3425 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on 48-13 And I'm Not That Mad???. within the forum Tennessee Vols Football. I almost feel guilty that I'm not more upset about losing by 35, and in a weird way I came ...

Go Back   VolNation > Tennessee Vols Forums > Tennessee Vols Football

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2010, 10:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Merry Christmas

48-13 And I'm Not That Mad???

I almost feel guilty that I'm not more upset about losing by 35, and in a weird way I came away somewhat encouraged. Does anyone else feel this way? Maybe it's my lack of expectations for this years team, I don't know. I just didn't think we were that bad last night. Tired, yes...Bad, no.

I am one of the most competitive people I can think of, I hate to lose and I'm not one for moral victories, but I felt I saw enough good things from us to have a good feeling about the future. IMO there were 5 plays that went against us last night that changed the course of the game. I think these plays that went against us could have just as easily turned into a positive for us. Unfortunately, for an inexperienced team like ours any of these kind of plays can cause an avalanche that is impossible to recover from and that's exactly what happened.

1. The leading w/ the helmet penalty on Gordon. After watching the replay several times it look to me like he led w/ the shoulder. That turned 3rd and 10 into a 1st down and then touchdown drive. Huge momentum killer going into the half. 13-13 instead of 13-6 or 9 to me is a big deal.

2. Simms Pick 6. He got pressured made a bad throw and an even worse read. He threw to the outside receiver, but had Da'Rick wide open on a curl for a first down on the same side of the field. This can be fixed.

3. James long TD run. We had the guy trapped for a big loss and let him get away. No way that should've happened, kind of a fluke play. Majority of the time we make that tackle for a loss. I'm not taking anything from the guy, it was a helluva run, but not something you see often.

4. Waggner's missing the pick on the TD. To me it looked like he had good coverage and it went through his hands. I could be wrong on this one, but it looked like he could've made the pick.

5. Punt return for TD. I think of all the things that went wrong, this made me the most upset. The guy didn't even make a move to juke someone. It was a straight line run. I have confidence in our coaching staff's special teams track record and emphasis to feel that this coverage issue can be fixed also.

My point in listing these 5 plays is that these were all kind of fluke plays. These are things that can be fixed. I'm not stupid, I realize that these things happen during football games, but these are all things that could have easily gone the other way and would have made for a very different 2nd half. I am in no way suggesting we would have won, but the entire game would've been different. We had to play mistake free against Oregon to win and that didn't happen. Oregon is an outstanding team and I tip my cap to the Ducks for playing a great game and being better than us. The reality of it all, is that we played winning football for 30 minutes last night against a great team. I hope we can double that amount against the Gators this week. Honestly, it would not surprise me at all to see us give a winning effort and result this coming weekend. I'm looking forward to making the 5 hour trip this weekend from Durham.

GO Big Orange and let's hope the VOLS are ready to come out and fight again this coming week.

Please feel free to rip me now because of my optimism.

Last edited by RDU VOL#14; 09-12-2010 at 10:55 PM..
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-12-2010, 10:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
VFL--Vol For Life

I'm going to agree with you! Go vols!
Old 09-12-2010, 10:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

number five we just gave up i could see it all the way in the upper deck once he ran past them they made no attempt to catch up and they didnt pinch in like your supposed to cause they were to busy sulking but i think theyll be pumped for florida so no problem
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-12-2010, 10:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Something Feels Right

Apathy?
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-12-2010, 11:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

I won't rip on you because I feel the same way to a degree. We played well enough to hang with a top ten team when we weren't making fatal (yet correctable) errors. Chaney and Hinshaw have their work cut out for them in trying to get Simms to think and react like a D1 QB. For Wilcox, he needs to get the guys more oriented on fundamental tackling. It seemed like the players were in the right places just about every play last night but couldn't always make the tackle at the point of contact. These are things that will get better as the season progresses.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-12-2010, 11:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

I walked away disappointed, but encouraged for the long term.

X's and O's wise, we were in positions to win. It was lack of depth, youth, and some weak spots on the roster that did us in.

We could be a heck of a team in two years.
IPorange is offline   Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-12-2010, 11:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Chillaxing, brahs!!!!!!

Sec

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDU VOL#14 View Post
I almost feel guilty that I'm not more upset about losing by 35, and in a weird way I came away somewhat encouraged. Does anyone else feel this way? Maybe it's my lack of expectations for this years team, I don't know. I just didn't think we were that bad last night. Tired, yes...Bad, no.

I am one of the most competitive people I can think of, I hate to lose and I'm not one for moral victories, but I felt I saw enough good things from us to have a good feeling about the future. IMO there were 5 plays that went against us last night that changed the course of the game. I think these plays that went against us could have just as easily turned into a positive for us. Unfortunately, for an inexperienced team like ours any of these kind of plays can cause an avalanche that is impossible to recover from and that's exactly what happened.

1. The leading w/ the helmet penalty on Gordon. After watching the replay several times it look to me like he led w/ the shoulder. That turned 3rd and 10 into a 1st down and then touchdown drive. Huge momentum killer going into the half. 13-13 instead of 13-6 or 9 to me is a big deal.

2. Simms Pick 6. He got pressured made a bad throw and an even worse read. He threw to the outside receiver, but had Da'Rick wide open on a curl for a first down on the same side of the field. This can be fixed.

