've been accused of all the above and more, so not sure if I'd be much help :)

I am not going to sit here and point fingers, but I remember a time when I could drive through Tennessee and see only a few items (flags, hats, stickers, etc) referencing Alabama football. Now, it's almost to the point that they are building cars with a little red "A" on the back window when really, the only thing that changed is the number of wins. So you have every right to sit here and say that you are through with this program. But I would like you to look up how the Vols stack up over the last 50 years in the SEC. If my memory serves correct, we are #2 in Wins. So please don't come back in a year or two and act as if you are a true vol. I wear my UT polo to work every Friday knowing that we are going to lose the next day. But I also believe in Dooley, this team, and this program. Every great team today, has went through long periods of garbage. Look at LSU in the 90's...Need I say more? You guys are pathetic, it's only be 3 full seasons since we were a 10 win team, and the last 2 we have still went to bowl games. IMO, if dooley could take last years craptacular of a team to ANY bowl game, then I believe he can win it all. It's not going to be this year. Probably not even next year. My money is on Bray's senior season. Some of you do not realize this, but fanbase does play a role in recruiting. So leaving half way through the 3rd is not what is helping this team. If they get recruits in here and we are getting blown out by 50 points, but every fan is still in the stadium. That says something. I wouldn't want to play in front of half of the people on here either the way you guys talk.

Nice Post!:hi:

You want to know why there are so many red A's on cars? Have you ever been through Tuscaloosa? Heck, pretty much anywhere in Alabama? Alabama alumns are dying to move to a state as pretty as TN and get out of Alabama. Can you blame them?

VN Store

Back