Offical Game Football

Hoss Diesel

Does UT use Wilson for it's official game balls? If so, how long have they used them.

I've got an unused Adidas Legend Series ball with a power T on it, that I'm told is a game ball. Perhaps its a practice ball. Will post pics if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

UT uses a Wilson game ball. The actual pattern is based upon the preference of the quarterback

UT uses a Wilson game ball. The actual pattern is based upon the preference of the quarterback, pretty much.

I thought so. The guy I got it from was a college kicker about 4 years ago. He was all conference, and I've seen his stats so he's legit. He got it when he went to UT for a game. I have no reason to believe he's a liar, I'm just not sure what the story with it is. I'll put some pics up in a bit.

Last edited:
The past couple years they've switched between the GST 1004 Pro Pattern and the GST 1003 collegiate. Ainge used one and Crompton used another, but I can't remember which one. It had to do with how they gripped it and their hand size.

The past couple years they've switched between the GST 1004 Pro Pattern and the GST 1003 collegiate. Ainge used one and Crompton used another, but I can't remember which one. It had to do with how they gripped it and their hand size.

Do you know where I can get one with a Power T on it? It would make a nice gift...to myself.

I believe Tennessee used Adidas in the late 90's/early 2000's.

I know for a fact they used Wilson from 2004 onwards.

In the pics from Media day a lot of the guys were holding a Rawlings ball with TENNESSEE across one side in orange and a huge orange Power T on the other side.

In the pics from Media day a lot of the guys were holding a Rawlings ball with TENNESSEE across one side in orange and a huge orange Power T on the other side.

That was a ball that James Bryant from s Scout brought and had players pose with.

UT has never used an adidas ball. Adidas didn't make balls until they purchased Baden in 2004.

Adidas asked UT to try out a new adidas-branded Baden model in spring practice 08 and again in 09. They kept the Wilson ball for game use. The one the original poster has may be one of these balls. They have also sold adidas and Baden replica balls at the bookstore with a Power T on them.

As for the Wilson game ball with the gold T that is used in games, those are not sold anywhere. The only way to get one is to steal it from the locker room or find someone that was given one and buy it from them on ebay.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

That was a ball that James Bryant from s Scout brought and had players pose with.

UT has never used an adidas ball. Adidas didn't make balls until they purchased Baden in 2004.

Adidas asked UT to try out a new adidas-branded Baden model in spring practice 08 and again in 09. They kept the Wilson ball for game use. The one the original poster has may be one of these balls. They have also sold adidas and Baden replica balls at the bookstore with a Power T on them.

As for the Wilson game ball with the gold T that is used in games, those are not sold anywhere. The only way to get one is to steal it from the locker room or find someone that was given one and buy it from them on ebay.

There are some branded with the T that have cosmetic defects and were rejected at the factory. I think those get donated or sold for youth football or something. I don't think they are for sale to the general public.

Is there a way to get ahold of ones used in practice that they've worn out?

Very interesting. I would have assumed that all footballs for all schools would be the same, per the NCAA or at least the same within the conferences.

Does the home team supply the balls for home games? If so, do our players practice with different balls (other schools home balls) the week before an away game?

Tennessee made the switch to the GST ball (black laces) in 2004.

And a visiting team has the option to bring their own ball. Rarely do both teams play with the same ball.

Very interesting. I would have assumed that all footballs for all schools would be the same, per the NCAA or at least the same within the conferences.

Does the home team supply the balls for home games? If so, do our players practice with different balls (other schools home balls) the week before an away game?

You run offense with your team's ball. That's why you'll see pictures of Eric Berry running with a Nike ball from time to time.

51zpeat3CCL.jpg

i believe that each team supplies their own balls. thats why there are two sets of ball boys on the sideline. those guys give the refs their respective balls when they are on offense or special teams for kicking balls.

Is there a way to get ahold of ones used in practice that they've worn out?

You can call the football office and check, but I haven't heard of them selling them. No idea what they do with them.

Occasionally, you'll see unused ones show up at University and UTAD charity auctions.

And isn't the power T on the game balls branded on?

VN Store

Back