Rogers Redding, the SEC supervisors of officials, to give an explanation…

VolDad

Redding is scheduled to be on Barnharts radio show (11:10 Eastern).

SPORTS RADIO 790 THE ZONE

Expect to hear this:

Give the SEC officials credit. They got it right in the LSU-Tennessee game: I beat on the officials a bunch last season when it appeared they were getting one big call wrong almost every week. But they got it right at the end of the Tennessee-LSU game. I talked to Rogers Redding, the SEC supervisors of officials once on Saturday night and again on Sunday. If you missed it, find the clip and take a look. LSU trailed 14-10 and was driving in the closing seconds for what would be a winning touchdown. Mass chaos reigned on the LSU bench in the final 30 seconds (Haven’t we read this before?) and as a result the snap flew by quarterback Jordan Jefferson and the clock ran out. Tennessee was celebrating because they had just upset the No. 10 team in the nation on the road. But back in the secondary there were three flags. Tennessee’s defense had 13—that’s right—13 players on the field. LSU got an untimed down and scored to win 17-14.

As painful as it was for Tennessee, the officials got it right. Tennessee got caught trying to sub too many players and trying to match LSU’s personnel when they should have stayed put, because LSU was self-destructing. Tennessee coach Derek Dooley said he didn’t have time to get his players on the field. But Redding read the rule to me and it is clear that there is not an ulimited amount of time to get defensive substitutions on the field. The Tennessee defense got set but unfortunately it was set with 13 players. The official can’t stand over the ball forever or the clock would just run out. Then you have another set of issues.

I looked at the tape several times on Sunday and they got it right. Also, to those of you writing about the LSU player (T-Bob Hebert) snatching his helmet off during the fray: Understand that since the excessive celebration call last year in the Georgia-LSU game, the SEC is not going to let something like that determine the outcome of a game. It did not impact play and is not going to get called in that situation.

There’s Alabama, and then there is everybody else | Mr. College Football

Expect to hear this:

Give the SEC officials credit. They got it right in the LSU-Tennessee game: I beat on the officials a bunch last season when it appeared they were getting one big call wrong almost every week. But they got it right at the end of the Tennessee-LSU game. I talked to Rogers Redding, the SEC supervisors of officials once on Saturday night and again on Sunday. If you missed it, find the clip and take a look. LSU trailed 14-10 and was driving in the closing seconds for what would be a winning touchdown. Mass chaos reigned on the LSU bench in the final 30 seconds (Haven’t we read this before?) and as a result the snap flew by quarterback Jordan Jefferson and the clock ran out. Tennessee was celebrating because they had just upset the No. 10 team in the nation on the road. But back in the secondary there were three flags. Tennessee’s defense had 13—that’s right—13 players on the field. LSU got an untimed down and scored to win 17-14.

As painful as it was for Tennessee, the officials got it right. Tennessee got caught trying to sub too many players and trying to match LSU’s personnel when they should have stayed put, because LSU was self-destructing. Tennessee coach Derek Dooley said he didn’t have time to get his players on the field. But Redding read the rule to me and it is clear that there is not an ulimited amount of time to get defensive substitutions on the field. The Tennessee defense got set but unfortunately it was set with 13 players. The official can’t stand over the ball forever or the clock would just run out. Then you have another set of issues.

I looked at the tape several times on Sunday and they got it right. Also, to those of you writing about the LSU player (T-Bob Hebert) snatching his helmet off during the fray: Understand that since the excessive celebration call last year in the Georgia-LSU game, the SEC is not going to let something like that determine the outcome of a game. It did not impact play and is not going to get called in that situation.

Rules are rules, that makes no sense at all. The call last year was questionable but the players throwing their helmets should be a penalty.

Expect to hear this:

So the People's Kommisar of Sport, Commrade Slive, is sending his Chief of Internal Police to explain to us why everything is fine in the world of SEC officiating.

Why in the world can not the conference with the best teams, coaches, players, facilities and the most money actually hire a handful of competent officials????

