lets settle this, should players be asked to look elsewhere?

what should we do if we don't have enough spots for our commits?

• Total voters

Ertel

ok guys it looks like we are definitely in the running for some great players but unfortunately we only have three remaining spots (yes i know tons of you will say otherwise but this seems to be the popular opinion) we are in the running for
-Richardson
-Clear
-Dawson
-Moore
-Jernigan
-Fulse
-Wright
-Mickey johnson (s&p so i guess hes not as big of a problem)
-Maggit

these are big time players and all would be huge additions to the team. we have some players already committed that are lower ranked and seem to be viewed as lower quality than the guys on the list above. (DY, carson, tino thomas for example) do we need to ask these guys to look elsewhere to make room for the higher ranked players? lets remember these kids are still getting the most important part of college athletics, a free education. they all, except for DY have offers from respectable schools. would they not probably be better off at a school where they would have a better chance to see immediate playing time? lets see what you guys think

I think the coaches know what they're doing. I'll just sit back and watch the magic.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I hate to start all this again, but I think you're incorrect. I believe we have 23 that are verbally comitted or enrolled and we can sign 28 this year, leaving room for 5 more.

I hate to start all this again, but I think you're incorrect. I believe we have 23 that are verbally comitted or enrolled and we can sign 28 this year, leaving room for 5 more.

no problem man, somebody would have if you didnt this crap is more confusing than a m night shamalan film, i just keep wondering how its gonna end.

over sign...it's the SEC way, baby! Alabama invented it.

Why Did Georgia Tech Leave the SEC? Oversigning.com

http://oversigning.com/testing/index.php/2010/02/13/history-lesson/

aboutoversigningcom1296.jpg

I think the coaches know what they're doing. I'll just sit back and watch the magic.

whats the fun in that? pick a side and defend it against all reason to the death!! it is the american way!! :)

no problem man, somebody would have if you didnt this crap is more confusing than a m night shamalan film, i just keep wondering how its gonna end.

If we could get 4 of those guys by nsd it would be a great class. I hope we get one of the LBs for sure.

ok guys it looks like we are definitely in the running for some great players but unfortunately we only have three remaining spots (yes i know tons of you will say otherwise but this seems to be the popular opinion) we are in the running for
-Richardson
-Clear
-Dawson
-Moore
-Jernigan
-Fulse
-Wright
-Mickey johnson (s&p so i guess hes not as big of a problem)
-Maggit

these are big time players and all would be huge additions to the team. we have some players already committed that are lower ranked and seem to be viewed as lower quality than the guys on the list above. (DY, carson, tino thomas for example) do we need to ask these guys to look elsewhere to make room for the higher ranked players? lets remember these kids are still getting the most important part of college athletics, a free education. they all, except for DY have offers from respectable schools. would they not probably be better off at a school where they would have a better chance to see immediate playing time? lets see what you guys think

I trust our head coach to sign the best 26 kids he believes will take this program forward. If I did not trust him to do that I would be suggesting we start looking elsewhere.

I trust him much more than recruiting service rankings

Haha. There is a better chance of Les Miles buying a hat that actually fits him than us getting Ray Drew. Wishful thinking tho.

I trust our head coach to sign the best 26 kids he believes will take this program forward. If I did not trust him to do that I would be suggesting we start looking elsewhere.

I trust him much more than recruiting service rankings

This... and remember, the best player to take the program forward may not be the best player.

Do you drop Thomas to get a slightly better player at the risk of losing ground in Memphis? Do you drop Young and continue the process that left so many of the best Tn HSFB players without in state loyalty?

Do you drop Carson who is potentially a very good DT and lose inroads into AL... a state with very good talent that UT has gotten few players from?

Everything you do in a situation like this has the potential of biting or benefiting you somewhere down the road.

So, if I understand correctly, we have until May 31st to sign 26, but 3 more can be sign and place guys. In essence then, I have to agree with oversigning. I would imagine CDD has already talked to one or two of the lower ranked guys and told them if everyone else qualifies, they might have to either look elsewhere or pay their own way above and beyond any grants, etc. Which brings up a question I have asked but never gotten an answer to. If they can qualify for another type(academic or Hope for the instate kids) scholarship, could this be given to them without it being an NCAA issue? If so, many of these kids could probably get government loans to pay the difference for the first year. Then couldn't they be put on scholly later if they proved themselves without it being a signing limit issue?

Last edited:
This... and remember, the best player to take the program forward may not be the best player.

Do you drop Thomas to get a slightly better player at the risk of losing ground in Memphis? Do you drop Young and continue the process that left so many of the best Tn HSFB players without in state loyalty?

Do you drop Carson who is potentially a very good DT and lose inroads into AL... a state with very good talent that UT has gotten few players from?

Everything you do in a situation like this has the potential of biting or benefiting you somewhere down the road.

i dont understand how the "in road" theory is relevant. unless a kid is from the same school i dont think it helps at all. i have never heard a recruit say "yeah so and so down the road went to (insert school) so i think i will too." the only way i think we get in roads is maybe having a coach who was a great college or highschool coach in that area, i really doubt having one recruit, especially a 2 star one will help us in alabama, maybe if we grabbed the top prospect from the state then that would help a little but otherwise i think thats dumb. just like the "losing ground in memphis" thing. if kids grow up in memphis loving UT then other kids in that area getting snubbed shouldnt affect how they feel about the program, unless they were friends or relatives of that player. i think it would be motivation, like "hey so and so wasnt good enough for UT to take them but they want me so what does that say?"

VN Store

Back