when was the last time there was a snow game at neyland?

BigSteve09

Moran
I was talking with a friend about snow games today, and I couldn't remember the last time that it was snowing during a game at Neyland.

I don't mean flurries, I mean what you think of when you hear the phrase "snow game".

I was talking with a friend about snow games today, and I couldn't remember the last time that it was snowing during a game at Neyland.

I don't mean flurries, I mean what you think of when you hear the phrase "snow game".

I've attended practically all home games since 1980 and I don't recall a game with even flurries....There've been some awfully cold games but no snow in these last 21 years....A friend tells me about being at a "snow" game sometime in the 70's......

And I have been going to games since 1970. But ther was a Kentucky game in the late 90's that it was too cold to snow. The stadium was pretty empty that day.

Usually we are done in November, and snow hardly ever hits hard in Tennessee that early.

Before anyone makes the claim, the absence of snow at Neyland is not 'yet another sign of global warming.'

I remember a game in the 20's against Kentucky sometime in the early 2000's, but it was cold and dry.

My Dad and uncle told me about it. Neyland beat Bryant on the way to the Cotton Bowl and a National Championship.

the kentucky game in 04 was pretty close, it was raining and in the low 30's the whole game. I think it had snowed/sleeted the week before

I have a picture titled Band Day, from the dress and cars I'm guessing late 40's or early 50's. Anyway, there's a good bit of snow on the ground. It's a great picture, in color.

I also have a picture of the 1950 Bama Tennessee game, also in color....but no snow.

If anyone can tell me how to insert the pictures I will, they're not up on a server.

I have been going to games since 1966 and can't recall any snow so perhaps this late 40's game is the only one.

And I have been going to games since 1970. But ther was a Kentucky game in the late 90's that it was too cold to snow. The stadium was pretty empty that day.

I remember a KY game in the early 90s that it flurried a bit but not much

Last edited:
It was in late October if I remember correctly...maybe Halloween. It definitely snowed that day, as my dad slid out into the middle of one of the busier roads in N. Knoxville coming down a hill off of a side road. There wasn't much, if any on the ground, but it was cold, wet, and definitely snowing (flurries). Steve Tanneyhill was the SC quarterback.

I have a picture titled Band Day, from the dress and cars I'm guessing late 40's or early 50's. Anyway, there's a good bit of snow on the ground. It's a great picture, in color.

I also have a picture of the 1950 Bama Tennessee game, also in color....but no snow.

If anyone can tell me how to insert the pictures I will, they're not up on a server.

I have been going to games since 1966 and can't recall any snow so perhaps this late 40's game is the only one.

well tennessee didnt play in the cotton bowl in 1950. can you check pictures of tennessee alabama from 1951 and 1953? these are two seasons we were in the cotton bowl. thanks

dont remember any games in neyland

Was at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas when we played Kansas State with snow and sleet. Absolutely miserable

well tennessee didnt play in the cotton bowl in 1950. can you check pictures of tennessee alabama from 1951 and 1953? these are two seasons we were in the cotton bowl. thanks

That might be true, but a 15 second search did show me that we did play in the Cotton Bowl on 1-1-51 and did win at least one of the national championships for the 1950 season. It might not have snowed when UT played Kentucky that year, but every other part of dunwoodyvol's post was accurate.

An Inch of Sleet covered the field for a few minutes in 1988...Boston College

There might have been a little snow during the '93 Louisville game. There was certainly some sleet.

Yeah, the 93 Louisville game.... I was 13 at the time.... there was an end around punt return in that game, if I remember correctly, and the same thing happened the next year vs washington state.... oh the years when we had special teams * sniff *

I can't be positive but I thought there were some flurries in the 1990 game against Notre Dame. It was cold at the very least.

I was at a KY game several years ago (Jared Lorenzan was the KY QB) and it was freezing. IIRC snow showers were in the forecast, but they never happened...maybe some flurries, but it was definitely overcast. Sitting just below the jumbotron, it was pretty windy, too. Coldest game I've ever been to at Neyland.

I took my girlfriend (now my wife of 8 years) to a Vandy game back in the late 90s. It was a night game, freezing and drizzling the entire game. We sat low, next to the band, so the wind wasn't too bad. It was her first TN game and, despite the weather, she thought it was awesome.

I remember a KY game in the early 90s that it flurried a bit but not much

I remember that game. I think it sleeted and spit snow but nothing real serious. The reason I remember it is I decided I didn't have enough warm weather gear on before I walked over to the stadium. Behind my truck seat I had a pair of camo insulated coveralls. I pulled them on and headed to the stadium. I didn't think to empty the pockets. When I got in the stadium I put my hands in a pocket and realized I had some deer pee. Checking another pocket I realized there was several rounds of 338 Winchester Mag ammo and a spare magazine for a 1911. Whoops.

VN Store

Back