Rules are rules, that makes no sense at all. The call last year was questionable but the players throwing their helmets should be a penalty.

With all the mass confusing going on, there no way to perfectly officiate the game and conclude they were right, These officials need to go back to referee school!

The thing that bothers me is that I've not seen flags down on that play, and they reviewed the play and called a penalty. If our penalty was to be enforced, theirs should have too. The game was ongoing since there was an extra play. If our 5-yard penalty is enforceable, why isn't their 15-yarder. It wouldn't have decided the game either, it would have punished the unsportsmanlike conduct and allowed for an extra play. We have gotten royally screwed on calls ever since Urban Meyer's first year at UF (roughing the passer). We should be allowed to have 13 on the field if the other team has the officials playing for them....

Expect to hear this:

Neither did 13 men on the field.

I have not seen the replay but I understand that he took his helmet off and threw it while the ball was still rolling around. The play was still active.

That is hilarious, I posted this yesterday, we could have had 20 on the field and it wouldn't have changed the botched snap, but a rule is a rule and you are suppose to call it. Also, what about the false start, do they have an explanation for that?

The thing that bothers me is that I've not seen flags down on that play, and they reviewed the play and called a penalty. If our penalty was to be enforced, theirs should have too. The game was ongoing since there was an extra play. If our 5-yard penalty is enforceable, why isn't their 15-yarder. It wouldn't have decided the game either, it would have punished the unsportsmanlike conduct and allowed for an extra play. We have gotten royally screwed on calls ever since Urban Meyer's first year at UF (roughing the passer). We should be allowed to have 13 on the field if the other team has the officials playing for them....

Totally agree, there was an lineman that left a little early too, so they would had two penalties to our one, I also heard of an illegal shift that went unnoticed, Heck the official was on the headset for two seconds it was like they were only looking for Tennesseee to commit the penalty, heck with LSU, Thats why I don't like LSU or Florida.

There is an old adage that when your enemy is self destructing, let them. In perfect hindsight, that is all we had to do. But in the pressure of the game, I really think we were mentally unprecedented to deal with what was clinical insanity on the part of LSU. The sane man always has trouble knowing how to deal with the insane.

Barnhart knew the outcome before the game even started. He was calling LSU "5-0" before the kickoff.

There is an old adage that when your enemy is self destructing, let them. In perfect hindsight, that is all we had to do. But in the pressure of the game, I really think we were mentally unprecedented to deal with what was clinical insanity on the part of LSU. The sane man always has trouble knowing how to deal with the insane.

I don't know what that means, but I like it. I'm going to use it.

The helmet affected the play just as much as our 13 players: none. I just don't buy that part of the argument.

The 13 men on the field had no impact on the final play of the game either, if that is the standard for the helmet coming off. Wouldn't have mattered if there were 17 men on the field...it was still a botched snap.

Edit: PeytonBerry beat me to it.

The 13 men on the field had no impact on the final play of the game either, if that is the standard for the helmet coming off. Wouldn't have mattered if there were 17 men on the field...it was still a botched snap.

I agree with you guys, everybody wants to talk about the penalty against UT, but are lkeaving out the should be penalty against LSU and the fact that either one had no effect on the play but leaves 1 question...Who was paid off?

So the People's Kommisar of Sport, Commrade Slive, is sending his Chief of Internal Police to explain to us why everything is fine in the world of SEC officiating.

Why in the world can not the conference with the best teams, coaches, players, facilities and the most money actually hire a handful of competent officials????

Exactly. Does anybody expect this to be anything other than a slobberfest?

As I said in another thread, I don't care if they go with the letter of the law (both sides had penalties that could be called) or the intent of the law (none of said penalties would have changed the outcome of that botched play), but I would like to see the same standard applied to both teams.

I agree with you guys, everybody wants to talk about the penalty against UT, but are lkeaving out the should be penalty against LSU and the fact that either one had no effect on the play but leaves 1 question...Who was paid off?

Exactly.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

VN Store

Back