Neyland vs. Bryant

Jeb

George Cafego tattoo
Bryant was 0-5-2 against Neyland. Yes, Bryant was at Kentucky but he was 60-23-6 there and had no losing seasons. Kentucky didn't "suck".

More head to head numbers are posted here:
Robert Neyland vs. Bear Bryant

awesome link, thanks,...... todays sportscaters always refer to "the legendary Bear bryant" but few know the Bear"s admiration for Neyland, i recently emailed Tom Mattingly asking him to do a piece on Bryant and Neyland, specifically: Bryants comments about Neyland... which were glowing as i remember but i cant find them now.... if i remember correctly Bryant said (paraphrasing) he was the best coach i ever encountered.

awesome link, thanks,...... todays sportscaters always refer to "the legendary Bear bryant" but few know the Bear"s admiration for Neyland, i recently emailed Tom Mattingly asking him to do a piece on Bryant and Neyland, specifically: Bryants comments about Neyland... which were glowing as i remember but i cant find them now.... if i remember correctly Bryant said (paraphrasing) he was the best coach i ever encountered.

"People think I'm the greatest damn coach in the world," said the great Bear Bryant, "but Neyland taught me everything I know."

One from Rockne, too:

"Bob Neyland was the best coach in the country...better than me, or any other coach." -Knute Rockne

One from Neyland

"You never know what a football player is made of until he plays against Alabama." -- Former Tennessee Coach Bob Neyland. 4
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Didn't you guys have like an entire season where noone scored on you when Neyland was the coach?

I posted this a while back and nobody cared. I guess noone loves me... (kicks rock)

College football has came along away since the days of Gen. Neyland. That begs the question, would there be all these problems with players if folks like Bob coached today?

Neyland was a great coach. You can also compare the Bear and the General to the fact that the Bear had 6 titles in 38 years while it only took 21 years for the General to get 4. That's one of my favorite stats. As much as I respect Bryant, nobody can forget about Neyland.

As was recently discussed on one of our boards, Neyland put up a good record against Frank Thomas, too, back when Frank was doing a pretty good job at 'Bama.

College football has came along away since the days of Gen. Neyland. That begs the question, would there be all these problems with players if folks like Bob coached today?

Probably not.

Until USC beat UT 14-0 in the Rose Bowl!

The General is one of the top 5 Coaches to ever Coach college football! Period!

Just a note but National Titles were handed out before Bowl games back in those days, and a bowl game was treated like a post season all star game. Meaning not the same kind of practice and preperation. Not to mention we probably took a train to the west coast.

Just a note but National Titles were handed out before Bowl games back in those days, and a bowl game was treated like a post season all star game. Meaning not the same kind of practice and preperation. Not to mention we probably took a train to the west coast.

I know.....My grand mom took a train from Jackson, Tn to the game...She was a UT student and went with 11 other students. Problem is....UT DID NOT WIN THE NC that year. SAD! 3 UT starters did not play in that game.

Yeah it's truly amazing, Bryant never defeated Neyland as a player or a coach.

I remember reading Bryant's biography and one of the things he said always irked him was that Neyland retired right before the year he felt like he was going to beat him.

One from Neyland

"You never know what a football player is made of until he plays against Alabama." -- Former Tennessee Coach Bob Neyland. 4

Much better version of that same theme:

"Tennessee sophomores don't deserve citizenship
papers until they have survived an Alabama game."

General Robert Neyland

Great post, All though I'm a old die hard UT fan I have a great respect for coach Bryant and what he did for the game of football in the south. (bash me if u want to I don't give a damn)

Gen. Neyland was the bear Bryant before bear Bryant he set the bar high then Bryant set it even higher. Both are the god fathers of sec football IMO.

My top 10 all time sec coaches:
1 Bob Neyland
2 Paul Bryant
3 Frank Thomas
4 Nick Saban
5 Urban myer
6 Vince Dooley
7 Steve Spurrier
8 Phil Fulmer
9 Johnny Vaught
10 Bobby Dodd

Honorable mention: Wally Butts Shug jordan