Could SEC go from first to worst?

Ericvol2096

Quiz'N'Vol
Expounding On Expansion: Why The SEC Should Be Working Right Now MrSEC.com

I found this article and I think it has valid points.

All of us clammoring that the SEC "is the Best" "We don't need no change"

"No One can stop us" may need to rethink our situation.

This is going to be one of the most influencial plays in conference expansion history, up there with the SEC forming the original "Super" conference.

The SEC needs to have a plan and have a good plan...nothing that just includes adding a GT and Clemson.

We need teams that help us expand our Market and keep us financially viable in the future.

Tennessee needs the SEC to stay at the top of the conference barrell as it is one of our few recruiting pitches that we have. If the SEC fell, FL, LSU, Bama, and Georgia could stay competitive nationally...Tennessee not as much.:cray:

Any more thoughts after reading this?

Expounding On Expansion: Why The SEC Should Be Working Right Now MrSEC.com

I found this article and I think it has valid points.

All of us clammoring that the SEC "is the Best" "We don't need no change"

"No One can stop us" may need to rethink our situation.

This is going to be one of the most influencial plays in conference expansion history, up there with the SEC forming the original "Super" conference.

The SEC needs to have a plan and have a good plan...nothing that just includes adding a GT and Clemson.

We need teams that help us expand our Market and keep us financially viable in the future.

Tennessee needs the SEC to stay at the top of the conference barrell as it is one of our few recruiting pitches that we have. If the SEC fell, FL, LSU, Bama, and Georgia could stay competitive nationally...Tennessee not as much.:cray:

Any more thoughts after reading this?

If FL, LSU, Bama, and Georgia are still competitive nationally, then the SEC would still be one of the best if not the best conference in college football, which would make it pretty much the same as it is now.

If the SEC expands, it should try really hard to get some kind of presence in Texas. Obviously, U. of Texas is the prize, but I would even go to TCU if necessary.

Is the Big10 just adding one team for a 12 team conference? If so, I think the SEC is fine right now. If the Pac10 also expands, or the Big10 expands to 16, then the SEC should look into bringing in some big time schools to maintain its "Super" conference status.

The other conferences are already in larger markets than the SEC. If conference power were determined by population, the SEC wouldn't fare so well.

The other conferences are already in larger markets than the SEC. If conference power were determined by population, the SEC wouldn't fare so well.
Thats not really true. They have larger single markets but the SEC is the whole south. Other conferences are fractured. The big East and ACC compete for the same markets as do the PAC-10, WAC and Big 12. The SEC is pretty much a monopoly on the whole southeast with no real competitors. Not only that the Southeast especially and the South is general is where Football is a year round sport (to the fans). Fans that would be considered casual here are what the other conferences have as their hardcore base.

I think most people are missing the point here. The point is, let the Big 10 and Big 12 do whatever they want to, because as long as high school football is being played in the south, the SEC will be a top tier conference. Always. The only way that changes is if there is a sudden decline in the high school football quality and/or player development quality. Which won't happen, because....this is the football crazy south, and the vast majority of the atheletes from this region will play close to home. that's just how it is.

The Big 10 expansion is about money, not so much about the football quality IMO.

not to write off what you said but it's the SEC. plain and simple. we care about football 10x more than anybody else in the country, save texas. the southeastern conference will be fine, i can assure you.

I guess it's possible but I just don't see the SEC loosing the crown, especially in football, to any other conference, even after the expansions. The southeastern states, particularly Florida, Georgia, & Louisiana, are talent rich states and produce enough talent to keep us at least on par with the rest of the country. Plus, college football is part of the culture in the Southest and the schools in the SEC know that.

Even if the Pac-10 or Big-10 add schools, they still wouldn't beat the level of talent or competition that the SEC has.

My thoughts on the SEC are simple. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Last edited:
Just because Georgia gets talent doesn't mean they're going to hang with Florida, Bama or even LSU, don't forget they have CPF light for a head coach. Georgia might be decent in a given year but Richt isn't going through Meyer and Saban for a conference title. They're almost in the same boat we are, except with a much bigger recruiting base to pull from. Georgia should adopt Phillip's old motto "Do less with More.

I agree with most of what everyone is saying, I just think the SEC's expansion rebuttle to whatever the big 10 pac 10 ect do, needs to focus on keeping us financially competitive but also adding quality teams. we don't need to go get Houston just to get in Texas, but we should look at A&M before Clemson because they are a new market, not because they are in our SE footprint.

Thats not really true. They have larger single markets but the SEC is the whole south. Other conferences are fractured. The big East and ACC compete for the same markets as do the PAC-10, WAC and Big 12. The SEC is pretty much a monopoly on the whole southeast with no real competitors. Not only that the Southeast especially and the South is general is where Football is a year round sport (to the fans). Fans that would be considered casual here are what the other conferences have as their hardcore base.

Ever heard of the ACC? They have schools in Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Florida. That sounds an awful lot like the southeast to me.

I remember a few years ago when the ACC added a few teams there was talk of them being a super conference that would dwarf the SEC. Now, their BCS bid is barely justifiable.

The SEC has a plan, bank on that.

If we have to expand to keep up, then we will do so, we won't get Texas but that doesn't mean that we can't add very competitive teams.

