812 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Khalid Henderson Commits to TN Page 9. within the forum Tennessee Vols Football. Originally Posted by Fijivol72 why is it that every major college on the planet pay vast sums of money to ...

Go Back   VolNation > Tennessee Vols Forums > Tennessee Vols Football

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2011, 12:23 PM   #121 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fijivol72 View Post
why is it that every major college on the planet pay vast sums of money to the services for their evaluations? I am so sick of every recruit that dooley signs is a great dooley evaluation when the jury is clearly out on him and definitely his recruiting ability. Just you wait until all these raw talents that dooley signs come of age. We will be competing with the big boys again. Yes sirree!
We should know much more about Dooley's coaching after this season.
Posted via VolNation Mobile
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 06-14-2011, 12:23 PM   #122 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevols81 View Post
Who bashed a recruiting service? I know I haven't. I've merely pointed out repeated evaluations that were flat out wrong in judging certain players potential. Which is the entire point of these web sites, Rivals and Scout.

My point is that based on his relatively short time here at UT and his previous tenure as Saban's recruiting coordinator at LSU, Dooley has been proven to be very capable in evaluating the talent of high school football players.
Several have bashed the services and called those of us who look at their evaluation and recognize they are right more often than not "star gazers".
VolBeef88 is offline   Reply With Quote TOP
Old 06-14-2011, 12:23 PM   #123 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incipient View Post
I didn't say incoming class, I said offers. If we're only offering people after they've already picked up high recruiting rankings, it's evidence that our coaches aren't doing their jobs in evaluation. Now if we're offering people before they pick up a high ranking, that shows that the coaches are relying on more than just recruiting services. If Rivals finds every player before our coaches do, that doesn't say much about our coaches' ability to evaluate talent. Differing here and there shows independent thought.
Some good points.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 06-14-2011, 12:27 PM   #124 (permalink)
SDV
Wants It

I wish they'd do away with the stars system. Liked it better in the old days
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 06-14-2011, 12:27 PM   #125 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theutvolunteers View Post
Some good points.
The problem is that no one knows when our coaches start evaluating kids. By the time we hear about it, they've been looking at them for a very long time.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:27 PM   #126 (permalink)

henderson's commitment

just looked at his junior highlight films,he seems,to me,to be very smooth in running.when he hit a player,the ball carrier went down right there. good anticipation also.being an old vol,orange bleeder forever,he reminds me somewhat of Steve Kiner whom i knew. best of luck, you'll make your own.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 06-14-2011, 12:29 PM   #127 (permalink)
Zed's Dead, Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevols81 View Post
That the one with the kid from American Pie and Busey, right?
I met Gary Busey once in Santa Monica, he was coming out of the bathroom and had a long piece of TP hanging out of his boot. & was 3 sheets in the wind... so that gives me a Bacon number of 3!
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 06-14-2011, 12:31 PM   #128 (permalink)

We can only hope and wish he is 1/2 as good

as Kiner was.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 06-14-2011, 12:31 PM   #129 (permalink)
Fate Loves The Fearless

Quote:
why is it that every major college on the planet pay vast sums of money to the services for their evaluations? I am so sick of every recruit that dooley signs is a great dooley evaluation when the jury is clearly out on him and definitely his recruiting ability. Just you wait until all these raw talents that dooley signs come of age. We will be competing with the big boys again. Yes sirree!
the recruiting services that colleges pay are different than Scout and Rivals. Those college services merely provide film and stats of players they think are good for the coaches to evaluate. They act as a dragnet to catch players in schools that the coaches may not have time to see.

Rivals and Scout cater to the fan. Often times the stats are inflated because they rely on self reporting. A running back may have 13 carries for 87 yards but will report 18 carries for 123 yards and a td. He knows the inflated stat will lead to a higher ranking and possibly greater attention. This is why its so important not to rely on Rival and Scout rankings.

If you really want to know about recruiting, read "Meat Market". It will change your opinion of Rivals/Scout, evaluating talent and offering scholarships.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:32 PM   #130 (permalink)
Sous me.

Blog from the AJC about his commitment:

LB Khalid Henderson commits to the Tennessee Volunteers | AJC College Sports Recruiting
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 06-14-2011, 12:33 PM   #131 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfballs03 View Post
Whose evaluation do you trust more, some nerd from rivals or Peter Sirmon and Lance Thompson?
How do you know the coaches didn't evaluate a player the same as the services did? We offer a lot of kids and some we get, some we don't. I guarantee you our coaches would take the high rated kids on these services every year. As a coach you go after what you want and have to settle for what you get.
The services just have to rate, not sign. Different ball game all together.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:37 PM   #132 (permalink)

Quote:
1. They pay for the film. Coaches can't be everywhere and have limited travel, visits, and time.

2. What makes you think the jury is out on Dooley's recruiting? Was it his time at LSU as Saban's coordinator?

3. Why do you gripe so much?
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 06-14-2011, 12:38 PM   #133 (permalink)
Sous me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolBeef88 View Post
Several have bashed the services and called those of us who look at their evaluation and recognize they are right more often than not "star gazers".
I believe that they are right more than they are wrong, as well, but nothing is 100%. Also, I look at the schools that are picking up interest in him and that leads me to believe that Dooley and staff got in on him early.

I could be wrong but at this moment he looks like a solid pickup for a position of need.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 06-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #134 (permalink)
VFL 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolBeef88 View Post
How do you know the coaches didn't evaluate a player the same as the services did? We offer a lot of kids and some we get, some we don't. I guarantee you our coaches would take the high rated kids on these services every year. As a coach you go after what you want and have to settle for what you get.
The services just have to rate, not sign. Different ball game all together.
That's irrelevant.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 06-14-2011, 12:40 PM   #135 (permalink)
Loves Hot Sauce

One thing I noticed from his tape, the kid is always "in the game". He's blocking kicks, getting pressure on the QB, pushing the RB to the sideline even when he doesnt make the tackle or the sack he is helping someone else do it. He seems like he has a great motor and seems like he is a high character guy.
Reply With Quote TOP