For John Ward fans

Thank you for Posting that link! I was only able to catch about the last 10 years of his career but it brings back a lot of memories. Listening to those soundbites just brings goose bumps! I wish he would still do one game a year like maybe Homecoming game, that would just be awesome!

I used to want to own a sports bar with turf football field as the flooring. The bathrooms were to be in the checkerboard endzone and the voice of John Ward would count you down as you went to take a leak. He's at the 40, the 30, the 20, etc.

Oh my...spine tingling & goosebumps arising listening to THE Voice of the Vols. Thanks, John Ward, for making UT sports come alive for the Vol Nation.

They all bring back great memories, but the blocked clip is so sweet....guess you can tell I'm fired up!

JW is probably the reason I am a Vol fan. He made listening to Vol games during the mostly miserable seventies exciting and fun.

Can someone educate me on the significance of Gate 21?

JW is probably the reason I am a Vol fan. He made listening to Vol games during the mostly miserable seventies exciting and fun.

Can someone educate me on the significance of Gate 21?

It is just the biggest gate to enter the stadium. The one on the corner of the stadium that now has the huge arch in front of it.

My favorite part of "The Color Orange" was listening to JW's descriptions of events, in particular Condrege Holloway chasing down the Georgia Tech DB after an INT in his 1st game. I was listening to him tell the story wishing we could all hear that every Saturday in the fall. The man's still got it.

I can't just stop at one...gotta listen to all of them.

They are great.....However, us "old folks" remember not only what a treasure John Ward was but also how great George Mooney, who preceeded him, was as well. Mooney, like Ward, made the game really come alive when there were rare televised games. For all those who've never heard Mooney, check out this short audio clip of his description of the Vols stopping Billy Cannon in 1959.

Flashback: The Great Games -- The All-Time Top 10 | Gate 21

VN Store

Back