2799 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Expansion Rumor Page 2. within the forum Tennessee Vols Football. Originally Posted by rexvol Is this a downgrade for the SEC. I personally dont relish the idea of traveling to ...

Go Back   VolNation > Tennessee Vols Forums > Tennessee Vols Football

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2011, 09:02 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexvol View Post
Is this a downgrade for the SEC. I personally dont relish the idea of traveling to Morgantown or Columbia.
Alabama | MrSEC.com

Here is the link that shows all of the rumors.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-07-2011, 09:03 AM   #17 (permalink)
Fate Loves The Fearless

If we add wvu, a strong push should be made for vt. It would add a fierce and sometimes violent rivalry to the conference
Posted via VolNation Mobile
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-07-2011, 09:03 AM   #18 (permalink)
tim
Volsquatch

Holding my nose.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-07-2011, 09:05 AM   #19 (permalink)
This We'll Defend

I like the WVU idea
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-07-2011, 09:08 AM   #20 (permalink)
Volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldvol View Post
Missouri is a Big Ten (or something) school. Not a good choice for an SEC invite. WV isn't a bad choice but I would rather see Clemson.
Maybe they're trying to balance out the conference geographically. Think spatially.
"The Constitution is the guide which I never will abandon." George Washington "Runaway government threatens our economic survival, our most cherished institutions, and the very preservation of freedom itself." Ronald Reagan "It depends upon what the meaning of the word is, is." William Jefferson Clinton "I've now been in 57 states." Barack Obama
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-07-2011, 09:08 AM   #21 (permalink)

Screw vt. Rather have wvu.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-07-2011, 09:09 AM   #22 (permalink)
Formerly Tennisguy

I don't understand how the SEC is gaining anything by bringing A&M to the SEC. A&M is gaining a lot, but what benefit is the SEC getting out of it? I definitely don't see any benefit of bringing in a team like Mizzou. Anyone else get it? If so, please explain.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-07-2011, 09:09 AM   #23 (permalink)
Volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Boro-vol View Post
This has nothing to do with venues or the respective locations. It has everything to do with TV markets. This moves the SEC into the St. Louis and K.C. markets in the west, and the Pittsburgh and D.C. markets in the east. That's a huge number of potential viewers for the conference and the all-important ESPN contract.
True. It is geographic.
"The Constitution is the guide which I never will abandon." George Washington "Runaway government threatens our economic survival, our most cherished institutions, and the very preservation of freedom itself." Ronald Reagan "It depends upon what the meaning of the word is, is." William Jefferson Clinton "I've now been in 57 states." Barack Obama
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-07-2011, 09:12 AM   #24 (permalink)
Volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by head1 View Post
You guys are looking at it from a Fans perspective and the prestige of their Football programs.

The SEC is looking for new markets and more money. Yea the bigger names bring the same things but Florida will not allow another school in state, OU will follow Texas and Ok St is joined at the hip to OU.
This. Texas is a big money market.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-07-2011, 09:18 AM   #25 (permalink)
Doctor of Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolsFanRJ View Post
I don't understand how the SEC is gaining anything by bringing A&M to the SEC. A&M is gaining a lot, but what benefit is the SEC getting out of it? I definitely don't see any benefit of bringing in a team like Mizzou. Anyone else get it? If so, please explain.
Dolla Dolla Bill Yall.

But publicly dissing Nick Saban is not the best decision he's ever made.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-07-2011, 09:22 AM   #26 (permalink)
Formerly Tennisguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbowlingmd View Post
Dolla Dolla Bill Yall.
Financially the SEC is set as is. I don't see weakening the conference in hopes to add a few bucks. A&M might have tradition, but I don't see them as being an SEC powerhouse. If they wanna bring in Oklahoma and Virginia Tech, then I could understand that. Bet the dollars would increase then too.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-07-2011, 09:30 AM   #27 (permalink)

If the SEC brings in to many power houses (OK, VT) no team would make it through the season unscaithed. What would be the chances of a two loss SEC champion playing for the NC when you have unbeaten Pac 12 and/or Big 12 champions?
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-07-2011, 09:39 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldvol View Post
Missouri is a Big Ten (or something) school. Not a good choice for an SEC invite. WV isn't a bad choice but I would rather see Clemson.
Missouri is in the Big 12 right now... and you have no idea what you are talking about. They have a very well rounded athletics program. Mizzou would make an excellent addition.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-07-2011, 09:43 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaultbay View Post
If the SEC brings in to many power houses (OK, VT) no team would make it through the season unscaithed. What would be the chances of a two loss SEC champion playing for the NC when you have unbeaten Pac 12 and/or Big 12 champions?
Same scenario exists for the new Pac16 or whatever they call it. We seem to be heading toward 4 super conferences. I am not altogether thrilled with that development but it will produce more of a "true" football champion. It is very likely that future NC's will have one or two losses. In fact, it may become beneficial to take more difficult OOC games. If each conference produces a champion that then engages in a two round NC playoff then there's no harm in an OOC loss... or even two... or even four. The focus will be on winning your division then your conference then 2 games.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-07-2011, 09:46 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolsFanRJ View Post
Financially the SEC is set as is. I don't see weakening the conference in hopes to add a few bucks. A&M might have tradition, but I don't see them as being an SEC powerhouse. If they wanna bring in Oklahoma and Virginia Tech, then I could understand that. Bet the dollars would increase then too.
The SEC cannot sit while the Pac10 adds OU, Texas, KU, Ok St, Texas Tech, etc.

The more interesting thing right now is how the ACC and Big 10 react. Both will now be forced to grow. There is also more leverage to force ND to join the Big 10 and especially if the BE goes down... which it should.
Reply With Quote TOP