3. James long TD run. We had the guy trapped for a big loss and let him get away. No way that should've happened, kind of a fluke play. Majority of the time we make that tackle for a loss. I'm not taking anything from the guy, it was a helluva run, but not something you see often.

4. Waggner's missing the pick on the TD. To me it looked like he had good coverage and it went through his hands. I could be wrong on this one, but it looked like he could've made the pick.

5. Punt return for TD. I think of all the things that went wrong, this made me the most upset. The guy didn't even make a move to juke someone. It was a straight line run. I have confidence in our coaching staff's special teams track record and emphasis to feel that this coverage issue can be fixed also.

My point in listing these 5 plays is that these were all kind of fluke plays. These are things that can be fixed. I'm not stupid, I realize that these things happen during football games, but these are all things that could have easily gone the other way and would have made for a very different 2nd half. I am in no way suggesting we would have won, but the entire game would've been different. We had to play mistake free against Oregon to win and that didn't happen. Oregon is an outstanding team and I tip my cap to the Ducks for playing a great game and being better than us. The reality of it all, is that we played winning football for 30 minutes last night against a great team. I hope we can double that amount against the Gators this week. Honestly, it would not surprise me at all to see us give a winning effort and result this coming weekend. I'm looking forward to making the 5 hour trip this weekend from Durham.

GO Big Orange and let's hope the VOLS are ready to come out and fight again this coming week.

Please feel free to rip me now because of my optimism.
Just got back from Knoxville and I agree with a young and inexperienced team I saw the momentum change from bad calls to misreads in the D. Our offense can't leave the defense out there the whole second half three and out. We have to keep things in perspective considering we could of had a lot better first half because field goals against potent offenses usually lose games.(i.e. Fulmer and Majors) The real games start now with the SEC which Florida can be beaten. Realistically, Florida should wear our offense and defense down same way as Oregon but they don't run those fast, no huddle bs misdirection. It faked me out and I was watching from above the field. Things steamrolled and we got beat by bad calls and big plays. The coaching staff can fix most problems and we just need to attack and play the full 60 minutes. Anyway I'm looking for a win next week and see you Saturday to be loud and supportive for my VOLS!!GBO!:good! :
MY3*VOLS is offline   Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-12-2010, 11:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

I was mad, but you have some good points.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-12-2010, 11:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Merry Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmba93 View Post
Apathy?
No, i would never describe myself as apathetic when it comes to the University of Tennessee. Certainly not when it comes to UT football. People who watched the second half with me can attest to that.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-12-2010, 11:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
@StormTheGate

I was upset but I still felt pretty good

to be up on the #7 team in the nation and only go in tied at the half because of a late hit penalty gave me optimism that this team has some fight.

hughes' swagger and intensity had me hype all game too. for a unit that no one was respecting in the preseason, our d line showed a lot of energy all game. hughes was still slapping his helmet and waving towards the crowd even when we were down 21.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-12-2010, 11:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Something Feels Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDU VOL#14 View Post
No, i would never describe myself as apathetic when it comes to the University of Tennessee. Certainly not when it comes to UT football. People who watched the second half with me can attest to that.
The fumble we recovered after on the kick return was as much a fluke as the five plays you noted.

We simply are not ready for that level of competition and we are not close.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-12-2010, 11:12 PM   #12 (permalink)

First of all I would like to say hi to everyone on volnation. This is my first post after a while of lurking around lol. Anyways, I wasn't surprised about the score because I knew we would have a tough time with the spread. I did come away happy with how well th o-line did and how hard of a runner poole really is.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-12-2010, 11:17 PM   #13 (permalink)

I agree but I'd take it down to one play: Simms pick-six. My points:

(1) We played really well until the last three minutes of the half. Letting them tie it up gave them the boost they needed and took the wind out of our sails.

(2) I was worried about their first possession to start the 3rd. D stepped up and played like the 1st quarter. O goes 3 and out and then they make a quick strike. I thought that was the game changer. I was wrong - gladly.

(3) We get the kick and move the ball down field - well I might add. Looked to me like the first quarter. Then the pick-six. That was the game changer.

I told myself we're only down 2 scores and still have another quarter to play - it ain't that bad against this quality of a team. But we didn't have it in us to run with the big dogs anymore - whatever the reason: young team, tired, inexperience, heart.

If we put 4 quarters of effort together like the first half, these young men will be fun to watch - win or lose.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-12-2010, 11:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Something Feels Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_vol87 View Post
First of all I would like to say hi to everyone on volnation. This is my first post after a while of lurking around lol. Anyways, I wasn't surprised about the score because I knew we would have a tough time with the spread. I did come away happy with how well th o-line did and how hard of a runner poole really is.
Welcome to VN!!

I agree with those two positive surprises, although Justin Groves has said Poole was outstanding since the kid stepped on campus. Thus, I'm less surprised to see Poole do well.

The lack of O-line depth will destroy the Vols chance at a bowl game this season.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-12-2010, 11:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Merry Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmba93 View Post
The fumble we recovered after on the kick return was as much a fluke as the five plays you noted.

We simply are not ready for that level of competition and we are not close.
Well, I'm going to choose to believe that we are a little closer than you think.
Reply With Quote TOP