Expansion Rumor

rexvol

The Minister of Defense
Vote 12-0 AM to SEC. Slive given go ahead to negotiate with WVU & Missouri.
WVU could be the 14th team added quickly with Missouri and a team from the East at a later time as 15th and 16h.

Is this a downgrade for the SEC. I personally dont relish the idea of traveling to Morgantown or Columbia.

Is this a downgrade for the SEC. I personally dont relish the idea of traveling to Morgantown or Columbia.

A possible downgrade in vintage tradition, persay, but the businessmen at the SEC office in Birmingham are nervously writhing their hands considering the amount of revenue that could be generated through expansion.

Missouri is a Big Ten (or something) school. Not a good choice for an SEC invite. WV isn't a bad choice but I would rather see Clemson.

This has nothing to do with venues or the respective locations. It has everything to do with TV markets. This moves the SEC into the St. Louis and K.C. markets in the west, and the Pittsburgh and D.C. markets in the east. That's a huge number of potential viewers for the conference and the all-important ESPN contract.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Morgantown is actually a really fun gameday experience. It's a pretty cool campus, the town- not so much, but the campus is nice. They love their football there too. It's not your typical Big East football experience.

I wouldn't be surprised if another Big 12 team comes over. I thought Mizzou just joined another conference?

sammyjoey posted this in a thread in the NCAA forum...

All time wins:

1. Michigan
2. Texas
3. Notre Dame
4. Nebraska
5. Ohio State
6. Alabama
7. Penn State
8. Oklahoma
9. USC
10. Tennessee
11. Georgia
12. LSU
13. Auburn
14. West Virginia
15. Syracuse
16. Georgia Tech
17. Virginia Tech
18. Texas A&M
19. Pittsburgh
20. Arkansas
21. Stanford
22. Colorado
23. Washington
24. Florida
25. Miami (OH)

We'd be adding the #14 and #18 programs all time, and 9 of our 14 would be in the all-time top 25.

Don't really like Missouri or WV. They are good programs but not like FSU, Sooners, or OK state in my eyes (not so much OK state but close) :)

It is short sighted to go after tv market simply for the short term contracts. If you hurt the brand it will come back to haunt you in the long run. We need programs that can sustain success.

Just heard that it is not a done deal yet. Baylor is being a stick in the mud and is holding up the process.

Don't really like Missouri or WV. They are good programs but not like FSU, Sooners, or OK state in my eyes (not so much OK state but close) :)

Agreed, I imagine a lot of the current PAC-12 schools are gasping at the idea of TX and the Sooners joining their ranks... seeing their recruiting balance going out the door. Would just be status quo in the SEC.

You guys are looking at it from a Fans perspective and the prestige of their Football programs.

The SEC is looking for new markets and more money. Yea the bigger names bring the same things but Florida will not allow another school in state, OU will follow Texas and Ok St is joined at the hip to OU.

If we add wvu, a strong push should be made for vt. It would add a fierce and sometimes violent rivalry to the conference

I don't understand how the SEC is gaining anything by bringing A&M to the SEC. A&M is gaining a lot, but what benefit is the SEC getting out of it? I definitely don't see any benefit of bringing in a team like Mizzou. Anyone else get it? If so, please explain.

This has nothing to do with venues or the respective locations. It has everything to do with TV markets. This moves the SEC into the St. Louis and K.C. markets in the west, and the Pittsburgh and D.C. markets in the east. That's a huge number of potential viewers for the conference and the all-important ESPN contract.

True. It is geographic.

You guys are looking at it from a Fans perspective and the prestige of their Football programs.

The SEC is looking for new markets and more money. Yea the bigger names bring the same things but Florida will not allow another school in state, OU will follow Texas and Ok St is joined at the hip to OU.

This. Texas is a big money market.

I don't understand how the SEC is gaining anything by bringing A&M to the SEC. A&M is gaining a lot, but what benefit is the SEC getting out of it? I definitely don't see any benefit of bringing in a team like Mizzou. Anyone else get it? If so, please explain.

Dolla Dolla Bill Yall.

VN Store

Back