Something tells me that if the SEC is still dominating the polls at the end of every season that this will be irrelevant. Everyone knows that the voters love to low ball the SEC in the pre-season polls and try to jack up your O-State's and USC's but the end of the season is what matters. The Big Ten could have had every team in the country in the last 4 seasons and the SEC would have still won the National Championship 4 years in a row.

I believe that if the SEC is still winning and on top then it wouldn't matter how "Powerful" these other conferences are. People from TX, OK, CA, etc. all go to the SEC if they want to play some real football.

Again, the key thing to remember in this discussion is that quality of football has NOTHING, ZIP, ZERO NADA to do with whether or not it will expand.

Even if the Big Ten expands to sixteen, the SEC could stand pat and still be the toughest conference in the country. However the Big Ten would then be making a MUCH larger amount of money than the SEC, and that's where it counts.

Just something to keep in mind.

And if you think Texas will join the SEC, you need to get your head checked.

Something tells me that if the SEC is still dominating the polls at the end of every season that this will be irrelevant. Everyone knows that the voters love to low ball the SEC in the pre-season polls and try to jack up your O-State's and USC's but the end of the season is what matters. The Big Ten could have had every team in the country in the last 4 seasons and the SEC would have still won the National Championship 4 years in a row.

I believe that if the SEC is still winning and on top then it wouldn't matter how "Powerful" these other conferences are. People from TX, OK, CA, etc. all go to the SEC if they want to play some real football.

I believe that the SEC is in any danger whatsoever, and I think that the article that was linked to the OP was rather ridiculous. However, the point that was being made in that article (and that most people here seem to be missing) was that if the other power conferences become so large that they're able to dominate the TV contracts, that will heavily impact the ability of the SEC to compete in recruiting. Many of the best players will go wherever they get the most TV exposure. That is a strength of the SEC right now.

Last edited:
I believe that the SEC is in any danger whatsoever, and I think that the article that was linked to the OP was rather ridiculous. However, the point that was being made in that article (and that most people here seem to be missing) was that if the other power conferences become so large that they're able to dominate the TV contracts, that will heavily impact the ability of the SEC to compete in recruiting. Many of the best players will go wherever they get the most TV exposure. That is a strength of the SEC right now.

Well, the thing is... networks will put winners on tv. If the big ten fills their conference with teams like missouri, rutgers, pitt, and whoever else than cbs and espn are still going to pick big name, big talent schools (sec schools) to rule their programming. They want the best games on tv, and they are smart enough to pick the best games in order to please viewers. Pleasing viewers means letting them watch the sec.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Yea, and didn't the S.E.C just last year sign the biggest T.V deal in the history of football ? I think we'll be alright nomatter what.

Quote fom EricVol2096, "Tennessee needs the SEC to stay at the top of the conference barrell as it is one of our few recruiting pitches that we have."

Um. How about a top ten all time winning % and wins, possibly the greatest fans in the country,the 3rd largest stadium in the country, top 3 facilities in the country, NFL PIPELINE, and just to throw in that it is one of the most beautiful places on the planet in E. Tennessee. But besides that, you are correct, how on earth will we recruit?

Last edited:
What if you look at the other side........... What if we stayed the same ?
-The so called "super confs" would beat each other 2 times a year
-We have at least 10-20 yrs viability due to ESPN contract and tradition of winning that won't stop soon
-Also the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country
-Kids will be on TV 4 nights a week no matter what, why not be where Mom actually can watch on TV
-Money won't be the issue, TV time won't be the issue, Talent won't be the issue, Coaching Talent won't be the issue..........
-We stay the same, keep pumping out NFL players and high caliber competion.

Everyone else is trying to react to our "percieved" or REAL dominance as a conference. We shouldn't bring any other school under our umbrella unless somewhere waaay down the road we NEED to. The SEC is the Mountain others wish to climb. As long as we stay strong there's no need to change.
This coming from someone who rearranges furniture every year. Change is good.........unless its done to benefit someone else.

They (being other confs) want us to change, they wish to break up our "thing" which is quite unique today. They think they can force us to add/subtract or make an = move, anything to disturb the Dominance we have.
My 2 cents............blast away !

I guess it's possible but I just don't see the SEC loosing the crown, especially in football, to any other conference, even after the expansions. The southeastern states, particularly Florida, Georgia, & Louisiana, are talent rich states and produce enough talent to keep us at least on par with the rest of the country. Plus, college football is part of the culture in the Southest and the schools in the SEC know that.

Even if the Pac-10 or Big-10 add schools, they still wouldn't beat the level of talent or competition that the SEC has.

My thoughts on the SEC are simple. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

An article in a recent SI laid out several scenarios. I forget who wrote the article, but I could quickly find out. Basically he speculated that in the most ambitious expansion scenario by the Big 10, the big 12 would be left pretty much decimated and the SEC would winning a bidding war with the Pac-10 to get Texas, and would also pick up Oklahoma, Texas A&M, and one more that I can't remember.

Other than the fact that the conference would become even better and tougher to compete in, if the SEC can land Texas and Oklahoma, it does it.

Yea, and didn't the S.E.C just last year sign the biggest T.V deal in the history of football ? I think we'll be alright nomatter what.

But the B10 still gets more TV revenue from the B10 network than the SEC does from its deal with ESPN.

VN Store

Back