Dooley will mind his own business

YankeeVol

To some, war is hell. To us, it’s sanctuary.
As per ESPN College Football Rumors:

Unlike predecessor Lane Kiffin, new coach Derek Dooley has his blinders on. Dooley said on Tuesday at the SEC meetings that he will not be sticking his nose in other schools' business, which Kiffin did on a regular basis. "I watch other coaches and how they handle themselves," Dooley said. "You can learn a lot of what to do and what not to do. It wasn't my style, but that's Lane's style. I'm not here to criticize his style. Everybody's a little different. I don't think it helps you win football games getting in verbal attacks with each other."

Dooley also defended his low-key approach to the job (he has been criticized for not making enough public appearances). "I did come in and it was quite different from the predecessor in that I wasn't trying to make headlines," Dooley said. "Our program needed somebody to get their arms around it and our team needed someone to get their arms around them and start forging a little plan of where we're going. At the end of the day, a good headline in February or March isn't going to win you any football games."

Unfortunately for Dooley and the Vols, as we told you, Tennessee may not be winning many football games for a while -- headlines or not.

I don't care if CDD doesn't say a word to anyone outside of the program, as long as he takes care of the boys and puts them in the best place to succeed, he is doing his job.

Don't forget winning...taking care of the boys is nice and all but you won't keep your job unless you win

As per ESPN College Football Rumors:

Unlike predecessor Lane Kiffin, new coach Derek Dooley has his blinders on. Dooley said on Tuesday at the SEC meetings that he will not be sticking his nose in other schools' business, which Kiffin did on a regular basis. "I watch other coaches and how they handle themselves," Dooley said. "You can learn a lot of what to do and what not to do. It wasn't my style, but that's Lane's style. I'm not here to criticize his style. Everybody's a little different. I don't think it helps you win football games getting in verbal attacks with each other."

Dooley also defended his low-key approach to the job (he has been criticized for not making enough public appearances). "I did come in and it was quite different from the predecessor in that I wasn't trying to make headlines," Dooley said. "Our program needed somebody to get their arms around it and our team needed someone to get their arms around them and start forging a little plan of where we're going. At the end of the day, a good headline in February or March isn't going to win you any football games."

Unfortunately for Dooley and the Vols, as we told you, Tennessee may not be winning many football games for a while -- headlines or not.

SGM writes for ESPN?

Don't forget winning...taking care of the boys is nice and all but you won't keep your job unless you win

If he takes care of the freshman so that they STAY in school to become sophomores, then he is doing what he needs to win in the long run as well imo.

I think with the lack of depth and experience.....if this team stays focused and competitive....win or lose....then that will be a testament to Dooley's coaching ability and skills as a motivator. When Fulmer would be getting whipped he always seemed to just clap his hands and lay down (except for that LSU game after Katrina) but will Dooley do the same? I don't think after the clips I've seen from some of those LaTech games that he is a lay down coach. He goes all "Lou Holtz" on the side lines back in his Notre Dame days on his players kind of coach. I kinda like that in a coach myself.

I like the Dooley hire....granted I would have preferred Gruden, but DD WANTS to be at Tennessee..he said it's a destination job not a stepping stone job. He knows what it's gonna take to coach in the SEC and succeed.

VN Store

Back